Penns Creek Questions

T

Tiogadog

I have spent the last day searching through the archives of the site for information regarding Penns creek. While that search has been very informative, I figure it might just be easier to ask my questions in new thread. So here goes...

My family and I are planning to camp for a few days at Poe Valley. We have the flexibility of going anytime from May 29 - June 14. Whenever we go, it will be Sunday though Wednesday.

1. Is it worth going up when the Drakes are supposed to be happening? Are the crowds so bad as to be prohibitive?

2. Would it be better to go after the Drakes have started to wain or am I just letting all of the talk of crowds intimidate me?

I have fished in Central PA for close to 25 years but somehow have never made it to Penns Creek. So I am pretty excited just to be on the water regardless of crowds, but I have the flexibility with scheduling to try and optimize my visit.

Thanks for all of the help

T

Yes, it gets swamped during the Drake hatch.

At one of my favorite spots on the lower end of Penns, which sees much less traffic than other parts of the stream, it is literally lined with fisherman. I imagine Poe Paddy is probably swamped as well. It is a fun hatch to fish, if you are OK with putting up with some crowds. If you are going in the middle of the week, and the hatch is on, then I imagine there will likely be less people around than usual.

Additionally, there are plenty of other productive hatches on Penns you can fish as well that do not get as crowded as the Green Drake.

If you are planning to camp at Poe Paddy at those times you better make reservations ASAP. It gets full, if it isn't already.
An old timer told me years ago the best time to fish Penns is before the drakes. But the drakes are "usually" around Memorial weekend, give or take a few days. There are always people at Penns...but there always seems to be room to fish. Don't let the crowds scare you off, the hatches are worth the trip.

Agree- if you can get a spot. There are campgrounds around that are fairly close if you get shut out in the State park campground.

The drakes are something to see if your in the right spots where the main hatch is coming off. You can be a mile or two away from main hatch and not have nearly the amount of action.

Space to me isnt that big deal cause the drakes come off near and at dark so you really can’t move around and only effectively Fish a small amount of water.

Based on your time frame I’d say the early part of your dates would be better.

It’s still a bug factory after the drakes. Had a great rainy post drake day near there last year—crane fly heaven! Skip the crowds!

He said he was going to camp at Poe Valley, not Poe Paddy, just to clear that up. Poe Valley is definitely the less primitive of the two state parks but either one would be a great choice to stay at. As others have mentioned I'd book the dates ASAP if it were me.

Don't let the crowds scare you. Penns is an awesome stream and there are many other productive waters within a very short drive if you find Penns to be too crowded.

Thanks for all of the information.

I did book two nights at Poe Valley. I opted for days during the first full week of June. Certainly looking forward to it.

Stategery:

Pick the hottest part of the day and head out with about 6 anglers.

Scout the areas you are interested in fishing, and stage nearby with your posse if the targeted stretch is occupied. Wait your turn.

As you can or will, attempt a total takeover of a likely area and place the point man directly in the riffle; your 1st wing should be at the very lip of the riffle, then spread out in the initial run(s) concluding with your anchor-man in the slower pool portion of your chosen segment of stream.

Set up "camp," more or less in the middle of your area. Populate camp with various FF items, such as coolers and vests and additional clothing items.

Now that you have secured your area somewhat, don't be surprised if some stranger finds room between the members of your posse. Whether or not, rotate anglers so that at any given time, two of the group can be sitting on the bank, at "camp," enjoying a beer or other nip from the cooler.

Those in the water should pretend to fish and can even pick up rocks to see if anything other than them are ready to emerge. As long as you cast every minute or so, others will believe you are actually fishing and probably not try to crowd you from the left or the right.

In the event a stranger does attempt a "slip in," you must make an effort to befriend your fellow angler. Invite him to have a drink at camp with your other two pals. If he declines and seems intent to fish his spot, then you need to encourage him to accept your offer in the following way: upstream partner steps unnoticed downstream; if necessary, downstream partner steps unnoticed upstream; as the squeeze progresses, intruder will become aware and may begin to initiate conversation.

At this point, you both step in the same direction, ignore his entreaty, and keep doing your thing. Take your turn at camp only after the intruder moves along.

If it's sunny, wear sunscreen; stay until dark 30.

"What is how to fish the Green Drake Hatch on Penn's Creek, Alex?"

I have seen several "posse" perform this act the few times that I have made it to penns during the green drake hatch.

^Pretty much that.

If you're running low on beer and someone intrudes into your claimed territory I like the following play...

"Look buddy, we only came here to drink some beers and kick some butt. Looks like we're almost outta beer." - This works better if you're wearing bootfoot camo waders, and you turn your hat around backwards.

Serious portion of post:

I've seen the Drakes. It's cool. But not from a fishing catching perspective.

The fish seem to like to eat sulphurs better, and I'd rather actually fish those a couple weeks earlier.

The hatch and circus-like atmosphere is something to see once in your fly fishing lifetime. That’s about all I have to say about that.

In all seriousness, I prefer to stay away from the entire debacle, but I’m glad to have figured that out by at least giving it a try and not based on someone else’s advise. If my arm gets twisted enough and someone does convince me to go during drake time, I tend to prefer sleep during the day and fish at night.

Back