Penn State research on brook trout

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

Fisherman needed for research

https://youtu.be/9ZUGDIUh1Ak

Thanks for sharing the video!

Thanks for sharing, I passed the link along to a few local members of TU.

Interesting research. (Those of us who are technically challenged would not be able to participate in this manner.) Anyhow, it looks like a worthwhile project.

gray card requested. Sarah is a talented biologist and it will be interesting to see the outcome of her study.

Thanks, now if I could only catch a brook trout

I ordered a few cards, but trying to figure out how the geographical location of a fish, it's size and color tone provides enough data to preserve a resource. No, I'm not a scientist

Not a biologist either, but my interpretation of efforts like this is: Different color tones and size/shape of body, spot patterns, etc could be a result of subtle genetic differences, and if certain features are more common in one area of the state those fish may have different genes that make them better adapted to the environment in those areas.

As for how you apply that knowledge to conserving the species, it could be as simple as taking hardier strains and using them to shore up populations in decline. For example maybe SE PA brookies can tolerate warmer water and those genes could be intentionally mixed into mountain populations as water temps warm in decades to come and the mountain strains of fish begin to struggle. It's likely not that simple, and I hope I'm not doing a disservice to the real science here with that example.

I'm interested to see what comes of this project and signed up to participate.

BREAKING NEWS: PSU Justifies taking pictures of EVERY 4" brook trout you catch.

I kid.

Or do I?

PennKev wrote:
BREAKING NEWS: PSU Justifies taking pictures of EVERY 4" brook trout you catch.

I kid.

Or do I?

Well played Kev.
:lol:

I asked Sara if she had a written description of the study (intents, methodology, how aggregate data would be shared, since even slightly randomizing coordinates might still out a few fragile populations of fish, whether the app requires Internet access to submit data at the time of catch, etc.). It's interesting how easy people will fill out a random Google form attached to a video about trout research... Would make for an interesting phishing research project as well - how much info will people give up to an anonymous Google form :)

I can say from the few thousand fish I've caught in my life, there is a tremendous variety of spots and coloration in fish even in a single stream. If there is a way to coax out a general trend, it is not something that has been immediately obvious to me, but that is purely anecdotal and my sample size of fish is relatively low and clustered around a relatively low number of streams, statistically speaking. It will be interesting to see if any conclusions can be drawn from the research.

Nothing GPS Mocking doesnt solve. You didnt hear? All the data passes through Mr Evanko first, its safe.

mute wrote:
Nothing GPS Mocking doesnt solve. You didnt hear? All the data passes through Mr Evanko first, its safe.

A personal friend was asked by Mr woolybugged to fish together and potentially promote a YouTube video jointly on a local stream to him. Needless to say woolybugged was there a few days later and made his own video....

Woolybugged also a short time ago used to name some very small brook trout streams that subsequently received significant angling pressure in short order.

In regards to the penn state study, I would likely have more concern over poor handling and picture taking than I would exposing locations. I participated in a tco state college fly fishing competition a while back where we had to take pictures of various fish species with a ruler in the background. Without a partner this was very challenging to do while also practicing safe handling.

Cooperating with people doing electrofishing surveys would probably be a more efficient approach to this.

Troutbert,

My guess would be that the PSU crew is well connected with PFBC and other electrofishing crews across the state. These crews also can only get to so many streams in a given year and enlisting anglers may help provide a more geographically diverse and unique dataset.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
mute wrote:

A personal friend was asked by Mr woolybugged to fish together and potentially promote a YouTube video jointly on a local stream to him. Needless to say woolybugged was there a few days later and made his own video....

Woolybugged also a short time ago used to name some very small brook trout streams that subsequently received significant angling pressure in short order.

In regards to the penn state study, I would likely have more concern over poor handling and picture taking than I would exposing locations. I participated in a tco state college fly fishing competition a while back where we had to take pictures of various fish species with a ruler in the background. Without a partner this was very challenging to do while also practicing safe handling.

I didnt add my "" tags :D, glad you caught on though.

Back