Penknife: What is your everyday carry

Baron

Baron

Victorinox Silver Pioneer Alox.
RAZOR sharp at all times it is great for breaking down panfish.

Attachments

• IMG_3800.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3800.JPG.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4
My pocket knife is J.A. Henckel drop blade gifted to me by my grandfather.

I've done everything from skin a coon to eat apples with it (not the same day).

I recently got an old steel, and some old high-carbon butcher knives. That steel puts a good edge on my pocket knife.

I passed one of the Henchel offices in Stamford CT the other day. I couldn't resist and I looked up their vintage Droppoint pocket knives and they're sharp.

I carry a Zero Tolerance 0350TS and a Case John Wayne Cancer Foundation peanut.

My everyday is a leatherman

Baron wrote:
Victorinox Silver Pioneer Alox.
I usually have a very similar Victorinox Alox, now discontinued which has a small pen blade instead of the awl/punch in the "watch" pocket of my jeans and a Mini Champ Alox on my key ring.

I also have a bunch of Case and other fancy handled folders I carry on occasion.

And if I'm fishing, there is always a Swiss Army knife with a saw blade & scissors somewhere...

Never saw a Zero tolerance until now. Expensive, rugged.
I have a leatherman at the tying desk.

The Victorinox Pioneer is available with a pair of scissors in place of the p38 styled can opener. Time to upgrade for me.

Gerber paraframe. Pretty inexpensive but versatile and holds an edge.

Kershaw 3/4 Ton. Had a One Ton, but lost it fishing and couldn’t find another to replace it. Great knives at beater prices ($20-$30). Heavy duty enough to baton wood in a pinch.

(I also have a small Leatherman in my fishing pack but don’t usually use the knife on it. Have it for pliers and screwdrivers for emergency repairs. Though by far, the most often used feature is the bottle opener.)

Case red stag small pen knife that I carry all of the time and a Buck 110 folding knife in my fishing pack, which I've had forever, and the original Leatherman that I keep in my vehicle.

I fished with the maker of the knife a few years ago in NY. Wouldn't carry this, but wow!. http://www.hoffmanknives.com/hk_1mainframe.htm?hk_gallery_knife-wh8-7.htm~main

I have been carrying a fixed blade knife most of my life.
My current is a full tang Damascus steel skinning knife.
Very sharp.
Use it a lot.

Have carried a variety of small blades over the years and don't have one in particular these days.

My fishing vest has a cheap but sharp small lock blade of some generic model. I don't carry a knife on a daily basis as I'm a teacher and the very sight of the tiniest pen-knife can cause apoplexy from too many folks these days.

Since being issued a Gerber multi-tool by Uncle Sam, I have long been a fan of these gadgets. I like the Gerber due to being able to open it with one hand - very tough and versatile.

I have a half dozen or so of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-Folding-Pocket-Knife-Model-059L-SS-Lockback-Pennsylvania-Afield-Advert-/254389418661 from back 20+ years ago when I was doing sales and distribution for the (fill in the blank) Afield publications out of Altoona. A couple/three Pennyslvanias, a New York or two and an Ohio and maybe a Michigan or Wisconsin, I forget. They are nice little Case single blade instruments, very sharp and compact. I don't carry one every day though. I'm a bit of a fumble bumble and and need to limit my exposure to sharp implements more than most of you, I'd imagine...:) I usually carry one with me when I'm out in my inflatable yak though. Every once in a while, my grapnel anchor gets fatally hung on a submerged log. One dose of sawing through 3/8" poly rope with my nippers was more than enough for me...

I don't carry a knife all the time, but I carry a 425 Mini Buck knife for fishing.

We should make up a poster of all these over the winter. Quite a collection.
I find penknives are very personal and something others remember about us.
My grandsons, young as they are (6-13) have me pegged as a Swiss Army guy while my boys carry fast draw ker shaw and so forth. When their beer needs open they borrow my knife.

My grandfather always carried a Barlow pocket knife. He'd slice apples for us kids with that knife. He also cleaned out the hooves of cows with the same knife.

But he always wiped the blade on his overalls before slicing the apples.

I've had 4 of these in 35years and the Pal for many years before that and while on the farm we all carried 3-5 dollar Barlows. I bet I've lost 12-15 over the years. Anyway this is what I carry to clean, butcher, slice and cut with and its what I lend out on Christmas morn when the grandkids open gifts. I'd gladly trade the can opener for the scissors.

My Dad and friends from church have a cabin near Gold on Scovill Road. Dad is gone now but the rest of the group is still intact.

Back