Peck's Pond

mszoke1802

mszoke1802

I used to fish this pond a few years ago a couple times a season, but have heard it may have been drained to rebuild/fix a dam. Does anyone know what the condition of lake is in?
Thx

wow, grew up as a small kid fishing there. Our family had a cabin on the back side of the lake. was great pickerel lake.

You got that right Bob , I use to go up there when I was a kid
My sisters in laws still have a cabin up there

My parents/family have a cabin on the lake, Fishing has dropped off some what due to the weeds. For Pecks ponds flies i tie weed guards on all of them. I like yellow or white marabou muddler minnows for pickeral and poppers work for bass. My cousin last year did well with a frog lure but he fishes gear. Also talked to someone who caught a tiger muskie in there but i dont know about that.

Pecks pond was once a gem. Great fishing for bass, perch and pickerel. I stopped fishing it 20 years ago. It's silty, shallow and gets matted in weeds to the point where fishing becomes to frustrating. If your gonna fish it go now before the weeds get thick. But, I have not fished it for years so I really don't know the current conditions.

mszoke1802 wrote:
I used to fish this pond a few years ago a couple times a season, but have heard it may have been drained to rebuild/fix a dam. Does anyone know what the condition of lake is in?
Thx

No, to my knowledge, it has not been drained. Two other lakes up in that area had been drained in the last fee years for dam repair. Perhaps that is what you're thinking about? I was up there hunting in both November & again in January and Peck's Pond was full. I also fished it a few years ago, its gotten shallower and weedier but still seemed to hold the expected warm water fish it always did.

There are plenty of fish still in there. Be prepared with weedless flies and don't forget some streamers to fish in the "open" water. There are enough weeds and other structural and cover elements on this body of water to keep the fish from only relating to the pads and other obvious targets. In my gear chucking days, I had real good success tossing spinnerbaits out into the middle of nowhere instead of at all the visible shorline targets. Can't see why that wouldn't work with flies as well.

I can not remember that lake ever being without weeds, it was always weedy. its a shame they put other species in, was just a pickerel and perch for years. my grandfather told stories of 30" pickerel in there and he spent his youth there. once muskies were put in the pickerel pop. went down the tube. jitter bugs were always great in the evenings, and poppers moved just right always worked in the evenings. another great lake going downhill because the fish commish decided it needed more species in it. should have been a special reg. lake years ago.

on a side note in winter there used to be snowmobile drag races on the lake. I ran there with a machine, was a great time

My grandfather and I use to use cedar plugs with a propeller on each end ,caught 72 pickerel one day and only one was big enough to keep ,15" min size

There are still some big pickerel in there but not like there used to be. If you're after big pickerel in that area check out Shohola.

Fished Shohola many times too ,great for pickerel

Attachments

• 5-15-2015 8-11-19 PM.jpg Shohola.jpg small.jpg
    5-15-2015 8-11-19 PM.jpg Shohola.jpg small.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 7
thanks for updates, maybe I'll check out Shohola instead.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Pecks-Pond/1547831918763774?fref=ts

If you go to shohola, don't overlook the monster blue gills that are in there. Last time I fished there, my buddy and I completely forgot about the bass and pickerel that we set out to target and decided to play with the blue gills for the day due to their size and the numbers we found.

Back