Paying it Forward

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

The very heart beat of this site is how it treats beginners and helps foster our sport. It's always impressed me. You cant find a better forum in PA much less online anywhere for the sheer knowledge and volume of it on this site. Paflyfish has always had the motto of paying it forward.
I like that.

A little bit ago, I have acquired the rest of my farmhouse. It has been amazingly stressful keeping the property while balancing life and of course finding the time to fish.

In so many ways I am very blessed. Reached a point where I know what i like, what I will do and just enjoying it. Now that I have a fishing room and my stuff isn't here, there and everywhere, I really got to see how much nice fishing stuff I have and don't even use.
Cup run over.

The other week there was a thread on here of a Dad looking for a reel for his son. Well I had a little 3/4 Battenkill Click Paw not getting used anymore. That reel has been all over the state and caught hundreds of fish before being retired for a CFO. I spooled it up with Cortland 20lb Mircon HiViz orange backing and Orvis Hydros 3D WF5F line that was used but in 80 percent condition and then shipped it to him. I figured a ten year old boy would love it more than I was.

I never expect anything in return when I do this. In fact, I would be insulted if the person sent me money. I just want people to enjoy the sport. Especially a Dad and a son fishing together.
It is how I got started and I often think of my Dad when fishing.

The other day I received a very nice thank you card from the young man. Made my heart melt. You know, no one sends Thank You cards anymore. I never get mail like that except from a few people im close with, really made my month got to tell you. I hang all my daughters fish pictures and stuff in my fishing room. This card has a place on "the wall."
Thanks Tavian.
Go catch a bunch!

Let's keep the spirit of this going. Often one nice gesture leads to another that leads to another that...and this fine young man kept it alive.

I still have a bunch of stuff. I think in the spirit that Tavian is just beginning his fly-fishing journey, I would like to help a few more beginners.
I just have way too many flies. Seriously. Bugs will eat them all before I get to use them. Its not that I don't fish, its just I have that many:lol:

This "old timer" is not a commercial tier, half these flies I didn't even tie. These are high end quality flies like orvis etc.....so I hope the mods are ok with this. This is not to promote my own flies.

I have 3 circular day of the week pill organizers i bought at dollar tree (one dollar each). Great little fly box on the cheap BTW.
I filled these to the brim with the following flies:

MONDAY
16 Light Cahill Parachute Flies Various sizes

TUESDAY
8 Light Cahill Dry Flies Various sizes
1 White Miller Dry Fly
1 White Wulff

WEDNESDAY
1 Yellow Humpty Dry Fly
5 Sulphur Parachute Flies Various Sizes
6 Sulphur Dry Flies Various Sizes
3 Pale Morning Dun Dry Flies

THURSDAY
5 Sulphur Parachute Flies Various Sizes
4 Sulphur Spinners
5 Sulphur Wet Flies Various Sizes
2 Sulphur Emergers Various Sizes

FRIDAY
8 March Brown Dry Flies Various Sizes
3 March Brown Wet Flies

SATURDAY
14 Hendrickson Dry Flies Various Sizes

SUNDAY
2 Adams Dry Flies
2 Adams Irresistible Dry Flies
3 Gray Wulff Dry Flies
2 Gray Humpty Dry Flies
4 Adams Wet Flies
2 Royal Coachman Wets

97 Total Flies Each Pill Box
I did however throw in a few extras in each so its 100 flies.

I would like to give these away free of charge to 3 beginner fly fisherman, so all you old time regulars around these parts are excluded. Let the new guys having trouble filling up boxes get some free stuff. You don't need to be a kid either, just new to the sport.

The way this is going to work is as follows:
I have pre selected a number between 1-1000 for each box.
Closest without going over wins the box. NO DUPLICATE ANSWERS! Posts go in order. In the event of a duplicate answer, first person to guess a number will have their answer be valid.
Post your answers in this format:

1) 54
2) 102
3) 876

Post ends Sunday May 3rd at 5pm.
Winners announced Sunday night and PM's sent.
YOU CAN ONLY WIN ONE BOX
Send me your address and ill mail you the box.
Simple as that.

49831094738_03482da725_b.jpg

Good Luck!

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

I would like to give these away free of charge to 3 beginner fly fisherman, so all you old time regulars around these parts are excluded. Let the new guys having trouble filling up boxes get some free stuff. You don't need to be a kid either, just new to the sport.

How about if I just LOOK like a rookie out there on the stream? Does that count for anything? :-o

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

I have pre selected a number between 1-1000 for each box.
Closest without going over wins the box.

Okay, I'm in. My guess is 1001. I sure hope I win! ;-)

Seriously, classy move.

That's a ton of flies, and a huge selection that should set somebody up for just about any situation. Nicely done!

I’ll play! 2nd full season on the fly, so if that doesn’t count, rule me out. Also l, if a younger person is close, give mine to them. I’m a grad student.

1) 25
2) 333
3) 808

Also, in a time when we can have human contact again, I would love to fish with some of you Lancaster people, I have much to learn.

This is really awesome, Sal! Solid gold!

I've got a 4 year old in training (who has been doing some nice casting this season), but he's not quite ready for his own fly box yet (I'm still picking his flies and tying on for him. Wonder why I'm not catching many fish...). So, I'll leave this to others who will get more benefit, but I just wanted to say the sentiment is greatly appreciated!

Hey we got an entry! Good Luck!

Your fine. Im not going to be real strict with this. People get what i mean.
Id be down too fish sometime for sure. Im about to go 3, 12 hour shifts and 4 days off for 3 months so ill have time finally!
:)
If you have not fly fished our world class smallmouth river, you should.

I'm old. I'm brand new to FF. I have really enjoyed how FF people share. I have twice this year been given flies by total strangers only to catch fish on my first couple casts. Numerous times fF have helped me with my delivery. Others have helped me with the gear.
My son is also new to this and I you bless me with anything it'll be shared with him and his children.

Just got my brother in law into flyfishing- all my extra stuff has gone to him.

1) 64
2) 425
3) 720

Thanks!

Perfect! And hearing that is awesome .
I gave my brother a lot when he started too.
Good Luck!

3 people in now. Get your posts in before Sunday evening everyone!

This is very awesome Sal, I enjoyed reading your post and would love the chance! My uncle brought me to this site and between him, you all and youtube I am slowly learning and enjoying my time on the water more and more every cast. I am looking forward to the day my son and I follow in the footsteps of my father and I (he is 2 1/2).

Be well and gdlck out there to all of you!

1)15
2)500
3)999

Jsid0984 wrote:

3)999

"I have pre selected a number between 1-1000 for each box.

Closest without going over wins the box."

999 huh?

Gutsy move.

I like your style!

999 is way cooler than 1,000 !

Agreed! And good luck!
People that know me always know i have a trick so not a bad guess indeed.

Jsid0984 wrote:

999 is way cooler than 1,000 !

I guess, if you like to live life with a safety net. ;-)

Only a few more days and boxes will be sent priority mail.
You will have them before the next weekend!

Im in
1. 20
2. 200
3. 600

Thanks

I'm in, thank you for the opportunity.
1) 1
2) 2
3) 3

Game end.

Winning numbers:
1)7
2)77
3)777

Winners:
Box 1: Roqon
Box 2: everyone over ( closest was SMAlbert with 200)
Box3: Makee.

Pm's coming shortly.

Enjoy the flies guys!

Back