Patterns for Yellowstone

• Thread starter Red_headed_Stranger
  • Start date
Red_headed_Stranger

Red_headed_Stranger

I was wondering if anyone had any good patterns for Yellowstone in early July. A couple of my friends are going out there and I told them I would tie them up some flies, but just wanted to see if anyone had been there around this time. I lived in Idaho for a summer a couple years ago on a river and basically used parachute adams and elk hair caddis, but since then I've become a little better at tying at would like some other patterns. Here's my list thus far.

1. Parachute Adams
2. Elk Hair Caddis
3. Madam X Hopper
4. Stimulator
5. Wooly Buggers
6. Copper Johns

Any additional patterns that you think would be "Must haves" would be appreciated.

Good start. I was out in 2005. Here are a few other ideas:

Prince Nymph
Turck's Tarantula
PMD Sparkle Duns
Orange indicator beetles

What part of the park do you plan to fish? Where will yo be staying? West Yellowstone or Gardiner?

Hey! There's a book on that!

Here's a list put together by a Montana flyshop:
Dry Flies: Light Cahill, Adams, Royal Wulff, Irresistible, Quill Gordon, Humpy
Nymphs: Trueblood Otter Shrimp, Quill Gordon, Ed Burk, Yellow Stone Fly, Muskrat, Woolly Worm
Streamers: Black Nose Dace, Spruce Fly, Muddler Minnow, Gray Ghost, Black Marabou, White Marabou

Ad here is a site put up by guides with recommended flies:
http://www.yellowstone-flyfishing.com/flies-yellowstonepark.shtml

Good luck!

Don't forget hoppers. I had a lot of luck with parachute hoppers. The Hopper and dropper combination is big out there. Have them fish Slough Creek if they can do the hike in to the first meadow (about 2 miles). I took my family in there and we all had a good time. This elk was killed by wolves along the shore of Slough.

Hey Albatross, that looks familiar! This is on the first meadow of Slough in September '04............
image_57.jpg

And here's a nice cutt from the first meadow..........
DSCN0850.jpg

And one from the second meadow...........
DSCN1019.jpg

I hope no one's tired of me telling this story, but watch out for grizzlies on Slough. We came face-to-face with one, and it's a bit tense when you're alone in the wilderness with them, without a crowd of other potential tourist food with you.

Red_headed_Stranger Willie, Albatross is right about the hoppers, but we also had some luck with ants. This was in September, and I think the cutts were getting leery of hoppers by then, but tie some ants up for your friends to try, they might work in July too. Maybe some flying ants too.

To anyone planning a trip to Yellowstone, I would strongly reccomend "The Yellowstone Fishing Guide" by Mathews and Molinero. The information allowed me to exact some excellent fishing during an all too short family vacation. I was skeptical about the size info at first, on one stretch of the Yellow they said 16-17". After an hour plus drive fom West Yellowstone, and a couple of stops, there were trout rising everywhere. I fished a CDC caddis and hooked eight Cutts in the midday event. Landed four and taped them all to be sure; 16, 17, 18, and 19'', and portly too! Still, one of my favorite flyfishing memories. Anyway, I always find a decent guide book to be a wise investment when going on a fishing vacation, especially far from home.

Wulff-Man,

Looks like the same rack! My picture is from the first meadow in July 2005. The water was so clear that I panicked and went to 7X tippet. We broke a few off and only landed 2 or 3 that day. I sure hope I can get back there again...

A young man passed my family on the hike in to Slough. He said he was going for the third meadow. He passed us on the way out and I said to him, "you couldn't have been to the third meadow and back already". He said, "I was treed by a grizzly between the second and third meadows and decided to call it a day". Carry bear spray if you go there...

Back