patterns for grannoms

Also, here is a link to troutnut showing the apple green grannom:
The link you posted is to photos of a different, much smaller caddis.

Here is a link to Troutnut's photos of apple green grannoms.

IMHO, many people are tying their grannoms larger than the natural bugs. They look big when they are flying, because their wings extend way back past their bodies.

I think the best hook size for apple green grannoms is size 14.

For charcoal (black) grannoms, I think the best hook size is size 16. Although I've caught plenty of trout using a size 14 imitation, I think size 16 is closer to the actual size. And on highly pressured water I've seen trout refuse the size 14 and take the size 16 readily. I'd use size 15 hooks, if I had any!

Last edited:
A dark chocolate body with sparse partridge hackle or wrapped CDC and a copper, sliver or black bead. Then the same body with thick CDC wing for a dry. Maybe a creme or dun antron shuck. Sz. 16. Treat it with Watershed and take Frog Fanny or other similar dryant/flotant. Pull the dry underwater below you, then drop the rod tip , releasing tension and allowing it to pop to the surface. It's tough to do, but for weird risers, it might be the ticket.
There's just not much nuance to these flies, which is NICE because you can focus on the fishing.
You can leave the green butt off. It doesn't show untill the females develop their eggs well after they fish, at least in the grannoms I've every caught and studied after hatching.
But doesn't the emerging pupa still sport the bright green body? Every entomology photo I have seen shows this. And the emerger seems to be more effective than dries, imo. That's why I would want to err on the side of the green butt. Could represent the pupa, as well as the egg sack of the adult females. Either way the bright green should be a trigger, right?

Attachments

• Polish_20240131_104338450.jpg
    Polish_20240131_104338450.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Polish_20240131_104208695.jpg
    Polish_20240131_104208695.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 21
Here's two emerger patterns I really like (not my own ties, online reference photos). One more elaborate emerger in elk hair, one very simple CDC emerger.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708050915579.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708050915579.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240223-121935.png
    Screenshot_20240223-121935.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 14
Here's a deer hair dry pattern I have had some success with. Yes. I'm horrible with deer hair, but I've caught a fair number of trout on this one, even with my horribly sub par tying skills. PS I have nearly unlimited access to deer hair. I've found that the coarser belly "edge" hair seems to float pretty well 😁. I believe it's hollow and designed by nature for insulation. It's a bit lighter in color but works well enough. Apply a little floatant if needed. Kept the thorax sparse on the dubbing and no hackle. Caddis bodies seem petite to me. Some of the hackled and the foam "never sink" varieties just seem enormously bulky, imo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230404_202936812.jpg
    IMG_20230404_202936812.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 25
But doesn't the emerging pupa still sport the bright green body? Every entomology photo I have seen shows this. And the emerger seems to be more effective than dries, imo. That's why I would want to err on the side of the green butt. Could represent the pupa, as well as the egg sack of the adult females. Either way the bright green should be a trigger, right?
I see what you are showing, but I've never seen on bugs I caught in my net. Just saying, if you want to leave it off and stick to that charcoal-dark chocolate color body, or use something peacock-ish, it works great. When it works, that is. Grannoms are one of those hatches where EVERYTHING can look perfect but the fish don't cooperate. Weird.

Im a simple man. Not sure why the hook gap is so bent out on this.

IMG 20221003 205157347

Shad Fly and Little Black Caddis, size 14 - 18. (Brachycentrus numerosus/solomoni). Bottom R/L - LaFontaine Deep Sparkle Pupae and LaFontaine Emerging Sparkle Pupae: Dk. Brown, Charcoal Black; Middle, Row Adult Solomon Caddis with Biot Quill and CD Underwing: Dk. Brown, Charcoal Black; LaFontaine Adult Diving Caddis Wet Fly Dk. Brown, Charcoal Black. Top row R/L - CDC Charcoal Adult Caddis - Size 20/22, Brachycentrus Larvae Size 18. Dk. Brown custom blend of original Spakle Yarn Antron of Brown ply and Medium Gray.

You bent it when flattening the barb. I do the same from time to time.
More than likely. It may have been fished too, sometimes I'll pull a pattern out of the box to take a picture so who knows.

Back