Patagonia swiftcurrent wading pants

J

Joe_P

Curious if anyone has these wading pants and how the quality compares to Simms. They are about 100 cheaper than simms high end pants but i beleieve these have a better warranty which is important to me more in waders than anything else.

I few years back, I bought their Gunnison Gorge wading pants.

They're very light. And make for comfortable wading, even in hot weather.
But they sprung a few seam leaks by the end of the 2nd season.

Thought about filing a warranty claim.
But I was able to find and repair the leaks rather easily myself.
And have got 3 full seasons of use on them now.
Since I only paid $180 for them on sale, I'm happy with that.

However, all my other waders are Simms goretex.
And I wouldn't put these Patagonias on the same quality level as those

I've got Patagonia Swiftcurrent Expeditions and Simms G3s. Both are very nice, but the G3s fit me a little better which is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. Aside form fit, the biggest difference is the weight of the materials I think. The SCs are way heavier and maybe less breathable than my G3s. But the SCs also seem to be more thorn resistant - my G3s are a little old but I am constantly putting holes in them. So I use the SCs in winter and the G3s in the summer and fall. Also, the SCs aren't the zippered model so getting them on and off without buckles on the suspenders (why Patagonia, why) isn't as easy as the G3s.

Regarding warranties, both companies have been good to me, but Patagonia probably wins by a nose in my experience. They really don't ask any questions and don't charge you a cent. They even sent me a shipping label for a repair.

Ultimately when I need another pair I'll probably go Simms because of the fit and the fact that my local shop carries them.

Edit: I just looked at the OP again and realized this was about pants not waders. Oh well.

I've got Patagonia Swiftcurrent Expeditions and Simms G3s. Both are very nice, but the G3s fit me a little better which is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. Aside form fit, the biggest difference is the weight of the materials I think. The SCs are way heavier and maybe less breathable than my G3s. But the SCs also seem to be more thorn resistant - my G3s are a little old but I am constantly putting holes in them. So I use the SCs in winter and the G3s in the summer and fall. Also, the SCs aren't the zippered model so getting them on and off without buckles on the suspenders (why Patagonia, why) isn't as easy as the G3s.

Regarding warranties, both companies have been good to me, but Patagonia probably wins by a nose in my experience. They really don't ask any questions and don't charge you a cent. They even sent me a shipping label for a repair.

Ultimately when I need another pair I'll probably go Simms because of the fit and the fact that my local shop carries them.

Edit: I just looked at the OP again and realized this was about pants not waders. Oh well.
No biggie, most of the answers pertain to both. Thanks.

I have Simms. They fit me better and hold up well for me. Pat waders were problematic for many regarding leaks. They fixed or replaced a friend's waders several times so they were good about that. It is a nuisance returning them. One shop at one point stopped carrying them. Again Pat backed the warranty. I hear from the shops that the newer waders are much better. Both companies waders are not cheap. Any wader can be a problem in my opinion. I just bought G4 waders on closeout because prices are just crazy. Cost me 500. Hope they hold up like my G3 waders. I plan on rotating them each time out. It pays to take care of them. Turn them inside out to dry and hang them in a cool place out of the sun. Prices these days suck.

I can't speak to the Simms, but I have the Pat wading pants and I like them a lot. I did buy a pair of suspenders from dryft to use with them.

About 3 years ago I bought Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders (their top wader at the time) for 235.00. The shop wanted to get rid of them due to complaints of leaking. Figured why not as I had my G3s and could use them as a backup. I wore them once .... no leaks. About 3 weeks ago I sold them to a friend for 200.00. He used them 4 times .... no leaks so happy fisherman. They fit Ok but I like the Simms fit better, I used the 200.00 for my recent purchase of Simms G4 waders that I got on closeout for 500.00 . I have my fingers crossed. Any waders from any company could have a dud. The new Simms G3 are 650 to 700.00 depending on the shop. I cant even guess the price of the G4. Add a zipper then it is probably pushing a grand. Nuts!

Back