Patagonia Rio Gallegos vs Simms G3

Opie610

Opie610

Ready for some new waders and cant make up my mind. Any info pros or cons would be helpful. Ivebeen reading goodthings about the Rio Gallegos 2.0 lately but because they are redesigned I wonder about durability.

Again.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

Ive had both and prefer the Simms G3s. I've had not issue with either but the G3s just fit me better. I would go with what fits you better.

Simms G3 all the way. I normally get 7-8 years on my Simms with yearly maintenance (patching self inflicted pin holes). I also wear a fleece or a light wading pant instead of jeans. Jeans really wear out a wader quickly compared to a soft material wading pant.

Ron

I think the Rio Gallegos are easily the better of the two, and I owned Simms for years before I tried the Patagonia. They are built at least as well, and I think they are better designed. What's more is that Patagonia still stands by their products the way that Simms used to. Simms is no longer rock-solid with their customer service, so I've stopped buying their more expensive gear.

troutpoop wrote:
Ive had both and prefer the Simms G3s. I've had not issue with either but the G3s just fit me better. I would go with what fits you better.

Fit was an issue for me as well in the Rio Gallegos. Supposedly they improved the fit with the new version, but they were still pretty bulky up top. If you're on the slimmer side like me, Simms might be a better fit.

Thanks to all that replied. I went with the Patagonia wadersfor several reasons. I like the drop down suspenders. The sizes seem to fit my body type better. and the booties run a bit larger. Again thanks for all your input.

I feature I love in the Rio Gallegos is one I am reminded of every time I kneel down stream side in anything else; the padded knees. Guess I am getting older and maybe it is a bit of a gimmick but that cushion is nice.

The one thing I do not like on my Patagonia's, and they haven't changed it yet to the best of my knowledge, is that the suspenders cannot be unclipped. Can't tell you how many times they are tangled or cross threaded when I am trying to get into them. Enough of a pain that its a deal breaker for me.

I am looking at the Simms Headwaters Pro.

Will say, however, that Simms products have been sliding a bit of late.

I like that the Simms are made in 'Murica. I also like how easy it is to find pin holes with isopropyl alcohol. If there was a similar method possible with the other waders, I'd consider them.

Syl

I too have owned the Simms and Patagonia's I like the fit of the pats and the gravel guards as well. Simms neoprene gravel guards shredded rather quickly. Pats are lighter as well.

I think Patagonia makes the best waders on the market today. I really believe thay have passed simms

G3's

Having owned Simms and Rio I would never buy either again. The fact is ALL waders leak so you want the BEST warranty/return policy/fast response.

LL BEAN is the best.

With Simms and Patagonia the return and warranty is somewhat misleading and their service is SLOW.You will wait many weeks to have waders looked at and then (maybe) repaired. With LL Bean you return and get a new pair. PERIOD. You can even arrange to have new ones sent before returning old ones. Awesome company.

I know many of the guys on here are "fashion plates" but for those of you who genuinely fish I suggest LL Bean.

I disagree. Patagonia has great customer service. I returned a pair of waders that started to leak in the bootie and they were very quick with the return process. I have been very satisfied with my Rio Gallegos waders even though the 1st pair leaked. I thought they would just repair them, but they sent out a new pair. So far, these have been fine.

I disagree as well.

Simms customer service treated me better than I expected a company to in this day and age. I didn't go a day without waders, and didn't miss a day of fishing, thanks to Simms' customer service.

foxtrapper1972

LL BEAN is the best.

Based on this I just ordered a pair of boot foot waders from LL Bean. I got tired of exchanging Orvis boot foots. I think I had 4 pairs in three years. They always sent a new pair, but it was just a hassle.

Actually, I was planning to go with Bean but you made me pull the trigger. If I am not happy, I won't blame you.

Ken

Back