Patagonia Nano Puff pants

R

RufusFirefly

Has anyone tried wearing a pair of Patagonia Nano Puff pants under waders? I am thinking of getting something to wear in between my base layer to keep my legs warm. I usually just avoid the really cold days. If you have a favorite layering system for really cold wading, please mention your setup.

I have a nano puff vest and a nano puff pull over. I looked at the pants but I'm afraid they may be too warm. The primaloft stuff works very well. I worry these things may be just too hot.
I'm interested if anyone else has tried them. I've been sewing my fleece pants for a few years and I will be making a purchase in the next month or so.

Simms makes a nice fleecey lined pant that I picked up at Somerset for cold weather. Not as heavily insulated as the puffy pants, but figuring they'll be plenty warm with a base layer.

The Simms are plenty warm. You need air to make the Patagonia really shine.

I wear those fleece pants over mid weight capaline longies. It just does the job belly button deep in the west branch at Hendrickson time. I'm thinking of those nano puff pants or the expedition weight capaline bottoms. I take a pill for the heart that makes me feel the cold but it's hard to concentrate on fishing when your cold. Your wise to pursue this.

I just wear a pair of fleece pants over my capilene bottoms if its really cold. I should've pulled the trigger on the dwr fleece lined pant they used to make.

As an aside, the new "midweight" capilene that replaced the 2 and 3 is very nice.

The Reddington fleece waders pants are great. I'm horrible with the cold but I don't have to worry about my legs at all.

I'm low rent......fleece PJ bottoms from TJ Max for $10.

For real cold days, I go with long underwear baselayer 4.0 from under armour. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. I then have a few different fleece wading pants, I like the llbean one the most. I have definitely worn two layers of fleece pants when it's really cold.

I love my nano puff vest and hoodie. I bet the pants would be totally awesome. My biggest fear would be overheating on a long walk.

Layering for keeping warm is easy. Base layer then fleece for me. Thermal weight fleeces. It's the same layering I use for hunting under hunting suits, and it works well.

The part I struggle with is summertime. I'm a wader wearer, I don't wet wade. And I hate the feeling of shorts and bare skin against waders. But most pants systems are too warm, or else they are "base layers" that you don't really wear in public. I've done ok with those zip-off pants things, but none of them really fit me well (most are 32 length legs when I need a 30 or less).

Pcray, have you ever tried wearing a silkweight baselayer? That's what I do in the summer, and it feels great. Wearing them with shorts probably isn't much of a fashion statement, but its very comfortable.

Keeping the legs warm is the easy part. It is the toes that are important for me to keep warm. Good pair of wool socks over nylon socks.

I got a good deal on a pair of the Simms fleece lined pants couple years ago. They have the soft shell type of exterior and a fleece lining. Unfortunately they've spent more time hanging in the closet than on my legs inside a pair of waders. The few times I've worn them, I've been very happy with them. Good warmth and an actual pair of pants rather than something that looks like your favorite jammies.

I'm a sucker, don't get me wrong, but I would never buy base layers from a fly company.

However, I do believe in wool, which isn't cheap.

I wear the OR neoplume pants which are basically the same as the nanopuff pants. Since I wear breathable waders, I really like the extra insulation on my legs. When steelheading in the bitter cold, I wear wool baselayers, fleece pants, and neoplume pants. I usually prefer to go extra heavy on the insulation in my legs and then dress my torso accordingly.

Back