Patagonia aluminum bar rock grip wading boots

P

pwk5017

There has been some talk about these boots and the crampons, but I dont recall anyone actually owning them and writing a review. I should note that these boots are an upgrade from a pair of korkers that retailed for like $100+/- 2 years ago with metal studs. Today was my first day out with the aluminum bars and I was thoroughly impressed. First off, gearing up is 10 times better with these than with my old korkers. The tongue has a nice fold of fabric that allows it to fully extend out and allow your neoprene foot to gently slide into the boot. No tugging and yanking required. Next, the support is awesome. Really comfortable sole and tremendous ankle support. Constantly having cobbles shift underfoot cant be good on your ankles, so these boots most certainly mitigate that. Finally, the traction. I have to say, I wasnt blown away by the traction of the aluminum bars when I first stepped in the stream. I would say the traction was equal to my metal studded korkers. However, there was a noticeable increase in grip and stability as the day progressed. I am almost positive these boots perform better with slight wear. The aluminum bars get beat up a bit and become much more effective. By the end of my 8 hour fishing day, my feet and ankles felt great and I had not slipped once. Also, the boots looked brand new. I was kicking rocks and wedging them inbetween boulders all day and they werent even scuffed. Did I mention the leather/rubber boot material provides no opportunity for your flies to bite into? I used to hook the mesh of my korkers every once in awhile and it was such a pain to dig a fly out of mesh. I am interested to see how the aluminum bars wear over time, but they seem to be an easy replacement if the need arises. Overall, a great pair of boots for the weekend warrior who appreciates quality and craftsmanship and a must have for guys that live on the water.

Forgot to add they are a perfect match with the rio gallegos waders.

Excellent review! I was looking at those crampons... but the price seemed awfully steep. I'm guessing you believe they are worth the price based on your review... at least at this time.

Which Korkers did you have? I've also been looking at the Castraxs.

Hmm, I do not know which type of korkers I had. Like I said, they were $100 and had metal studs.

The price is freakin steep on the aluminum boots and crampons. My thought behind it is, if you are going to spend 199 on the crampons why not shell out another 40 and have an excellent boot? I would have to compare these to some of the high end simms boots, but they are nice boots to be in all day.

No offense to the korkers, but for $100 you shouldnt be getting a base product. I would hope at that price point that a consumer would get a good product. My experience was fair.

Back