Parachutes

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

Awhile back I had a really good day on spring creek with dries, so much so lately I've been seriously looking at fishing dries more. I've been tying some parachutes and
I've read the tails should be at least one to two hook eye lengths longer than the body for supporting the bend. Before I get a bunch tied I'd like to know what you all have found that works best for you. The hackle I've got one size larger than the norm for the size. What has me wondering is I'm looking at it and it just looks soo long. Thanks.

For parachutes, I usually make all of my tails the same length as the hook shank

dryflyguy wrote:
For parachutes, I usually make all of my tails the same length as the hook shank

+1 on the tail length.

For parachutes, I also use hackle 1 size bigger than I would use for a traditional hackled, aka catskill tie.

I agree on the proportions. Tail = shank length, Hackle = one hook size larger.
I'm not sure the tail on a parachute fly does much to support the hook. I think of them as emerger-like patterns that are going to ride low in the film anyway.

Now that makes sense, low in the film. The reasoning he gave for the longer tails was to support the weight of the bend. But I can understand what you are saying Ft. I've tied some 18,20, and 22 parachutes with the tail three eye lengths longer than the body the 22's were quite a challenge for me think they will be alright or a waist of time to fish? I guess some fish are pickier than others depending on where you fish. It's not like I've never tied dries but I'm being more anal than I was before with them. Thanks for the input.

I prefer my tails just a bit longer than the shank length. When I have examined real bugs I find the tail quite long. I don't tie them really long though because they don't seem to cast properly, but that could be me.
To answer your question, I don't think a few mm longer than the length of the hook shank should be a big deal.

I make my tails to the length of the natural.
I also think that 2 micro fibets on each side is not enough. I think 3 to 4 is better for fly stabilation.

Back