Parachute dry flies

Not that it matters much but I just started using turkey flats for the posts and find the feathers much easier to work with then calf tail. I always tie the hackle off on the post and the dull side of the feather down. To hold the hackle out of your way you can also use a piece of a coffee straw slit length wise to slide over the hook. As for my whip finishing tool I use a Dr. Slick.

littlelehigh............that's exactly how i do it when i do it , except like sandfly i use a small thompson whip finisher , and never tried the turkey flats but i will. Does any one on here know where i might pick up one of those small thompson whip finishers?

jkilroy wrote: Like I said the only problem I have is the whip finish. I can tie size 18 no problem, and they look good. Not sure which way I wrap, I don't think it matters. And I tie the but section of the feather in and half hitch before doing the hackle. I refuse to not learn how to correct this problem. Is there a tool out there that only requires one hand for the whip finish?

Does the hackle guard go around the hook shank or the para. post?

Which way you wrap the hackle doesn't really matter, but it drastically helps to wrap it counter-clockwise because the thread will brush a lot of the hackle fibers out of the way.

For one-handed whip finish, it's just a skill that you have to master. normally there's not as much tension on the thread, but it can be secured when finished. I often hold the thread, hackle fibers back, and the post back with my left hand, while my right completes a whip finish.

For hackle guards, they can be bought for around $10 for a set of three. They simply slide over the shank of the hook behind the eye and allow you to finish the fly's head and whip finish without the hackle getting in the way. They are designed for catskills style flies, but would work for parachutes.

For what it's worth this is how I tie parachutes.
Start the thread and wind to where the post will go in.
Post: I use para post and lay about 1" on the top of the hook shank (like a spinner). Then I tie it in with "x" wraps and fold it up to make the parachute. I wrap around the base of the chute to stick it together and give a base for the hackle.
Hackle: I then tie inteh hackle, first on the shank and then attach it to the post. Tip - trim more fibers off of the hackle stem than you think -- just makes it easier and look nicer. 9I hate wasting hackle though).
Tails: Wrap back and apply a small amount of dubbing to split the tails. Tie the the tails in and split.
dubbing: Dub the entire fly up to the head.
Hackle: counter-clockwise secure, form head, and whip finish.

a few years ago i clipped an article from the Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide...the author talked about this problem, he suggested tying the hackle in with the stem pointing upward on the post, then wind your thread up enough for four or five turns of hackle, then wrap the hackle around the post advancing UP the wing post, according to him now you don`t have the hackle laying over the eye of the hook and getting caught as you tie it off

I have them in stock osprey...won't be home till after the weekend, goin to the catskills for x-mas

Came across this very clean adams parachute on youtube. He ties the hackle up the post with a few thread wraps, winds the hackle down and ties the hackle off at the bottom of the post. Not sure how it would work on a parachute with a bushier body or multiple hackles though...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ragincraven#p/a/u/2/N_XZlX0mau0

I'll be in touch sandfly MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Checked out your web site yesterday , Nice.......i couldn't find anything about tools , but the site is cool.

Back