Para Adams

• Thread starter FishingCreekEmerger
  • Start date
FishingCreekEmerger

FishingCreekEmerger

Hey guys I posted this on FB too so sorry if you already saw it. I know the Adams is one of the most popular dry patterns that works really well. I try not to use attraction patterns for dry fishing. I refuse to use the traditional Adams! I did however attempt to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I fell in love with klinkhammers a few years ago. I have since matched all my hatches with a klink version with amazing results. So I started to play around with my own Adams variant. What do you think? Please be honest! I will admit to one flaw here. I was so worried about doing the para wing nicely that I forgot to dub the fly before lying the wing. So the dubbing job does look funny because of a missed step.

Attachments

• IMG_20130131_013050.jpg
    IMG_20130131_013050.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 25
Looks great. I'm new to tying, so I can't really comment on quality and things of that nature, but that will certainly catch some fish.

Im a sucker got any biot bodied emerger so I am an immediate fan. Ive been tying up a bunch of simple emergers lately simply with pheasant tail bodies, a thorax to match the hatch, snowshoe hair and a trailing shuck. Flies look great, just pinch the barb. I usually wait till i use the fly on the water to do this as well when I tie in quantities.

Biots are so much easier then quills. I plan on attending the Lancaster show. I will check every package of polish quills just to make sure I get the longest and thickest that I can find. :)

They look good. Polish quills, huh? Will have to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

Well Brad as I stated I don't like using attracter patters for dries. That one seems to be the most used. Plus I also like to stick to original recipes. That being said, I personally won't waste hackle tips or cree hackle on that fly. Cree was the original grizzley back in the day. I guess to sum it up, I'm a weirdo! :)

Yeah Becker, polish quills are a tad expensive but for peacock that is already dyed and stripped I feel they're worth it.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
Well Brad as I stated I don't like using attracter patters for dries. That one seems to be the most used. Plus I also like to stick to original recipes. That being said, I personally won't waste hackle tips or cree hackle on that fly. Cree was the original grizzley back in the day. I guess to sum it up, I'm a weirdo! :)

Actually the original was tied to imitate a caddis with a downwing using brown & grizzly hackle.

I thought the grizz brown combo due to the shortage of cree. I may have to reach out here and start an argument between the old Catskill fanatics.

Those are nice flies but I don't know why you are calling them a para adams. Other than some grey dubbing in the Thorax area there is no ingredient that would go into a Catskill adams or a parachute adams.

Adams - grizzly hackle tip wings or a post of some sort for the parachute. Mixed brown and grizzly hackle barbs for the tail, grey dubbed body, brown and grizzly hackle. I've "wasted" plenty of cree hackle on adams. A good substitute for brown and grizzly especially if you are tying a smaller size and only need one hackle.

I don't use a Catskill adams very often - hard for me to see. I do like a parachute version though.

I cant find the article. I read that brown and grizz was substituted for cree often. The use of 2 feathers was better for faster water and both colors were earise to obtain. I am not sure what year Lan Halliday created the fly but I am sure it was originally tied with cree. I will send Dave Brandt a message as well as Winnie Dettes grandson to see if we can get a sure answer.

Mc I said Adams for a few reasons. As stated I was trying a variation. Grey body and mixed brown and grizzly hackle are 2 key Adams features and both included in my flies. Also klinkhammers very rarely have a tail. I chose not to tie in a shuck. Maybe I can just call it a grey para :). To get real Catskill, I can do a Flick version. 3 times oversized hackle on a sparse but body.

Cool good find! I never knew about the tail either! So with almost every other fly we tie or imitate most Adams are variations of sort. I thought for sure the cree was on the Adams. I may be thinking of an Atherton fly. Anyway thanks for posting that.

We owe whoever changed it a beer. That tail is UGLY looking

I was watching George Harvey tie flies once. He used a cree hackle on all his Adams at that point in time.

I've never considered an Adams to be an attractor, just a general imitation. A Patriot Double Wing, now thats an attractor.

Nice flies though. I'm not a huge fan of parachutes but I do like Klinks

Back