Panfish

masteroffish

masteroffish

I just started flyfishing again,but I am mostly going after panfish and such on small streams. I am using an old Martin 8' rod my choices of flys are mosquito nymph,dry,and poppers.
Any suggestions on a decent flyrod to use to enjoy it more? Remember am new,and rusty so all info is greatly appreciated

Master,
I'd say your old Martin would be fine for panfish. I target stream panfish, mainly rock bass and redbreast sunfish, a lot in the summer, usually using trout tackle - that would be a fly rod in the 7-9' range for a 4-6 weight line. If you're thinking about upgrading and purchasing a new fly rod, I'd consider a rod of 8 or 9 feet for a 5WT line. This will suit you well if you anticipate moving on to trout fishing but will also function well for sunfish and even some bass fishing.

thanks

Master,

I agree that a 8-9' 5wt is a good length and weight to start FFing for panfish or trout. The best advice anyone can give you is to go to a local fly shop or store and test cast a bunch of rods. The one that works best for you...is the best for you. If you mention the area in which you live, perhaps someone can recommend some fly shops or stores in your area. As you become more proficient casting, you will have a much better idea as to which rods work best for your fishing and casting.

Good luck. BTW, after you get the FFing thing down, maybe you can challenge Frank to a "Fish-off" with the long rod......;-)

Glad to have you on board.

he would just find another excuse to not come

Tenkara style...any opinions on that style for panfish...trout?

Back