PAFBC launch ramp permit

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

I was talking to some guys I work with that have boats about the launch ramp permit you need for PAFB launch ramps. Do you need one for an inflatible pontoon or no? I won't have a motor on it, but they're not sure if motorless craft need one. I"m guessing you still do.

UNPOWERED BOATS

Unpowered boats are boats without motors such as certain kayaks, canoes, rowboats, sailboats, rafts or inflatable boats. Unpowered boats are not required to be registered – unless used at a Fish & Boat Commission access area or lake, or at Pennsylvania state parks and state forests; or required by the owner (one example is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers).
....view list of Commission access areas
....view DCNR's listing of PA state parks
....go to our Registration page to find out how to register or title a boat.

Another option for unpowered boats (only) is a Use (Boat Launch) Permit from the Fish & Boat Commission, or a Launch or Mooring Permit from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of State Parks....view issuing agents for Use Permits.

Permits can also be purchased online using a credit card at The Outdoor Shop....go to The Outdoor Shop (choose Products, then Boat Permits)

Dear Brandon,

If you launch or take out at a PA Fish Commission owned ramp you need to either have your boat registered or have a launch permit.

It makes no difference if it is inflatable. If you use the ramp you need the registration/permit. If you put an electric trolling motor on your pontoon you will need to register the boat.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Bottom line is it's what $20 for 2-3 years? Something dirt cheap like that. I got one for my toon just to not have to worry about it.

you can get them at almost every state park, like jdaddy said, cheap! I think they are actually 18 bucks for 2 years.

You can get them online as well and they show up in a couple days.

Yea, I thought I would need one, but there was discussion wheither I do or not. Thanks, much appreciated.

One last question here, I would need both a permit and it registered to fish at say Lake Nockimixon right? I see it says you need a registration fro state parks and the like. Just looking for clarification.

BrandonMH wrote:
One last question here, I would need both a permit and it registered to fish at say Lake Nockimixon right? I see it says you need a registration fro state parks and the like. Just looking for clarification.

No a registered boat is enough. You only need a launch permit if the boat is not registered. HTH.

boat with motor= registered
canoe, kayak, pontoon,etc without motor=launch permit

bikerfish wrote:
boat with motor= registered
canoe, kayak, pontoon,etc without motor=launch permit

That seems logical but I have gotten different answers from different people. French Creek State Park says I am good with launch permit on my pontoon with a trolling motor. I don't know. It's clear as mud.

I think elec. motors are ok without registration. I used one on my canoe at a state park. They told me it was cool as long as I had the launch permit.

sorry, should have clarified that, your right, trolling motors are ok with a launch permit.

Dear Board,

Read this and see if it doesn't become clear that if you have any motor you must register your boat.

Launch permits are for non-powered boats ONLY.

Taken from the FAQ page on the Fish and Boat Commission website.

1. Do I need to register or title my boat?
REGISTRATION
Boats that must be registered:

Any boat powered by a gasoline, diesel or electric motor.
Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard for recreational purposes. Documented vessels are large pleasure boats, such as yachts.
Boats such as sailboats that use gasoline, diesel or electric motors for auxiliary power.
Boat -- the Commission defines a boat as: Every description of watercraft constructed or sold for the primary purpose of being used as a means of transportation on the water. The term does not include:

1.Surfboards and other similar nonpowered contrivances used primarily as swimming aids.
2.Commercial craft subject to Federal manning and inspection requirements.
....go to our Registration/Titling page to find out how to register or title a boat.

UNPOWERED BOATS

Unpowered boats are boats without motors such as certain kayaks, canoes, rowboats, sailboats, rafts or inflatable boats. Unpowered boats are not required to be registered – unless used at a Fish & Boat Commission access area or lake, or at Pennsylvania state parks and state forests; or required by the owner (one example is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers).
....view list of Commission access areas
....view DCNR's listing of PA state parks
....go to our Registration page to find out how to register or title a boat.

Another option for unpowered boats (only) is a Use (Boat Launch) Permit from the Fish & Boat Commission, or a Launch or Mooring Permit from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of State Parks....view issuing agents for Use Permits.

Permits can also be purchased online using a credit card at The Outdoor Shop....go to The Outdoor Shop (choose Products, then Boat Permits)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

guess it's up to the officer that might check you. I've had friends use trolling motors with no trouble.
oh well, I paddle anyways, no motor for me!

Back