Pack and net

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Both of my boys are all in on fly fishing. Currently they throw on the waders and boots and rely on dad for all the rigging, but it's time to get the older one(14) completely outfitted. I have a ton of gear but do need to purchase a few items.

First is a rubber net. Many many years ago I fished with a mesh net but got very frustrated with the flies getting stuck. I purchased a rubber net but the depth was only 8-9 inches deep. A number of decent fish flopped out including a couple beasts. I then purchased a frabill with a 13 inch deep net(22 inches long with 8 inch handle) and have been set ever since. I've been online and cannot find anything like this, frabill now makes them 8 inches deep. The one deep one(white river) has fish that are 8-10 inches long slide right through. Anyone have any ideas? I spend a fortune on fly fishing but just never on nets. If an expensive one is the only option I could give him my old one but not my first choice.

Second problem is chest pack. He doesn't like any of the vests but i think he wants to be like dad(at least thats what I'm telling myself). I currently use the Umpqua but have one from orvis too. They all hang so low on him even though he's 5'8". I guess I could get one and take it to have it altered. Anyone have any advice?

At the end of the day I don't mind spending money, he loves it and has spent alot of time practicing his knots at the kitchen table. I just want to be as smart as possible...thanks God I've got a good number of rods!

Me and the boys on Saturday

Attachments

• Resized_20230128_152656.jpeg
    Resized_20230128_152656.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 76
I hope my boys show as much interest as yours! My oldest just turned 9. He loves fishing but does not yet have the patience for fly fishing. He starts casting and inevitably creates a giant bird’s nest of the line and leader.

How are the kids Orvis waders?

Coming from a broke college student, I have a couple suggestions that are all easy on the pockets. For nets, here is what I use as well as my friends use. High quality but fairly priced, I believe it's about 10'' deep or so, and 20'' long. For chest packs, I personally have always been into more minimalist packs. I highly recommend either of the two Yakoda Supply packs, both are convertible to be worn as sling, hip, or chest packs. I recently upgraded from the smaller Yakoda pack into a patagonia stealth station. I like these types of packs because they do not limit my ability to get my hands in and out of my chest pocket on my waders. The patagonia pack can comfortably hold my floatant, 4 fly boxes, indicators, leaders, license, tippet, and tools. Hope some of this was helpful.

I've been using Frabill nets for several yeaars now and I like them a lot. And they're cheap. Rubber-coated mesh - no problem with hooks, and easier on the fish. I've never had a fish come out, it's plenty deep.
Frabill Net. I think I got mine at Wally-world.

I hope my boys show as much interest as yours! My oldest just turned 9. He loves fishing but does not yet have the patience for fly fishing. He starts casting and inevitably creates a giant bird’s nest of the line and leader.

How are the kids Orvis waders?
They are both wearing adult mediums lol. The convertibles that my oldest is wearing have held up pretty well for around two years(about 20 days). The younger one is wearing the orvis encounters and they have a seam leak that we discovered Saturday(around 10 trips). I knew they would leak pretty quick like all inexpensive waders do but this was a little fast.

I've been using Frabill nets for several yeaars now and I like them a lot. And they're cheap. Rubber-coated mesh - no problem with hooks, and easier on the fish. I've never had a fish come out, it's plenty deep.
Frabill Net. I think I got mine at Wally-world.
That's not the mesh that gets hooks stuck in them?

Coming from a broke college student, I have a couple suggestions that are all easy on the pockets. For nets, here is what I use as well as my friends use. High quality but fairly priced, I believe it's about 10'' deep or so, and 20'' long. For chest packs, I personally have always been into more minimalist packs. I highly recommend either of the two Yakoda Supply packs, both are convertible to be worn as sling, hip, or chest packs. I recently upgraded from the smaller Yakoda pack into a patagonia stealth station. I like these types of packs because they do not limit my ability to get my hands in and out of my chest pocket on my waders. The patagonia pack can comfortably hold my floatant, 4 fly boxes, indicators, leaders, license, tippet, and tools. Hope some of this was helpful.
I had a buddy get two of these and the net ripped from the frame in a day. You've had no issues?

I had a buddy get two of these and the net ripped from the frame in a day. You've had no issues?
Nope, I personally know 4 of these nets that have landed hundreds of fish. I suppose it can happen to any of them but we have been lucky.

Nope, I personally know 4 of these nets that have landed hundreds of fish. I suppose it can happen to any of them but we have been lucky.
Sweet, thanks

So I went back to the link to make sure. The net in that link is actually referred to as a livewell net. It look just like the net I have but I notice that the linked one has no lanyard, so it's not exactly the same as mine. I have had two Frabill nets and the first one lasted about 5-6 years before the rubber coating started to wear off. It was still functional, it just didn't look great. A buddy found another one along the river and didn't want it, so I inherited it. (It was almost new.) Anyway, they both have worked well for me. The one in the link looks like the same rubber-coated mesh, but I'm not totally certain that it is.

Hey Ryan. I got one of these Wetfly nets early last fall off Sierra. I think I paid less than $60.00 at the time. It’s a nice net and won’t break the bank like a Fishpond (which I think look really cool but are just too expensive). Looks like the same net as the Aventik a a avail on Amazon.
93756F46 5979 40A4 83BF ABF900C03136

Try WalMart for nets. I bought a rubber mesh net there 2 years ago, with aluminum frame and magnetic tether at the end of the handle for about $15 or so. Short handle, like most nets but perfect for wading. They had several types of nets including a few with the rubber mesh I prefer. I've had no problems with it, and it will hold a good sized trout. A fine net for a great price.

I used to hang it from my belt when walking & shoreline fishing, but any brush would catch the net and pull the magnets apart. I solved that problem by attaching a magnetic tether to the D-loop on the back of my vest and clipping the other end to my vest or belt.

Can you replace the netting in the shallow net? Replacement netting from Fishpond starts at about $20. I'm sure there are plenty of others even cheaper.
Not familiar with the Orvis chestpack, but can you cut the webbing and put in a couple of webbing buckles? They're adjustable, and they're cheap.
I'm always hacking my equipment, between the buckles and magnetic snaps I can pretty much mix and match backpacks, chest packs, lanyards, and an old flyte deck at will. And yeah, I have too much crap.

I have a buy once cry once mentality. I love my Fishpond in the nomad size. I use it for everything outside of steelheading where I implement a slightly larger net. I like the longer handle on the Nomad, provides great reach and I love the bag size. The longer handle length isn't a burden for me as I conceal the entire handle in my sling pack when not in use. The grip has a texture that won't allow it to get slippery when wet. I like how light it is. These nets will last awhile. If you enjoy this sport don't be afraid to spend a little money, it's worth it.

Both of my boys are all in on fly fishing...

Second problem is chest pack... They all hang so low on him even though he's 5'8". I guess I could get one and take it to have it altered. Anyone have any advice?...

Take a look at a Tek-Lok attachment to "temporarily" shorten the shoulder straps on a chest pack.

You can email or call BladeTech to make sure but I THINK you could fold the shoulder strap over on it's self and use the Tek-Lok to hold it in place thus shortening it without cutting and re-sewing.

If it works you could also use it to attach other stuff to the chest pack.

Take a look at a Tek-Lok attachment to "temporarily" shorten the shoulder straps on a chest pack.

You can email or call BladeTech to make sure but I THINK you could fold the shoulder strap over on it's self and use the Tek-Lok to hold it in place thus shortening it without cutting and re-sewing.

If it works you could also use it to attach other stuff to the chest pack.
If I were going to try that, I'd probably try to drill a hole through the strap after doubling it over then use Chicago screws to anchor the strap to the holes in the teklok.

Can you replace the netting in the shallow net? Replacement netting from Fishpond starts at about $20. I'm sure there are plenty of others even cheaper.
Not familiar with the Orvis chestpack, but can you cut the webbing and put in a couple of webbing buckles? They're adjustable, and they're cheap.
I'm always hacking my equipment, between the buckles and magnetic snaps I can pretty much mix and match backpacks, chest packs, lanyards, and an old flyte deck at will. And yeah, I have too much crap.
I could but the wood on the net is pretty beaten up. I could purchase a new wooden one and replace with a deeper bag.

I have a buy once cry once mentality. I love my Fishpond in the nomad size. I use it for everything outside of steelheading where I implement a slightly larger net. I like the longer handle on the Nomad, provides great reach and I love the bag size. The longer handle length isn't a burden for me as I conceal the entire handle in my sling pack when not in use. The grip has a texture that won't allow it to get slippery when wet. I like how light it is. These nets will last awhile. If you enjoy this sport don't be afraid to spend a little money, it's worth it.
I may take that approach and give my son mine. My old/cheap frabill net has held up so well I really want to give them my business, don't know why they went so shallow.

I would ask the boys to do some research and then make their own decisions about what gear they want, then let them use their own money from allowance, birthday presents, savings, etc (of course you can chip in as well). Everyone wants their kids to pursue interests and activities. Fishing, golf, guitar/piano lessons, art classes, whatever. The hard part though is keeping them interested and in my experience that only happens if they actually enjoy those activities. Letting them research different packs and nets and then using them on the water will help keep them interested. Plus they'll be more inclined to take care of their gear if they've invested their own time and money. I'd bet that your 14 year old is more than qualified to pick out the gear that suits him best.

Back