Pa Wild Trout Summit (Recap/Commentary)

In New Brunswick, Canada all fishing for sea run Atlantic Salmon is fly fishing only.

http://www.huntfishlodge.com/Fish.pdf Page 9/58

Good post Swattie. I think you boil it down well by saying there's a lot more in common then not.

I dont have a strong opinion on the ffo zones either way.

but I don't think that we can expect that regs will only be based only on their bio impact on wild trout. if I assume that the ffo regs dont really protect trout kg/ha, they could still be there to promote one type of fishing, or might increase year round fishing, on some famous streams. this might be a good thing, even if the ffo regs don't really improve wild trout kg/ha. other PA trout regs are clearly made with an eye to what fisherpeople want, such as stocking, which in some cases may just not have no impact on wild trout kg/ha, but could actually lower it. there are some places where I would want it stopped, but I expect that those regs/policies work for other people or the system.

FarmerDave wrote:

Hi Frank. I'm guessing the reason your question wasn't chosen was because of the rhetoric it contained?

I certainly can't blame them for not answering when it starts out that way.

I am an all tackle angler who simply prefers fly fishing when it comes to trout. I however, am not, nor ever was a fan of FFOs. I can probably count the number of times I fished an FFO on my toes and never by myself. It was usually because I was fishing with someone else who wanted to check it out. For one thing, they tend to be more crowded, and tweed gives me a rash.;-)

Harvest restriction is a conservation tool. Tackle restrictions are not.

Why would me choosing to fish with a fly rod equate to either of us thinking I am privileged?

It isn't that you can't fly fish, or that you can't afford to fly fish. We both know that. You just chose to not fly fish. Truth be told, your spinning gear likely cost you more than my fly gear costed me.

Your comparison to Spring Ridge Club falls apart quickly as well. Not even close, but you probably know that.

Bottom line... you and I probably agree on the main point. FFOs suck, and do exclude people who don't know how, or simply don't like fly fishing. But why would I jump on your team if you think I am an elitist simply because my rod is longer than yours. ;-) (that was a joke)

FarmerDave,

If I saw you fly fishing on a stream open to general fishing I would not call you privileged. If I saw you fly fishing on Slate Run/Francis Branch, where only fly fishermen are allowed to fish, I would call you privileged.

When I fish the Catch-and-Release Artificial Lures Only section of Penns Creek with spinners I feel privileged because I can fish there and bait anglers cannot fish there.

Remember, when I used the word “privileged” in my opening question I was talking specifically in the context of fly fishing on Slate Run/Francis Branch. I certainly don’t consider fly fishermen in general to be “privileged”. Never did. I consider them “privileged” when they get special considerations on trout streams.

As far as my comparison with what the Spring Ridge Club tried to do on the Little Juniata River versus what the PFBC has done on Slate Run, I stand by the validity of my comparison.

The question really boils down to this: The Spring Ridge Club (and to not further confuse things, it could have been Farmer Jim (no relation to you) instead of the SRC – who it was doesn’t matter) got sued for trying to exclude all general-public fishermen from fishing public water (the Little Juniata River in the Rothrock State Forest). They lost in court because they had no right to exclude people from fishing on public land. So what right does the PFBC have in excluding non-fly fishermen from a stream, Slate Run/Francis Branch, located on public land in the Tiadaghton State Forest? That’s my comparison – one entity couldn’t exclude people – they lost in court - yet the other entity gets away with excluding people. I consider this a valid comparison.

Of course, the first argument is always that non-fly fishermen really aren’t excluded because they can always pick up a fly rod. True, nothing new to that argument, but how many non-fly fishermen are going to fly fish? The answer is close to zero, so for all intents and purposes, non-fly fishermen are excluded. If Slate Run/Francis Branch was Bait Fishing Only, I would bet that virtually all fly fishermen would feel excluded, though on a fly fishing website such as this one I would not expect them to admit it publicly.

There is no fisheries-based reason why Slate Run/Francis Branch couldn’t be opened to all anglers. The reason it is FFO is strictly for social reasons, nothing more, and I don’t consider this a legitimate reason when it’s on public land. If Slate Run/Francis Branch was changed to Catch-and-Release All Tackle the only noticeable difference that anglers would see is that they’d likely run into other anglers more often.

I highly doubt the trout population would change noticeably. Remember, there are lots of Class A wild trout streams that are managed under general regulations that have robust trout populations despite the regulations – even when creeling five trout per day is permitted.

Additionally, the hooking mortality study done during the Bald Eagle Trout Tournament, overseen by a well-respected PhD, showed very low hooking mortality with bait.

Also remember that at the Wild Trout Summit, Mike Kaufmann, Area 6 Fisheries Manager with the PFBC, stated that anglers who pursue wild trout generally embrace the catch-and-release philosophy and that surveys have shown that on average only eleven trout per stream mile get creeled during a trout season on a wild trout stream. Therefore, even in the extreme, if Slate Run/Francis Branch were opened to creeling, which I’m not advocating here, there would likely be no noticeable difference in the trout population.

Let’s take this a step farther. Would the PFBC have the right to post Slate Run/Francis Branch “No Trespassing” if they chose to, again without any fisheries-based reason? Would they be legally allowed to keep all anglers off of public land without a fisheries-based reason – only a social reason? For example, what if they posted it “No Trespassing” just to study the reaction from fly fishermen – again a social reason?

I know this is an extreme example, but in effect that’s what they are doing to non-fly fishermen right now. As DriftingDunn mentioned in his contribution to this topic, it would be interesting to see what would happen if the PFBC got sued to open Slate Run/Francis Branch to all anglers like the Spring Ridge Club did on the LJR.

By the way, I never expected my question to get chosen at the Wild Trout Summit.

Frank, I didn't read the whole thing, but read enough to get the gist.

About comparing PF&BC FFO to SRC at LJ...

The way you originally presented it, it didn't make sense to me. I'll blame it on me being an engineer. But I think I see what you are getting at.

If you had compared PF&BC FFO to SRC general rule of FFO, then I would have agreed. But you didn't do that. You compared it to what they tried to do on the LJ. That my friend was ONLY about who owned the property, not what fishing gear was allowed.

I'm assuming SRC FFO rule didn't just apply to LJ. And even if it did, the two are still only comparable if you were or wanted to be a member.

I didn't address the rest because I don't think we disagreed.

hehe

"Remember, when I used the word “privileged” in my opening question I was talking specifically in the context of fly fishing on Slate Run/Francis Branch. I certainly don’t consider fly fishermen in general to be “privileged”. Never did. I consider them “privileged” when they get special considerations on trout stream."

again, I have no strong feelings on ffo zones, but isn't every person who fishes for stockies "privileged" (to use your word) by a policy that in some cases could actually reduce wild trout? yes, they get "special consideration," fish are put in for them. so maybe regs aren't made exclusively on wild trout bio impact. maybe the stocking policy, like ffo zones, does consider wild fisheries impacts, but also what fishermen want, and the promotion of fishing? could be the state just trying to balance things...

I think a change of regulations could be done on Slate Run. I'd prefer ALO.

I took Franks original "privileged" comment as derogatory, and I accept his explanation that this was not his intent.

The way I see it, in PA, fishing is not a right. It's a privilege bestowed on us for a fee.

So, regardless of the tackle we are using, we are privileged as long as we are doing it legally.

And some of us are also quite special. ;-)

I would like to fish immediately below the small dam on Kettle Creek in Ole Bull State Park. There are lots of trout stacked up there. But I can't legally, regardless of my tackle choice. There is a sign there that says No Fishing. That discriminates against license paying fisherpeople. And below that area is a Children's Only area. The freaking kids don't even pay a license fee and I do and I should be allowed to fish there and I can't.

I believe it was in the one public meeting on the stocking of Pine Creek below Slate Run (i.e. creating the C&R zone there) that Arway noted that fisheries management is one part science and one part people. It's not just a biological thing; there are politics and social pressures involved as well ($$ spent by the Brown Trout Club on fish and who knows what else).

People pick interesting hills to die on.

And oh that we would have this many words and energy put into the real issues at hand (like losing access for ALL fisherpeople, regardless of what tackle types we use, or having habitat destroyed, or climate warming, or whatever).

"I think a change of regulations could be done on Slate Run. I'd prefer ALO."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an avid worm fisherman and I feel discriminated against. Dang elitist lure guys...

I just drove by the Special Regs section on Clarks. Handicapped kid in wheelchair and vet missing an arm from the elbow down. Must be nice to be wheelchair bound, missing a limb and have your own private fishing club. Damn elitists.

Maybe I'll sue so I can keep my fish count at 12.001 per hour for 2017. I should be able to fish everywhere and with the method of my choice. Screw regs.

For those taking this as a huge joke (like I am), have to be aware that you may not agree.....but many will. One FFO falls, kiss the rest good bye. Point of reference:. Any city that had a monument / statue of civil war relevance.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy, at least most of the time.

Although I don't frequent FFOs (except when fishing with friends), I am not really against them. I just think in the interest of peace, ALOs are a better way to go.

IMO one of the biggest positives to special reg areas in general is that they attract crowds. This means less people on the vast majority of streams. I'd feel that way even if I didn't fly fish. I fish for the peace and quiet.

And frankly (no pun intended), I don't usually fish the popular class A streams for the same reason.

So, if all FFOs were all changed to ALOs, would it mean even less people on the run of the mill stream? Maybe.

Frank, be honest. I know that you know how for fly fish. You admitted that years back, and I'll even bet you are quite good at it. You clearly know where the fish are and that is at least 95% of the battle. You just prefer spin fishing because you can cover those spots more efficiently. Right?

If Slate (for example) was open to spin fishing, how many times would you actually fish it? Once or twice to try it out and see what all the hubbub is about? Do you think you would catch even more fish in those locations than where you typically fish, now? Try to keep the answer at 2k words or less.

If the number is low, why not pick up a fly rod those days? And once again, if this is a long drawn out answer, don't bother.

My little brother is the same way. He knows how to fly fish, but doesn't like it as much as spin fishing.

When we fish together on small streams, he spin fishes and I fly. He usually catches at least 3 times as many as me. He does like to rub that in, but I'm OK with that since I taught him how to fish.;-)

You and I (and little brother) all know spin fishing is usually much more effective and you can cover much more ground. But for me, it isn't about catching tons of fish. Been there, done that with bait and spinners. If I felt a need to keep score, I probably wouldn't be fishing at all. For me, fishing is a way to escape from competition and from people that suck.;-)

Most people are like sheep or cattle. They think the grass is always greener where they can't go. Fortunately, my IQ is higher than that. ;-)

It is said some cannot see the forest for the trees...

This is the forest&#8595

Slate Run

Known for its ledges and deep pockets, Slate Run is an exceptional value freestone stream and legendary trout fishing destination. It begins its descent in from rugged mountains on state forest lands, flowing 7 miles downstream where it enters Pine Creek in the village of Slate Run. Nearly the entire Slate Run watershed — about 45 square miles — lies in and adjacent to the Tiadaghton State Forest, where primitive camping offers hearty anglers a wild experience. Black bear and other large and small game inhabit the watershed and provide for abundant hunting and wildlife viewing opportunities.

Small brook trout and nice browns can be found in Slate Run’s headwaters and tributaries, and the stream is considered a Heritage Trout Stream, limited to catch-and-release fishing for its entire length. A neighboring stream — Cedar Run — offers similar serene and challenging trout fishing, particularly in the trophy trout sections.

The Threat

While the Slate Run watershed is largely untouched by man, industrial shale gas development is encroaching from the south, north and east. Much of the nearby shale gas drilling is happening on state forest and game lands or on private hunting and fishing club lands. Recent attempts by Pennsylvania’s decision-makers to lease additional state forest lands and state park lands could affect Slate Run’s native and wild trout resources, and the peaceful fishing experience it offers. Shale gas-related development occurring on the steep slopes of the Slate Run watershed could result in excessive sedimentation entering the mainstem and its tributaries, affecting water quality and trout habitat, and smothering food sources.

The Need to Protect

Sportsmen and women — those who spend a significant amount of time hunting and fishing on public lands — must have a say in how and where shale gas development is allowed to occur on state forest lands. Together, hunters and anglers are calling on Pennsylvania’s decision-makers to prohibit additional leasing of state forest and park lands, where the state owns the mineral rights. Where mineral rights underneath state lands are privately owned, sportsmen are urging the state to play a role in the planning process, to ensure that impacts to critical fish and wildlife habitat are avoided or minimized, and that the high quality of the hunting and angling experiences in the Slate Run watershed and on public lands is preserved.

Link to source: http://www.tu.org/special-places/slate-run

FarmerDave wrote:
Frank, be honest. I know that you know how for fly fish. You admitted that years back, and I'll even bet you are quite good at it. You clearly know where the fish are and that is at least 95% of the battle. You just prefer spin fishing because you can cover those spots more efficiently. Right?

If Slate (for example) was open to spin fishing, how many times would you actually fish it? Once or twice to try it out and see what all the hubbub is about? Do you think you would catch even more fish in those locations than where you typically fish, now? Try to keep the answer at 2k words or less.

If the number is low, why not pick up a fly rod those days? And once again, if this is a long drawn out answer, don't bother.

Most people are like sheep or cattle. They think the grass is always greener where they can't go. Fortunately, my IQ is higher than that. ;-)

FarmerDave,

I would have answered this sooner but I was out all day practicing what Rich Tate (aka rrt) calls "the mind-numbing tossing of spinners upstream and cranking them back downstream hour after hour." I spent some extra time today working on many of the intricacies of spinner fishing.

Anyway, first of all, no, I actually don't know how to fly fish, and the only equipment I have is a 10-ream paper box half full of fly boxes that I've found over the years, a stack of forceps, and a pile of those tiny florescent orange bobbers that fly-fishermen use that litter our waterways.

I only fished flies some back when I was a teenager in the 1970's. Therefore, I can't fish Slate Run/Francis Branch with a fly rod.

How often would I fish Slate Run/Francis Branch if it were opened to spinner fishing. Honestly, not often.

The first year I'd probably wait until about mid-June so that the major hatches would be over and I'd be less likely to run into any fly anglers. I'd go to Slate Run first in mid-week at daybreak and fish about a four-mile section ending at the confluence of Francis and Cushman branches. If I ran into someone on Slate Run, I'd immediately go to the confluence and fish up Francis Branch since I suspect it wouldn't have been fished yet since it is so small and likely rarely gets fished by anyone anyway, even now.

A second trip in the first year would be to go to the confluence of Francis and Cushman branches and fish the entire length of Francis Branch. If I ran into someone, which would be unlikely, I'd see if I could find some untouched water on Slate or else dabble in Cushman.

In future years I'd probably go there once or twice per year, assuming there was enough rainfall. I'd likely never go there before June so as to lower my chances of interfering with fly anglers. Also, on every day that I fished there I'd always be done by mid-afternoon or so since I'd be starting at daybreak, which further minimizes my chances of interfering with fly anglers since fly fishing is often more of an evening thing (maybe not by mid-June though).

By the way, for those people reading this who now think I'm making a big fuss over a piece of water I wouldn't fish much anyway, remember that I didn't raise this topic just for me. I know other people, who, like me, would love to see and experience what we've heard is a beautiful place. I also believe in fairness.

Also, for the record, if I fished Slate Run I'd have absolutely no expectation of catching any more trout there than on many of the other streams I fish in the north-central portion of the state. The limiting factors on streams in NC PA are drought, floods, ice, heat, lack of habitat, lack of spawning gravel, low pH, herons, kingfishers etc. which have nothing to do with the current FFO regulations. The number of trout I'd catch has nothing to do with my interest in going there. I'd just like to spend a day there catching some beautiful wild trout and enjoying the scenery. I'd also have no expectation of catching large trout.

You're pretty reasonable. I try to fish first thing in the morning to interfere with guys practicing the many intricacies of spinner fishing.

I don't know if this applies to the topic, or if I am off-base. There is a localized economy value to special regulated waters. Case in point: in the 70's and 80's I fished the special regs. area of the Beaverkill river in NY along with a dozen other fisherman mostly members of the Berks County Chapter of Trout Unlimited. We stayed in the local hotels for a week, ate there, etc. We fished there because we knew the water was protected, and there would be ample fish to catch.

The same could be said for many Pa streams, both on public waters and private waters. How many anglers are drawn to the opportunity to fish Slate Run and Pine Creek where there are "special regs", which is a boost to the local economy. I fish there, spend money at the Hotel Manor and the local fly shops. The same could be said for Potter County when deer ran rampant in those woods. The Game Commission chose to reduce the deer herds there. The result was an economic impact to many people and businesses in Potter County.

The same could be said for the Tulpehocken Creek DH area. I have shared many times my observations there with Mike. People from SE PA, Central PA, NJ, and DE. Does not have the same economic impact as streams in rural areas, but it does help. Face it, without special regs, people would not drive this far to fish the Tully. I live 1/2 mil from TCO Fly Shop in West Lawn, and always stop there about twice a week. Usually fly fishermen there who fish the Tully and make a purchase. They typically donate to the fund to stock fingerlings in the Tully. Don't hear of any "other tackle" fisherman who donate. The Tully is located on "public land", depending on your definition of public land. Part is owned by the Corp of Engineers, the remainder by the Berks County Parks Department.

Whether the fishing on the special regs. areas is better than anywhere else in the immediate area may be a matter of perception, but it certainly exists.

On another note I wanted to join SASS, but could not find the home page.

Back