PA Wild Trout Streams Not on the Map

wcosner2

wcosner2

I know the wild trout streams map/list for Pennsylvania is rather extensive. There are still new waters being added to the list every year but I was wondering how many of you all know streams that aren't on the list and seem to be overlooked.

Whether it be a lower section of stream that is marked as natural reproduction in the headwaters or a whole waterway. Obviously not asking for names but just seeing how many gems are still out there to find.

Many that appear to be “overlooked” are really not. If wild trout in sufficient quantity were found in a downstream area, then all named and unnamed tribs and adjacent wetlands upstream from the point of wild trout or near-by geographical designator would also receive the same water quality protections, so for the purpose of the unassessed waters program they have already been assessed, but their names do not appear on the list. Only the stream where the actual sampling took place would appear on the list.

Last edited:
It’s probably worth mentioning that if you do find tributaries or waters not listed as natural reproduction it’s not a bad idea to let PFBC know. Getting listed and the protections that come with that listing is probably one of the best ways to help protect it.

I was just talking with someone who got a stream surveyed and it turned out to be class A. I got to help survey an unlisted stream earlier this year. It will get some protections once it’s added to the wild trout list and DEP reclassifies it.

I hope folks don’t keep it a secret. The DEP protection is worth more than it being a secret honey hole.

I'm very much aflicted by OCD in most things. How I research and document my small stream finds is no exception. Here's the best way I can anser your question:

Since January 2021 (the last three years) I fished 65 new-to-me small streams. That number doesn't include multiple visits to the same stream or streams I fished previously and prior to 2021.

I maintain a special, personal "blue ribbon waters" list of the really exceptional ones I'm fortunate to find. These are the ones I wouldn't talk about even with my closest fishing buddies. There's currently 11 streams out of the 65 on that list. They break down like this:

• 7 CL A
  • 1 CL B
  • 2 Natural Reproduction
  • 1 has No PAFC designation whatsoever.
Only 1 of the 11 is designated as a Wildnerness.

After reading the Fox's post directly above mine, I may reconsider and call someone about the no designation one. We'll see . . .

Back