PA trout stream rod ?

jdaddy wrote:
That's six votes for 8-9' 4 wts! Still waiting for the 5wt masses to come in.

Hey, this thread could use a poll.
Yep, a poll did cross my mind,but I think there would be too many options and I'd likely miss some and people would complain.

Lonewolve wrote:
I don't think one rod does it all IMo,becuase Pennsylvania has a vast number of situations and water sizes to deal with. I prefer 7'6" or 7" 4/5 for smaller to mid size water. For nymphing/soft hackles and wets/as well as dries on big rivers or mid size streams with more wind and open canopies its a 10' or 11' rod.
So right now for me its Hexagraph 7'6" 4/5,or my first rod a Cortland 7'6" 5 wt on small to mid size water,and on bigger water i use a Cortland Brook 10'4wt although i plan on getting the 5wt 10 footer before trout season,also my Lamiglas 10' 6 wt or redington 11' 6/7 wt for nymphing ,softhackles and wets,streamers,Czech Nymph or Euronymphing,and of course the scrappy smallmouth.
One rod will never get by in my house i have been to the under gunned or wrong gun situation and have corrected that now.Try highstick nymphing out on Spring Creek with Dave Rothrock,and using a 7'6" 5 wt then try a 9 'er .You find out real quick what works and what cause a lot of grief.I prefer to keep my life sans Murphy,no offense tim if you read this im speaking of Murphy's law ok.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Yes sir I know one rod isnt perfect for all of PA streams. But you can "get by" better with some more than others. Example; I could do most of my fishing with a 8'-9' 5wt. better than say a 12' 10wt.
It's just a question of IF you had to compromise.

8 1/2 foot 5 weight would IMO be the best bet for a all around Pa. flyfishing rod. That length and weight can be used anywhere in Pa. Not perfect in all situations but a good compromise.

9' 6wt, i can use mine for streamers or dries. Have caught everything from a 5" brookie to a 27" steelhead.

For full disclosure, it was not my intention to catch the brookie on this rod, I broke the tip of my 6'6" 2wt on the way to the stream, luckily I had the 6wt inthe truck so the day was not a total loss.

Back