PA trout stocking opinion article

Pretty hard to turn back the clocks most of the brook trout in Pa have the genetics from the wide spread stocking after the lumber barons and wildfires removed most if not all the trees in the forests. Only a very few spots with old growth forests remain. Most of the streams were used for moving logs down stream to the mills or RR landings. These forests were clear cut the largest and prime lumber logs along with saplings, pitch props and chemical uses. PA fish and boat have been stocking the last 150 years. Very Very few spots have not seen stockings.

Pretty hard to turn back the clocks most of the brook trout in Pa have the genetics from the wide spread stocking after the lumber barons and wildfires removed most if not all the trees in the forests. Only a very few spots with old growth forests remain. Most of the streams were used for moving logs down stream to the mills or RR landings. These forests were clear cut the largest and prime lumber logs along with saplings, pitch props and chemical uses. PA fish and boat have been stocking the last 150 years. Very Very few spots have not seen stockings.
Would you approve of a large factory polluting a waterway just because it’s been happening for a number of years?

It's a good thing no one is stocking starlings, English sparrows, and carp anymore. Otherwise, they might establish populations.

It's a good thing no one is stocking starlings, English sparrows, and carp anymore. Otherwise, they might establish populations.
Dear troutbert,

You mean like the colonial Europeans? Just couldn't resist. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I have been meaning to dig deeper to find out for certain, but I believe the taxpayer money he refers to was a covid grant and a one time capital payment or something along those lines, and the money was used to upgrade infrastructure, not for the day to day operations as fishsticks suggests in the interview.

If I am wrong please correct me.

Reactions: CRB
What do you propose to do to restore only Brook Trout to that stream? It is a shadow of what it once was. It is silted in and has barely any water and there are Brown Trout throughout it's length? What would be done and what would be the point?
I just said I care. It's just sad what's happened there. I caught my first brook trout there. It's not just about the browns. It had a smattering of browns 50 years ago. I'm not looking to get into a big discussion about the Segloch again. You are right. It's a shadow of itself. I care. And things are about to get a lot worse if indications are correct.

Are there any Brook Trout left?

Back