PA Toothy Critters FF Success Thread - 2021

Bored out of my head. I want to fish. Launched the boat but it wouldn't float.

I'm new to poor tying. I seem to be good at it though. It was suggested to me by encouraging folks that perhaps I should tie one fly over and over, until I get good at that one fly, learning to tie them accurately in different sizes while keeping the scale of the fly in line. Then learn the next and so on.

I denied to my self that I had any need for such practice as I had mastered the art of tying and was on my way to fly-tying fame. Then this week-end I decided it was time to organize my collection and sort them by type, size and intended use............thats when it hit. Every fly I had tied was completely different. They were so off that one fly didn't recognized the others in its little fly box section and I didn't either.
I began surfing the web and looking at helpful articles, wondering how to get a handle on my skills, before others were onto me. I found many articles titled "5 flies I always carry", "10 flies for the common man", "3 flies that catch everything", and on and on. So I'm wondering if we couldn't cover that here. Carrying less flies and in a couple sizes for each would mean a smaller fly box and it would also mean I'd be tying allot of flies, over and over, until I developed a more consistent product. Maybe some of your could even realize what I tied and that could be good.
Would you consider sharing what 5 flies, colors and sizes you might carry if you had to limit yourselves.?
I realize this is the Toothy Critters Page but could we break this into two categories of commonly encountered warmwater buddies? Panfish and larger predators (Bass and Pickerel) sounds about right. Perhaps the moderator will move this to the main page but we'll see.

I'll Start
Panfish:
Wooly worm, all colors 14-8
Royal Wulff, traditional. Grey 16,14
Prince,16
PMD, White or Pale yellow 16,20
ants, Black, red and black, red, 16,14,12,

Predators:
Wooly worm, black with red tail 8,6
Closer, White and green 10,8,6,4
Wolly Bugger, White, yellow, Black, 12, 10,8,6,4
Frog 6,8
Deciever, white and chartreuse 8,6,4

This allows me to avoid many detours that I take because I like them, such as a plethora of soft hackle that look the same after while.
I hope this isn't to imature for you 'Old Codgers'. I think it could be fun to see everyones choices.

Nothing wrong with your post Baron but it is better as a fresh thread in the Tying forum (just copy and paste).

There are a lot more tiers on our forum than toothy guys so your post should get more views.
DW

Thanks, Can you make that happen or should I copy it over?

Here’s my first addition

Attachments

• F188E162-D137-4AE4-B03F-683150A4C270.jpeg
    F188E162-D137-4AE4-B03F-683150A4C270.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 5
Some toothy critter humor. Trout are for suckers lol

Attachments

• 2FF10252-FAC5-4F17-9343-1A83A3178499.jpeg
    2FF10252-FAC5-4F17-9343-1A83A3178499.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4
Fred: Now THAT's funny!

So, just throwing this out there: New moon is Friday, 3-4 days of significantly warmer weather, front coming through Friday. Is anyone going out for musky this Friday? I took PTO and will be wearing myself out in the Tunckhannock area.

This will be my first outing where I target musky.

I hooked one last year on an 8 WT, 12# tippet while fishing for smallies. Predictably, the fight lasted about 30 seconds. The tippet came back frayed. The fish felt very heavy.

Fredrick wrote:
Some toothy critter humor. Trout are for suckers lol
That’s a bit of a low blow there Fred. However, dang funny!
:roll:

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Is anyone going out for musky this Friday?

I got out a few times back in December when conditions were ideal (looked a bit better than Rocky, but not much!).

I'd like to get back out on the WW rivers in the next week or two but pre-spawn SMBs should be coming online about the same time.

So many WW opportunities, so little time.

(Yep, trout are for suckers... and suckers are for muskies.) :-o

Fly-Swatter,
Good luck. Let us know how you made out. . . and remember, follows count. :)

If the rivers and tributary streams are higher right now due to the gradual melt, it should be much easier to find the muskies. They do not favor strong currents in cold water, so they should be along seams, at creek mouths, and in back eddies for starters.

Mike: Thanks for the insight. That jibes with my experience fishing for pre-spawn walleye and smallies, too.

The West Branch at Towanda and Tunkhannock are not high now and falling fast. Most of the snow has melted near me. There doesn't seem to be more snow south of the Finger Lakes or Binghamton (sources of the Chemung and upper West Branch of the Susky, respectively).

I expect the water to be at a moderate flow and clear. That may not narrow the locations for musky, but we should be able to see follows and it makes maneuvering a bit easier. I know the section of river pretty well and have a few spots in mind. ;)

Well...Float aborted. :-x

One of my son's classmates tested positive for Covid-19. My fishing buddy is in a high risk group so we decided to postpone the musky outing. As it turned out, Mike was right about the snowmelt. THe river rose 6-7 feet in a few days. Also, Friday was post-front. In all, I don't think we missed a major opportunity.

In a few weeks I hope to have an 11 WT outfit with a 3-4" fighting butt (for fig. 8s). I'm looking at the Orvis Clearwater 9'4" and the Redington Predator Pike/Musky.. I will have them at A&G Outfitters with a reel and line set up for side-by-side casting.

Got another toothy yesterday on top .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169399496541043/permalink/1916053458542306/

Sad, I thought Solitario, Dave_W and Fredrick would have more to report about toothy critters by now. Whats happenin?

Baron wrote:
Sad, I thought Solitario, Dave_W and Fredrick would have more to report about toothy critters by now. Whats happenin?

Did you not click on my link from my last post ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169399496541043/permalink/1916053458542306/

Yeah yeah but that was ages ago. Time for new stuff. The water temps are probably perfect now for Pickerel and pre-spawn everything. I'm heading to Towhee for the afternoon. Wish me luck.

Had a shot at a small muskie about a week ago but couldn't get him to eat; also hit my favorite early spring pike spot recently and saw nothing (too few weeds this year).

With trout season and pre-spawn bass at center stage for me now, toothies, will get less focus. . . but I'm still in the game. April-May can be good months for esocids.

Is this the post Pickerel spawn lull I hear about where they disappear for a month or so after spawning. Been out twice and no hits yet. Panfish are also slow yet. Soon it will change.

Where did you see the musky, rivers or stillwater?

Back