PA State Park with best trout fishing

I wonder if Maxima lives on loyalsock Creek or at least stayed around hills Grove for the past summer? If so I can vouch that a conversation with him in person will be similar to what you read here

Maxima12 made this thread one of the best all time and for that i thank you.

When I was a kid, my family did a lot of camping at PA State Parks, because it was pretty cheap to do it. Sites were $6.00/day. Nowadays, prices are four times or more that; granted you get electric hookups and other upgrades, but we were tent campers and would not have used the amenities and for the extra money now, I'd rather throw in a bit more and get the roof and walls and heating/cooling to go along with it and rent a SP cabin. Either that, or pay nothing and go the primitive backpacking camping route.

The modern SP cabins are cookie cutter - pretty much you've seen one, you've seen them all. They are nice enough for a base of operations but we've taken a liking to the unique houses that are available in the SP system. Some favorite unique houses (all have proximity to some fish):

Ole Bull - Ole Bull Cabin - this is a large beautiful log cabin and is probably our favorite of all the unique houses we've stayed in. All of Potter, Tioga, Lycoming, and Clinton county streams are nearby.

Black Moshannon - The Old Ski Lodge - cabin #20 (I believe) is off by itself at the site of an old ski slope. It is huge and fairly secluded.

Shawnee - Lakeside Lodge - a very homey cottage on the lake. More warmwater species than anything else, but you're within 45-60 minutes drive of some trout waters

Pine Grove Furnace - Paymasters Cabin - the old paymaster's office, from when this was a working iron mine and furnace. Mountain Creek is in the park and CV limestoners are over the ridge.

Blue Knob - Twin Fawn House - a large ranch house, a little away from the rest of the park. Can be used as a base for many streams within 45-60 minutes.

Trough Creek - Trough Creek Lodge - TBD - first stay will be later this year. I know a buddy of mine and his son caught some holdover trout in Great Trout Creek this past summer.

Other options we have looked at but not stayed at - Sinnemahoning, Hyner Run, and Laurel Hill (Hufman Lodge and Copper Kettle Lodge - both might end up being extended family vacation getaways some year).

I've fished up in Pikes County..... Adams creek was really nice and there were a lot of small tributaries that I also had fun with dry flies. Catching a lot of brookies

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I've been to many of those and many aren't too far away, not that they need to be because I didn't specciy that.

By amenities I meant toilets, premade fire rings and the like. As I said I primitive camp a lot but I was hoping for a few "trouty" suggestions for state parks and u received a few. So thank you.

Might as well toss in Ohiopyle State Park - because the Yough - lots to do there, plus Good beer to be had in town, and necessary for sitting down with a cold one trying to console yourself over that “thing” that took you into your backing maybe two or three miles downstream of town. That “thing”was most likely a whitewater rainbow, pushing 30” and you lost it and your mind. Or, as is more common you fished, and fished, and fished...and managed one fish during a slate drake hatch...because it’s the Yough. The Big Mystery. Bonus: summer bikini hatches in rafts!

zenriver wrote:
Might as well toss in Ohiopyle State Park - because the Yough - lots to do there, plus Good beer to be had in town, and necessary for sitting down with a cold one trying to console yourself over that “thing” that took you into your backing maybe two or three miles downstream of town. That “thing”was most likely a whitewater rainbow, pushing 30” and you lost it and your mind. Or, as is more common you fished, and fished, and fished...and managed one fish during a slate drake hatch...because it’s the Yough. The Big Mystery. Bonus: summer bikini hatches in rafts!

pretty hard to argue with that for sure

Maxima12,
Thanks for this info, all of it. Great stuff.

Worlds End state Park, Haystacks

Poe Paddy is my favorite. Once of the nicest places on this planet.

Hickory Run. Surprised no one mentioned. Several good tributary streams in the area and a short walk to the Lehigh River.

Not disagreeing with any.

Ill throw in Oil Creek.

Back