PA Opening Day

If they did not post stocking dates, how would someone know to help stock?

Opening day is like Christmas morning to me. Although I have not fished opening day in decades it still elicits fond memories of my father, brothers, friends and family going out fishing. Yes we would go out on a stocked stream even though we had property with wild brook trout stream on it. Never did we ever think we were superior anglers because we could catch tiny wild trout at will 3 hours away from home. I still try to get out and observe opening day because I still see that families and traditions are alive and well.

I feel sorry for those who never experienced what I've experienced on opening day and who have an insanely negative outlook on opening day and those who enjoy it.

It also marks the beginning of the shad and striper runs.

mattwolf wrote:
The only people that need an opening date for fishing season are the ones fishing for stocked fish or fishing stocked streams. The April opening dates give more time to stock fish. If they had to stock fish in central/norther PA in Feb/early March the stock trucks couldn't get to a lot of the places. Also, NY stocks most of their fish after opening day, thus why NY doesn't have a lot of fisher people on April 1 going out. I lived in central/upstate, NY for 10 years and always went out April 1 for something to do, but not with high expectations to catch fish.

Where in NY did you live that nobody was out April 1? It's been quite a few years since I fished opening day but I've lived in NY my entire life and there are always a lot of people throughout the entire state fishing on 4/1. Its definitely not true that most streams are stocked after opening day in NY either.

About 10 years ago I nicknamed it National Sphincter Day. The number of them celebrating was overwhelming.

There is about a two or three week weather difference between the SE/SC area of PA and the upper/mid part of the state. When they switched to the two openers for trout I thought it was one of the better thoughts the Fish Comm ever had. Other than mentioning the openers I really pay no attention to opening day or closing day here in this state. I fish just about year round. There is always open water to fish regardless of the date. Opener means little to nothing.

Mike wrote:
I disagree with that assessment. There are many serious anglers who fish year around for multiple species and still appreciate opening day. The day's popularity with anglers has been demonstrated in every angler survey in which anglers across Pa have been randomly selected to participate.

I never said I didn't appreciate it my point was there always a place to fish even when they shutdown the streams for opening day .

Well, the bridge being out on Mill road meant that they didn't stock that part of Neshiminy Creek. I should have taken better notice that there were no "No Parking" or "Approved Trout Water" signs. So the afternoon I went down to Penny Pack and caught 3 trout, 1 small large mouth bass before it got dark. Sunday I was back out at Penny Pack and caught 2 before I decided I was wet enough from the rain.

A tradition of celebrating spring with family and friends wont miss it.
I fish year round up here.

I moved back to PA after living 40 years in Maryland. I had forgotten how intense the opening ritual is in PA. (MD too but a little less) I do not begrudge that. Sitting in lounge chairs at 10AM drinking beer with your buddies is a big part of the experience. But it's not for me. I did it when I was in high school. (Not the beer part but getting super excited the night before in anticipation was great)

To me Opening Day of Trout Season is like Christmas... it's for kids. Now I'd like to add to that it's an event to keep traditions going. Have at it.

I agree with having an "opening day" in PA. However, I think NY nails it with opening day being sate wide April 1st. I feel PA should adopt this approach. There isn't any reason why come April first water should be closed in PA.

Mike wrote:
I disagree with that assessment. There are many serious anglers who fish year around for multiple species and still appreciate opening day. The day's popularity with anglers has been demonstrated in every angler survey in which anglers across Pa have been randomly selected to participate.

No doubt this is true, and I can appreciate that. I just chose not to. ;-)

Never was a big fan of opening day of trout because I hate crowds and all the trash that is inevitably left behind.

I remember my first one. Dad took us out, we caught nothing unless you count the Richard Cranium who waded in front of me, but the line broke.

I remember not being able to sleep the night before in anticipation. What a letdown.

As I got more interested in wild trout, I usually stayed away from the unstocked streams for the first couple weeks to not draw attention to them. If I did fish them, I'd park far away and walk in.

Little brother and I started a tradition of fishing for other things on opening day of trout. Perch, crappie, even suckers and catfish. Whatever.

But everyone should experience opening day at least once, and it can be fun if fishing with a group.

Then again, the last couple times that I did fish on opening day, the crowds were nowhere near as bad as they were 40 years ago. The last time out, I went by myself and was the only person at the pulloff the entire time I was there. Harvested a couple stocked trout and after about an hour I went home. As I was taking off my gear, someone else pulled in to fish.

Not saying where it is at in case I chose to fish it this year.;-)

To me, the business of raising trout and then stocking in urban or suburban water they cannot survive in is just wrong. And so is teaching young people that "fishing" for hordes of stocked trout huddled together in a few "holes" near bridges represents normal fishing or normal fish behavior.

I'd rather they transfer panfish from overpopulated waters to overfished waters. At least they have a chance to survive and breed on their own, and teach people to actually have fun fishing for fish that act like fish. I'd rather a day covering a 1/4 mile of creek, catching panfish & fallfish than standing at a hole where the best fly is a pellet imitation.

I don't blame anyone or the fish commission or think they are bad, but I think some rethinking may be beneficial.

Back