PA Grand Slam!

Rural trout fishi8ng in

Yea really,...

All the "real" rural of my youth in Delco with the exception of Ridley State Park is history although there are few beats on Darby & the WB of Chester that ain't half bad...

...then of course there is the Dodge City of Delco; Section 5 of Ridley Creek, Section 4 of Chester Creek and Section 3 of Darby... ;)
Hey, easy there. 😂 I put those sections of Darby and Ridley in the stocking program. Brought the recreational fishing to the high population density areas. When you think about it, it’s pretty fantastic that in these times we can have such urbanized stocked trout fisheries, meaning that often the water quality in has shown such great improvement in comparison to the past. Lower Darby was one of those, plus a number of small parks were developed at the same time

As a former Delco boy I think before I die I need to go trout fishing in Brookhaven or Chester Township...

Followed by an appropriate after fishing experience at Lou Turks... ;)

As a former Delco boy I think before I die I need to go trout fishing in Brookhaven or Chester Township...

Followed by an appropriate after fishing experience at Lou Turks... ;)
Hey, if you can combat fish on Chester Crick, you can fish anywhere!

Hey, easy there. 😂 I put those sections of Darby and Ridley in the stocking program. Brought the recreational fishing to the high population density areas. When you think about it, it’s pretty fantastic that in these times we can have such urbanized stocked trout fisheries, meaning that often the water quality in has shown such great improvement in comparison to the past. Lower Darby was one of those, plus a number of small parks were developed at the same time
Mike,
If you haven’t read my “Thank you!” post in this forum, please do. Adding the lower section of Ridley to the stocking program allowed all of the special moments I talked about to occur.

From when I was a kid, I recollect from PA Game News that it was red, fox, gray, and black (I know... a black squirrel is actually a gray squirrel).
Yeah I’m pretty sure you are right. I was just joking around. Albinos are pretty dang rare. I’ve only ever seen two. And Delmarva’s are endangered or protected or something. So I don’t think shooting them is a good idea.

There HAS to be a PA Grand Slam... I just did it on Sunday. I agree about the wild trout trifecta as well.
Back in the 1980's my Dad & I were on Nelson's Spring Creek near Livingston, MT. In one day he landed a grand slam of a brown, rainbow, cuttthroat, and where it came from I have no idea an 11" brook trout.

I took a guy fishing on the Delaware once in the fall. He caught a brown, a rainbow, smallmouth, sucker, fall fish and a walleye..... All on flies 😳.

A friend of mine found a albino squirrel on the road in perfect condition. We took it to a well known taxidermist who gave him 50.00. Thought it would be worth more. Anyway it was found money.

A friend of mine found a albino squirrel on the road in perfect condition. We took it to a well known taxidermist who gave him 50.00. Thought it would be worth more. Anyway it was found money.

It was probably only worth only $50 because it wasn't a true albino but was actually a dead $#!+scared grey squirrel that died of fright as a car approached... :)

I took a guy fishing on the Delaware once in the fall. He caught a brown, a rainbow, smallmouth, sucker, fall fish and a walleye..... All on flies 😳.
That sounds like some of my days on the Sinnemahoning. One of each. Except the walleye. I catch the crap out of fallfish. And the occasional channel cat.

Mike,
If you haven’t read my “Thank you!” post in this forum, please do. Adding the lower section of Ridley to the stocking program allowed all of the special moments I talked about to occur.
You wrote: I rarely fish opening day, but some prodding and peer pressure got me out today. Despite the crowds, I had no problem finding open water to tight line nymph. I ended up with somewhere between 40-45 trout including a picture worthy rainbow, missed a mongo bow that jumped and spit the fly in about a millisecond, my son caught a couple of nice palominos, a young girl netted trout for her father as he reeled them in, a boy of about 4 years old wearing waders fished with his father and grandfather (who also had him out last week for mentored fishing), and three older fellas fished side by side in mobility-type chairs. My son also created his first GoPro video. In short, today alone was worth the price of my fishing license.

My response: Be glad that you could participate in and observe such events while fishing in an urban or metro area. Sometimes people ask why such streams are stocked with trout. Your review of just one day’s occurrences provided some insight. Were it not for professional and sportsmen interests in urban fisheries management such waters might be overlooked and many people would not have the opportunity to experience the joys of trout fishing.

Mike,
You’re welcome! We all thought good things could come from adding that section and creating a fishery there.

Back