PA Grand Slam!

K

KELORGO

IMG 7534
IMG 7533
IMG 7532
IMG 7535
Got the PA Grand Slam today. It’s only the second time I’ve done it. The last time was all on dry flies up on Pine Creek, about 8 years ago. This time was all on nymphs. I missed a lot of stream time due to a hip replacement last season, so it’s good to be able to wade and fish again 😎

Wow! You had a great day. One you'll remember for a long time.

Nice! Where on the Pine?
The Pine Grand Slam was about 8 years ago in the Gaines area above the canyon. This year will be our group’s 26th year taking our trout trip up there.

Yes sir, all stockies. Rural Delaware County 😎
I figured as much. I mean, obviously that bow and the golden were stockies, but I couldn't really see the pic too clearly of the brookie. The brown, while it is clearly a stockie, looks pretty good for a stockie. I have seen way worse and way uglier brown trout.

In fact, out of the three hatchery species reared and commonly stocked (I am not counting the mutated golden abominations), browns are, by far, the ugliest and least like their wild counterparts.

The Pine Grand Slam was about 8 years ago in the Gaines area above the canyon. This year will be our group’s 26th year taking our trout trip up there.
I was wondering if it was Black Walnut Bottom - I had a really good hour there before getting run off the water by a thunderstorm. I've never fished in the upper canyon.

Great catch.GG

In fact, out of the three hatchery species reared and commonly stocked (I am not counting the mutated golden abominations), browns are, by far, the ugliest and least like their wild counterparts.
I agree, especially the one's with the elongated "spots".

One (non Opening Day) afternoon last year while fishing French Creek in Chester County, I was chatting with a spin fisherman who was clobbering them with worms.

I saw some fish rising maybe 20 - 30 feet above him so I asked if he minded if I leapfrogged him to make a few casts. He was fine with it and I caught those risers but I couldn't help but notice his stringer had a brown, bow, brookie & a tiger on it.

He didn't realize (or care) he had achieved a slam of sorts and was uninformed about the tiger. I've only caught one in my life and didn't realize what it was when I caught it so I guess I understand. ;)

I've done a wild slam (brookie, bow & brown) a few times on a couple of select Class A sections, all formally stocked or with adjacent or non-adjacent stocked sections.

I’ve never caught a tiger trout in my life!

Back