PA Fishing License

Acristickid

Just FYI-

If you still have yet to buy your 2007 license and are maybe thinking of going to Erie (combo stamp) this year you can buy a 2008 PA license on-line as of Dec.1st 2007 and it is no only good for 2008 but for the rest of this year as well.

So if money is tight, no need to worry about the license issue.

From PA Fish and Boat Commision website:

Fishing Licenses
Licenses are valid from January 1 to December 31 of the year printed on the license and from December 1 to December 31 of the preceding year.

Heading back out to walk around with my rifle and freeze. Paul

Speaking of which, if you buy your license online it states:

"Licenses must be printed on white paper using black ink to be considered valid."

What difference does it make if you use color ink (besides not being considered valid)?

Hank

Black ink on white paper is the easiest to read. Due to the contrast.

Apparently not, hank.

But since you gave me a hofbrau. if I were a fish commission officer, I'd let you slide.

I printed min last year using the color setting and only the trout stamp comes out in Color. The large print 2007 and all other text is in black.

I think they are more concerned with the year (2008) being legible than a specific B&W copy. I believe it was just easier to express it using that language.

Sometimes when my printer runs out of Black ink I will print things in dark blue or red until I refill my cartridges. I think that is what they may be trying to avoid.

I would venture to guess that many of the people who purchase on line have never gone deep enough into their print menu to find the B&W radio button.

Maurice

Hey Hank...hows the baby? any new pictures?

My 2007 license is printed on a yellow piece of paper, but I did not purchase it online. I got it from a retailer and it's a newer format. Instead of taking my license and writing the information down on the paper license, they scanned the mag strip and read the information. This in turn put all of the same information onto the license. I was fishing in the ANF region in late October/early November and we ran into a WCO. He asked me and my buddy to show our licenses and I had no issues. Obviously there is a difference between those printed at home as versus ones purchased in a store. Since yellow with black came into question I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Hope that helps

Question, if you purchase it online, I assume you can print mutiple copies of your license? I aways get worried I will lose one.

When I get my Maine license, I can print several copies. Keep one in the truck and one with me just in case.

Not sure about the multiple printing option??

Here is the link to purchase:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/license.htm

I purchase my license online specifically for that reason gabber. I usually end up saving the HTML too so that if I can't find my prints I can just open it up and reprint. I have never needed to do this but it comes in handy if you're like me and have a couple vests and or packs that you use for various types of fish. I put one on each so I don't have to switch my license to and fro and make the mistake of losing or forgetting it.

I have always been curious about printing multiple copies of a license. I'm sure someone out there has passed an extra copy along to a friend and the chances of getting caught are slim. I would be curious to know how much money the PFBC expects to lose by offering this fast and convenient service to anglers?

I have never bought on line but a few years ago lost my license while steelhead fishing in Erie. I bought a new license the next week prior to my next trip up. Upon returning home a good samaritan had found and mailed my license back to me. Obviously a spare license would have saved me $5.00 and more important, the time spent replacing it.
Jim Kearney

The five dollars for a replacement license is one thing, but you are required to re-purchase at full price any of the add-on permits (trout, Erie). I learned that the hard way. Most states have moved to a computerized system where all of your permits are registered with your license. I hope the new system solves this issue. I am thinking of getting mine on-line so I can plan ahead with extra copies as well.

For instance...I did not purchase an Erie stamp this year but I might be going this weekend. So i'm going to buy my next year's license with and Erie stamp and save a few bucks and have it already for next year in case I go again.

We have this discussion every December since the license purchase went on-line. The law states that only one license is valid and cannot be reproduced, but I’ve been known to print several spares and put them on my trout vest, on my bass vest, in my wallet, in my fishing gear bag, and in the glove compartment of both my trucks, in case I lose or forget my license. Now, if I forget or lose my vest, wallet, fishing gear bag, and my truck on a fishing trip…..I don’t really deserve to go fishing anyway.

So whats the discounted price this year?

Its not that there is a discount but since I don't have an Erie stamp for '07 if I were to buy one it would be 9 bucks. If I just buy my '08 license with the combo Erie/Trout stamp for 2008 which I'm told is good as of Dec. 1st...its 15 bucks plus the regular 22 for the license. And I've already got my trout stamp...

so I guess the answer to what you are asking is that an Erie stamp is 9 and a trout stamp is 9 but the combo stamp is only 15.

If I had had to wait until Jan. to get a new license I would have had to buy an Erie stamp for this month and then a license and all the stamps again for 08...

I remember a few years ago it was jan 1st and you couldn't buy a license a lot of days and new years day fell on a weekend. That was pretty messed up. I went fishing anyway.

Hmm, well no apparently its cheaper if you buy the 2008 license in december then waiting until its actually 2008 to get it.

I'm curoius about the new system also? I have a part-time job at a store that sells licenses, and when we went to the computer generated license last year, we were informed that the number on your license will be the number that you will have for the rest of your fishing days. so if your number is 3366, when you buy a license this year your # will be 3366 again. Has anyone bought a 2008 license yet, and does it have the same #?

JH

Back