PA Fish Commission trout fishing survey results >

I have been saying for years that access is where all this hatchery money should be going. The chesapeake bay experienced 6 times the development than it did new tree plantings/expansion of riparian areas. From a fishing standpoint today we need to decide do we want to fund areas our kids can fish tomorrow or just put more invasive short lived trout in a shrinking pool of access and turn every stream into a rodeo environment as the elbows get closer and closer together. These landowner access agreements are super flimsy to start with and when the land owner dies or the farm gets developed many times so does the access.

People in 2020 we spent around $25 million of growing greener2 tax payer money on hatcheries then probably somewhere around $15-20 million of license funds went to hatcheries. Imagine what 40-45 million in one year could do for access then imagine what even 10 million a year for 50 years could do for access from a fishing standpoint and an environmental standpoint saving some of our most high value ecosystems from getting completely developed.

One huge issue with this survey is that currently PFBC is where these anglers get their education about what fisheries management is and they omit important information , lie about the effects of their hatchery fish, and hide their GIS data from the public and tell the public their doing a good job…..its not surprising some of the public thinks their doing great.

Noted was concern of stocking near “wild trout” which would obviously encompass native and invasive and also noted was stocking as a detractor of quality of fishing in some peoples opinions. It was not explicitly mentioned that I saw but I am guessing that is a shift or an increase in that sentiment.

Looming over all of this is we cannot afford to continue this type of trout “management” so no matter how happy some are with it change will be forced. Combine that with the demographic highest socially entrained to see stocking invasive species as normal and acceptable during our planets 6 mass extinction crisis starting to disappear and this exorbitant costs and increased want for better access will help this whole unsustainable post industrial revolutionary style dinosaur of a trout program collapse on it’s self in time.

Perhaps use the wild trout stamp fund money for eisments.
That would be nice if they did and probably actually better than making engineered wooden and rock structures the problem is that I think compared to the growing greener grant used on hatcheries at about 25 of 27.5 million and somewhere probably north of 15-20 million on hatcheries from license sales(was 12.4 as per 2009 report before inflation really hit).

I don’t even know if the wild trout stamp money hits six figures to be honest. I would guess that maybe not even one large easement to improve angler access would be able to be added with that. I would like to see the same survey but with the question specifically asking anglers if they would like PFBC to secure new places to fish where access won’t be taken away or lost on a whim or if they want to maintain the current amount of trout stocking with no significant additional access added. Their own financials say they cannot even continue doing the latter scenario with their own funds because hatchery costs rising faster than license revenues so it would be interesting to see dollars and sense make this decision eventually as well.

I feel like this was a biased survey that certainly does not reflect my own opinions on the PFBC. I didn't take the survey but feel as though my opinions and beliefs would not be reflected in this article, even though it'd make up such a tiny portion of the survey that it wouldn't really be relevant. What I don't like is that it seems that the people in the survey are either very satisfied or somewhat satisfied. What about unsatisfied? Shouldn't a survey reflect the full parameters of what people think? Seems to me like any people not in agreement with PFBC's policies have been left out and I get some propaganda vibes from this article. I always find it funny when an organization reviews itself and states that it is doing well and is beneficial.

I didn't find the topics discussed very broad. Seems for the most part that people want more space to fish and PFBC is working on freeing up land (they are good at that). As for myself, and call me a Grinch, I really don't care how much water is posted as it provides the fish a safe haven from the constant flogging even at my own expense of not being able to fish for them. If it were up to me I'd privatize the whole d*** state and let people who I deemed fit to fish it. This would result in a much better fishing experience for both the fish and the fishers. I realize that this will never happen.

I feel this survey should have discussed the financial state of the hatchery program and the environmental impact these stocked fish have on various bodies of water they are put into. These are important topics and shouldn't be ignored. The longer PFBC puts off informing the public of this the worse it's going to pan out in the long run.

I didn't get a survey. Wonder why? :ROFLMAO:

I always laugh at the "there aren't enough fish" comments on these surveys. The fish commish could increase trout production to 4 billion trout per year, and people would still claim they don't stock enough.

I think it's less of a trout quantity problem and more of a lack of willingness to walk problem. I know folks that expect to be able to pull up to a bridge crossing, roll down the bank, catch seven 18" goldies in 5 minutes, and belly up to the bar for the rest of the day. Anything less is a failure by the comish to provide a good trout fishing experience.

...What I don't like is that it seems that the people in the survey are either very satisfied or somewhat satisfied. What about unsatisfied?...

My calculator tells me if 68% are satisfied with the State's wild trout fishery & the same percentage for stocked trout management...

...then 32% aren't in both groups. ;)

Too bad they didn't do the survey among some of the PFBC haters on PAFF...

I bet they would have hit a 98% dissatisfied rating for everything!! :cool:

My calculator tells me if 68% are satisfied with the State's wild trout fishery & the same percentage for stocked trout management...

Perhaps I misinterpreted the data and now I won't go back to re-read it because it wants to charge me money. It seemed that they broke the demographic of people in the survey down to very satisfied and somewhat satisfied. If 32% are not satisfied, isn't that still a large enough demographic that their opinion should at least be mentioned?

I bet they would have hit a 98% dissatisfied rating for everything!! :cool:
1. I didn’t get a survey either lol, wonder why too

2. They just got caught lying on TV that their stocked brown and rainbow trout are not invasive and cause don’t cause any harm. What they out at this point is as trustworthy as Vladimir putins state of the federation.

3. If its even real id want to know how was it decided who was contacted and what was the average age of angler and was a demographic participation bias towards the older generation of more socially conditioned anglers slowly phasing out. Where retirees note likely to have time to fill out the survey ect.?

4. As I said before the bench mark communicated to these anglers for good management comes from the people being evaluated. That is one step a way from PFBC grading their own homework.

We know PFBC on anything that could be done alot better takes this approach
D4C26E3A C235 4E97 9409 53677D8792AA

And you ignored the fact that it financial Can’t continue. They are spending more than they are making so regardless
Its FUBAR

The Putin comment really tells you everything you need to know about all of this. Happy thanksgiving!!

I don't hate the PFBC, I just think they are misguided and are not being forthcoming with certain information that may discredit them, and are misguiding people as to their current agenda which seems to be profit from license sales, and I don't believe they are putting conservation first. Now with the proof of the damage these stocked fish are doing and will continue to do, it's a great time to come clean. What I'd like personally is for the PFBC to come forth with their wrong doings, own their mistakes, and come up with a solution that is more mutually beneficial.

What I'd like first and foremost is an apology from the organization followed by a plan that is ACTUALLY beneficial for the environment. They would then educate the public with this information to create a more educated community.

I'd like for the PFBC to take advice from and work with fisheries biologists and use that information to better the fishery and to promote other non-trout species as being viable fishing quarry. PA has a bizarre trout-obsessed mentality when there are many non-trout species that are exciting and fun to catch.

Now is the perfect time for the PFBC to have a "come to Jesus moment".

P
The Putin comment really tells you everything you need to know about all of this. Happy thanksgiving!!
Propaganda is propaganda no matter who says it. I deal in objective information. PFBC gave statement on Fox 43 that was false you can fact check it you can verify it. Russian propaganda and PFBC false claims of no harm and non invasive stocking are both examples of state run propaganda like it or not….. thats fact

Perhaps I misinterpreted the data and now I won't go back to re-read it because it wants to charge me money. It seemed that they broke the demographic of people in the survey down to very satisfied and somewhat satisfied. If 32% are not satisfied, isn't that still a large enough demographic that their opinion should at least be mentioned?
If I got a 60/40 or 70/30 satisfied/dissatisfied rating at my job I probably wouldn’t have a job anymore.

I don't hate the PFBC, I just think they are misguided and are not being forthcoming with certain information that may discredit them, and are misguiding people as to their current agenda which seems to be profit from license sales, and I don't believe they are putting conservation first. Now with the proof of the damage these stocked fish are doing and will continue to do, it's a great time to come clean. What I'd like personally is for the PFBC to come forth with their wrong doings, own their mistakes, and come up with a solution that is more mutually beneficial.

What I'd like first and foremost is an apology from the organization followed by a plan that is ACTUALLY beneficial for the environment. They would then educate the public with this information to create a more educated community.

I'd like for the PFBC to take advice from and work with fisheries biologists and use that information to better the fishery and to promote other non-trout species as being viable fishing quarry. PA has a bizarre trout-obsessed mentality when there are many non-trout species that are exciting and fun to catch.

Its so big and the rot goes so far up and they are so actively just trying to ignore, minimize, and skirt any responsibility for the loss of native species they are causing that all that is left is litigation. The house and senate fisheries committees want to keep it going obviously because they still view it as political pork they don’t have to reach into the general fund to tap into(although that is not changing with PFBC’s revenues falling below license sales and raiding growing greener 2 for $27.5 million of tax payer money almost all for hatcheries).

Litigation or people tiring of the wasteful money pit are our two only options. There are good people that care at PFBC about protecting native biodiversity and preventing extirpations and extinctions and have a conscience and passion for what the agency is supposed to manage. Sadly their not decision makers and the leadership is only focused on license sales.

If I got a 60/40 or 70/30 satisfied/dissatisfied rating at my job I probably wouldn’t have a job anymore.
Yea I would be in court having my financial assets amputated if that was my professional satisfaction rate. Must be nice

Imagine what it will be in 10 years if PFBC changes nothing and the oldest demographic of license buyers drop out of the license pool. I know many passionate retired people who pick conservation over their fishing preferences so ya can’t paint with one brush but thats the generation that came up when none of this science was there on stocking and the damages were unknown or unheard of, there just was no scientific communication at that time.

Id bet anything that the people who want more access and have concerns about hatchery fish in that survey would be younger in sub group analysis. Thats the future, and the generation after them as more sci-com and extinctions happen will be further in that direction. In the broad temporal scale PRBC running on fumes and this sad wasteful trout program is in its twilight. Unfortunately with climate change and the mass extinction crisis if they linger on like this for another decade or two the younger generations who are left to deal
with this mess are gonna lose alot of native species and populations.

Yea I would be in court having my financial assets amputated if that was my professional satisfaction rate. Must be nice

Imagine what it will be in 10 years if PFBC changes nothing and the oldest demographic of license buyers drop out of the license pool. I know many passionate retired people who pick conservation over their fishing preferences so ya can’t paint with one brush but thats the generation that came up when none of this science was there on stocking and the damages were unknown or unheard of, there just was no scientific communication at that time.

Id bet anything that the people who want more access and have concerns about hatchery fish in that survey would be younger in sub group analysis. Thats the future, and the generation after them as more sci-com and extinctions happen will be further in that direction. In the broad temporal scale PRBC running on fumes and this sad wasteful trout program is in its twilight. Unfortunately with climate change and the mass extinction crisis if they linger on like this for another decade or two the younger generations who are left to deal
with this mess are gonna lose alot of native species and populations.
You mean this?
Screen Shot 2023 11 22 at 41539 PM

On fire today, Shane! All govt agencies let bad policies die on the vine and never offer their Mia Culpa. Game Commision is the same way.

Russian propaganda, lol. How about American propaganda? How do you feel about that?
Dear bringthepain,

The usual suspects are out in force, like flies on s**t. One even claimed if they had a 70/30 or 60/40 approval rating they wouldn't have a job.

You'd think maybe they could get the hint by now and go biotch in their own echo chamber?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back