PA Fish and Boat, experiment with larger fingerlings

vcregular wrote:
So true KF. A viable study is to better understand wild trout reproduction in larger rivers/streams. Yough. Penns. Allegheny. Lehigh. Etc.

Where did the 25% survival rate come from wrt to stocked fingies? How is that determined?

Agree that identifying spawning in larger rivers should be a priority and needs more focus/study.

With regard to the 25% survival rate - I think this refers to the number that need to hold over and grow to "catchable" size in time for trout season the following year. Survival of fewer than this means it is simply more cost efficient to stock adult trout in springtime at the rate of 25% of the total of fingerlings stocked in fall.

Personally, I have long felt that such datum should be taken with a grain of salt since fingerling stocked fish grow into a more quality fish by the time they're fully grown (take a look at the rainbows in the Yough, gorgeous and powerful fish!). Nevertheless, from the point of view of the PFBC, this simply boils down to cost efficiency and quality of the adult fish is probably not much of a factor.

Could it be that if natives were stocked they would do better? We'll never know the answer to that.

krayfish2 wrote:
... there's some natural reproduction going on somewhere in that river.

I saw some locals trying to reproduce by the train tracks near South Connellsville. Nature will find a way.

Reproduction in the main river was also something that Bill Anderson speaks of in his Little J presentation.

I agree Chaz, a shift from hatchery trout has to occur. Trying to force a waterway into holding a certain type of fish is a waste of money.

$50 permit...lololololol!

Select trout waters will likely end up being another failed experiment. Come on PFBC, whatever happened to that tail water program?

Kray, I don't know about in the main river, but there is some spawning that goes on in some very small tribs of the Yough, by fish that normally live in the Yough. I have seen mainly browns though.

I don't know how they can get in the tribs. Most are so small, a 15" fish would struggle to stay wet .....or.....access is completely blocked by sediment / debris at the mouths of the feeders.

A few I know are very small, and they don't get up very far, but I have seen some browns spawning in them in the fall. I agree though, there is some that are unpassable to.

The Yough is a big river, and obviously runs many 10's or miles. I only know a small area or two. A gentleman I know who is a pretty straight shooter claims there is quite a few tribs that get some browns and some big ones to boot. Though I don't know where he means and haven't seen/documented it myself, as it is not the 2 that I know.

There were boxes sunk into the riverbed below the dam and above the Confluence bridge. The boxes were an effort to provide additional spawning habit- boxes held the gravel. Not sure if is or was successful.

There are many more tribs in the Casselmam/Laurel Hill drainage.

I've had a few great days on the yough. However; the amount of effort I've had to put forth is usually not worth the outcome. I kinda gave up on the fickle harlot. Killing your self wading and getting to spots plus the 90 min drive , drove me to just head east instead.

Maybe I'll hit it again soon.

Great option for July and August

acristickid wrote:
I've had a few great days on the yough. However; the amount of effort I've had to put forth is usually not worth the outcome. I kinda gave up on the fickle harlot. Killing your self wading and getting to spots plus the 90 min drive , drove me to just head east instead.

This is my exact experience. I keep going back though. It's a pretty enough stretch of river that it lessens the drag of a slow day. Although one day I got to experience rowing into a steady wind. Don't think I'll be doing that again.

Some of the tribs between Confluence and Ohiopyle are on the reproduction list, so there is probably some spawning there by river fish.

I drove down a rough road that parallels one of the tribs on the east side. The trib is in very bad shape, because of the influence of the road.

If the road was removed and the vegetation restored, the stream's condition would probably improve.

Without outting any specific locations, there are several areas of gravel (shoals and riffs) were spawning could be successful. I'm really curious about what percentage of mature trout will spawn in the main river if suitable feeders aren't accessible. Those would be interesting figures.

To echo some of the above posts, the conditions can be tough with wind and/or high flows. I've got a 2 hr and 40 minute drive each way. Not sure ive hit a world beater day but the last 2 or 3 were pretty good. You'd swear there wasn't a fish in it and the next time through, they are like ****roachs. Knowing were to look on that river is very, very helpful. I think I had 6 fish 18"-21" two trips ago. The last trip could have been spent catching 75 fish in the 7"-11" range.

Back