PA Bamboo Rod Makers vs The Rest

Raven456

Raven456

OK here's the question,
You have around $1000 or so and you want to purchase your first babmoo rod. You would love to give your business to a local PA craftsman, if possible, but will go where ever the best cane builder is. You are looking for a rod that is a combination of function and asthetics. Who or what company would you have build such a rod?

Since there is no way to agree on who the best graphite manufacturer is, bamboo is going to be even more impossible to nail down. Personal preferences on aestethics and casting action are going to figure heavily into that. And bamboo being an organic product probably varies a bit batch to batch and year to year. So there are a number of factors where a rod can be "best". You'll have to weight these yourself.

The only thing I can say is, that there are folks who get together to cast rods and fish bamboo together. You may want to get together with a group like that. One of these days, you'll meet a rod you can't live without. And then you'll make your lifelong commitment. :)

Raven unfortunately “The Best” or those perceived as the best, are well above your $1000.00 or so range and you can expect to wait at least 18 months to 4 years if you want one made to your specifications. If you’re looking for a Pa maker, there are a few. One I know who makes a truly nice rod is Bill Taylor in Boiling Springs. http://www.taylorods.com/. He is also in your price range. Another who I understand is good, George Maurer, http://sweetwaterbamboorods.com/, though I have never cast his rods. As Pad has suggested, you may be better off casting some rods first to get an idea of what you like. Another way to go may be the used market. If you know what you like, this can usually be better from a money and time standpoint. The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset is coming up in January and there will be plenty of makers and dealers of bamboo there. I’m not aware of any local gatherings in the near future. There was one in the Bellefonte area a few weeks ago. If you’re close by, I live in lower Bucks county and if you like, just let me know as I have a few you are free to come and at least lawn cast. Finally, Les Trout has forgotten more about bamboo than I will ever know, so hopefully he will have some additional help for you.

Good Luck!
Rolf

Rolf's advice is, as always, dead on. I would say that while a K for a rod is not going to get you into the stratosphere, it will fly.

Hopefully you have a nice reel to balance the rod. Bamboo can feel pretty heavy without a reel that matches the rod.

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly realize that I could never purchase a rod without first casting and getting "hands on" to determine what I may or may not like. I based my budget around the 1K mark but would probobly be able to go a few hundred over that. There are so many cane crafters and I have been on more web sites than I can count so I'm trying to get some real world input to help pear the choice down to potential half dozen or so. Your advice, Padraic and Rolf, is much appreciated.

Raven here might be another resource.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Rolf

You can’t go wrong with what Rolf and Pad said depending on where in PA you live you should be able find a good builder in your backyard. You can add Bill Harms, Tom Whittle and Tim Zietak to your list as well as a hand full of others. The biggest thing is what do you want Hex, Quad, Penta, line weight, length and action. I agree go to a show and cast, cast and cast and when you fall in love you will know. I don’t know how many circular rods you have sitting around that you don’t fish because there is something you just don’t like about the rod. Bamboo can be the same and expensive just to have around and not be fished. I always tell people, your first rod should be one that you feel is going to cover about 90 percent of your fishing waters. Then you can add that bamboo small stream rod or the steelhead rod or the big bass rod…etc.

Joe E

I hope you don't if I add a second plug for Tom Whittle. I know him through his involvement with my local TU chapter. And now he has started the PA Fly Fishing Museum organization. So he's a great guy, but he also makes a great fly rod!
http://www.stonycreekrods.com/

Raven
What has been written before I second or third or whatever. Each builder and the rods they make are a bit different..That is some of the attraction of Bamboo...each rod is a one of a kind. If you want to learn about Bamboo visit Clarks Classic forum... A lifetime of info will be at your fingertips. They are a great bunch of guys. The Makers mentioned are all good choices..I will add Wyatt Deitrich from Chambersburg PA. Not knowing were you live I might suggest picking a maker near your home..don't know any that would not let you come to there shop and see there work and cast some of there rods. I also invite you to contact me if you live in my area..South Central PA, I fish the Breeches often. You can cast a few of my rods, although I don't have nearly as many as Rolf.
Bill A

raven - are you near Chester County? Some of us here get together informally at times to play with and cast various rods, especially when winter conditions aren't propitious for ffishing. I just went through some training/calibration with a TU buddy who ffishes but is new to bamboo. We went through a dozen or so rods, using the same 2 lines, to give him a feel for the actions and define his personal taste. Bamboo, more than hollow plastic tubes, lends itself to much more freedom in creating a wide variety of actions, so it's good to get a sampling personally.

Another approach, which I believe Bill Taylor is usually receptive to, is to set up a visit and try out a variety of his work. One advantage he has is that he lives a few hundred yards from the Breeches, so you can cast on water in addition to lawns and maybe even tempt a few trouts.

tl
les

Back