Overlining my warmwater rod.

S

somersetian

I have and 9'6'' 7-8 wt with wf8f on it right now. I'm in the process of finding some new line for it, and would over lining it with 9wt bass line make casting 4'' to 6'' poppers and streamers easier? Anyone with previous experience would help.

you kind of have to try it. the right taper can make a difference to casting those flies too. some of this depends on how far you want to cast, and what line you choose. Some lines are heavier than others. ie. RIO outbound is at least one size heavier than the stated weight. If you search on this forum for similar threads on this subject you will find A LOT of opinions, ranging from " you don't know how to cast if you overline", to " I do it on all my rods". For the record I have both.

I just put 7wt line on my 6wt 8' Fenwick HMG. I only used once so far, and I like the way it casts (on-stream) but I'm convinced it's better (yet). I mean I want to try to cast it some more.

Here's a recent thread on overlining:

Over lining a rod

I pretty much only fish this rod on lakes so sometimes I want to cast pretty far. I have standard wf8f on it now, maybe I should just get some special wf bass taper.

somersetian wrote:
I pretty much only fish this rod on lakes so sometimes I want to cast pretty far. I have standard wf8f on it now, maybe I should just get some special wf bass taper.

If you can wait, I sure some forum members can give you advice. The problem is it's spring and everyone's out fishing so activity on the forum is slower than usual.

I think someone who does know about line for an 8wt bass rod will want to know what brand the rod is.

Here's a video I found on overlining:

somersetian wrote:
I have and 9'6'' 7-8 wt with wf8f on it right now. I'm in the process of finding some new line for it, and would over lining it with 9wt bass line make casting 4'' to 6'' poppers and streamers easier? Anyone with previous experience would help.

It depends on the rod and the caster, even the choice of line can make a difference. I suggest you take the rod to a fly shop and try casting different weight lines. Or maybe you can borrow different weight lines from a buddy to try.

I've had some more experience the 7wt line on my 6wt 8' Fenwick and it's really nice. Much better than 6 wt line.

The 7 wt line is Scientific Anglers Air Cel Trout Floating Fly Line
Scientific Anglers Air Cel TROUT Floating Fly Line.

I'm thinking you will like 9 wt line on your 8wt rod.

Be cautious, many of the new flylines are already a half to full size heavier than the AFTMA standards. Just going a full size heavier may really be two sizes.

Back