Overlining a Rod ??

Bruno

Bruno

I need a new fly line and found a WF6 Orvis Clearwater line for 7 bucks on the net. I am thinking i can use it on my 5wt St Croix.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of overlining a rod?

One line weight will rarely cause a significant problem. It should slow the rod down slightly. If the rod is already slow, then you may have a bit of trouble casting, otherwise, I bet you make the adjustment after only a few casts.

To elaborate somewhat:

Line weight is determined by weighing the first 30 ft. of the line. the difference between a #5 and #6 line is 20 grains over 30 ft. Twenty grains is approximately 1.3 grams, or about the weight of 4 paper clips.

Jack,
Way to break down line weight.

I have a question, for pike in northern canada, I was going to build a 10 wt., but am too cheap to by a new reel, and line for a 10 wt.
So I decided yesterday to build an 8 wt. using my six wt. line (which I hardly use and is my spare for freinds or bass).
Do you think under weighting by 2 sizes is ok - especially for throwing large pike flies?

I don't think you'll be able to turn those bug flies over with that light a line...But I bet you could afford and 8wt at this price and be just fine...

MKern,

I got a 9wt sink tip line from cabela's for under $30.

That might do some good for ya. If it's really a one-time or once a year thing, Tom has the right suggestion.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=83312&cdf=TopSeller

It's not really the line price, even though I would only use it once a year, it's buying anew real, or new spool. Although I think I have a spare cassette for my cortland reel.

wait,did he say line for $7 ?

Yes $7.00.

Here is one for 8.50 http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/9915254,83313_Orvis-Clearwater-Floating-Fly-Line-80-Ft-Weight-Forward-Exclusive-Loop-Connection.html

I get my lines at Wally World. SA lines for about 10 bucks. They last longer than any $50 line I've owned. And I don't have a problem casting them or handling them like I do with the expensive lines.

Dudes, it's a flyline fer cripes sake. All it does is provide weight to carry the fly to the fish. I can't see how any product could be 5-6 times as good or last longer than my cheapo lines.

And they are not seconds...watch buying seconds. I have a cortland (yellow) line I have used for steelhead for over ten years. I bought it for $8.00 at a flyshop in the seconds bin. It still isn't cracked and performs well but it is only 65 ft long. I bought a :Lazer Line" bass taper to replace it but I cannot bring myself to take it off and toss it. So the lazer line remains in the box in my bag. I bet it cracks before I put it on.

On the other hand it is fun to impress your friends on the river when you finish your cast with the backing in your hand.

Man, you guys spend way too much money on fly lines. Orvis online was selling the version of lines they sell at Walmart for $2.89 each. I bought 4 of them. Leaders & tippet matl was a quarter each or something. I have a load of that now too.

I'll save my $ for something I can pizz away. :lol:

John

i have never seen fly line at walmart.

Shakey wrote: "i have never seen fly line at walmart."

Wally World carries different merchandise in stores depending on the location. Mo probably shops WW in the York area - more rural and and fishin' stuff may move. Since you live and probably shop in the Philly area, not much fishin' goin on there, not even in Fishtown.

The philly walmart has tons of ocean fishing gear. Don't think they key on the trout stuff like they do back west of the city.

they carry it in bucks co....

Just one point for clarification...overlining a rod cannot change the action of the rod. The action is the action period. Remember that the action is defined by where/how a rod bends. What does happen is that the overlined rod will overload the road making it harder for the rod to transfer energy.

Well, some would say thats actually the FLEX of the rod (or action angle, or taper, etc, etc). The subjective action of the rod is not only dependent on the flex of the rod, but the rod length, and the material its made of, as well as how many grains of line it is loaded with.

Back