Over crowded and no respect for the fish

lonekimono

lonekimono

So I went to harvest creek the past 2 days. It was over crowded both days. I fished in both sections regular and artificial lures only section. If you are not familiar with the artificial lures section there. It is trophy trout section. There were more people fishing with spinning rods than fly fishing. I could see some of the larger fish with a few few lures stuck in the fish. Then there was a younger gentleman who was fishing with a spinning rod and was fighting a big trout for about five minutes or maybe even longer. So I then noticed that the fish was hooked in the side. I then told the him that the fish was fouled hooked. He said oh yeah like he was already aware. Well after battling this fish for several minutes he finally landed the fish. Now mind you this fish was exhausted. Now he begins to take all these pictures with the fish that he foul hooked. Like it wasn't a big deal he didn't catch this fish fair. He did try and revive the fish. Not sure if the fish made it or not. Maybe I am just an old timer. But these fish are getting way to much pressure. No respect for the fish. Sorry I just needed to vent I guess.

Ive fished the First Fork of the Sinne. for over 25 years. It was mostly fly fisherman back when I started but, a few spin fisherman also, and all was good. Than the state designated the special reg. area a Keystone area. That opened the flood gates. Many more spin fisherman started to use the area. I have nothing against spin fisherman, in the delayed harvest area we got along good as previously stated. But the new breed of spin fisherman (not all) know the area has big fish in it. I have witnessed people adding weight to there spinners and drag the bottom (nothin I can say it's legal I guess) where they can see the large golden or brown trout and try to snag them. I have noticed this in other spec.reg. areas also. If the state wants to put in these larger fish don't put them in spec. reg. waters

You aren't wrong. This is an unethical way of fishing and I would fish elsewhere. I think the state should end the keystone select program.

Anglers need respect for one another and respect for the fish..

Yes I agree not all spin fishermen are bad. I really do wish something would change. I decided to take today off and not go back to the same spot today. Boy I am glad that I didn't! However my boys did go and once again. Multiple spin fishermen snagging fish. They said there were a few guys using live bait it the artificial lures section. They also saw several dead fish on side of some banks. It is definitely out of hand. I can only shake my head in disgust. I truly get along with everyone I see fishing but how can I respect those who are ruining it for the rest of us. They have no care in the world that most likely that fish is going to die. Just to show off and say I caught this fish. by snagging it. Maybe I am asking for to much here. Show a little respect to fish and other anglers.

It pains me to say this but, IMHO, the PFBC's primary focus relative to special reg areas is increased license sales. They are more than willing to turn a blind eye to a lot of the snagging and unethical stuff if, again, it translates into more license sales (kind of reminds me of the doe license situation).

bugs4 wrote:
It pains me to say this but, IMHO, the PFBC's primary focus relative to special reg areas is increased license sales. They are more than willing to turn a blind eye to a lot of the snagging and unethical stuff if, again, it translates into more license sales (kind of reminds me of the doe license situation).

Of course it is for more license sales. It makes perfect sense. They need to create an incentive for people to want to fish and letting anglers know where they can find big trout is one way to do so. It's an enticement for your average average.

The problem isn't the program, it is the nature and ethics of the fisherman. This isn't new and people have always acted this way. I wish people respected the fish more. If they did they would care about catching a 10" wild brown more than an 18 stockie rainbow that was planted there. It also alleviates some difficulty as they tell us where they put the fish and then hordes of people go looking for them. The only positive thing about the Keystone Select Program, other than selling licenses, is that there are no such areas on the waters I fish.

In a day and age when outdoor recreation is utilized less by the public they have tried to create a way to maintain angler interest.

need to end the keystone select projects.
If you need to catch a big trout fish an L. Erie trib.
PAFBC Stop the spot burning where to fish Facebook already does the same. With no law enforcement problems develop.

I'm generally a fan of special reg sections and think we need more of them, not less.

I also think the Keystone concept has been a success (although I rarely fish these sections) and the public has responded with enthusiasm. That said, we have had similar complaints here on PAFF about such behavior/situations ever since the Keystone program began. Many of these have been about the Tully and often they involve teenage boys using spin gear and treble hooks. Considering the tremendous pressure and likely increased poaching wrought by the public knowledge of lots of bigger fish, the PFBC should probably patrol these areas more and perhaps put up some basic fish handling signage at access points etc.

I can only speak about a couple of Delayed Harvest sections that I fish but haven't seen any problems. Fly fisherman outnumber spin fisherman ten to one in those areas. I know after a couple times out im going to start to use barbless hooks for a easier release. I've never seen anyone bait fishing or snagging fish.

I hate when they make special rules because of a couple idiots.

jifigz,
Keystone Select does not sell many new licenses, so new license sales are not an ulterior motive for the program. Anglers along these stream sections were interviewed during the first spring that the program was in effect. One of the questions on the form specifically addressed this issue and it was clear that the program attracted the anglers who were already purchasing a license and trout stamp anyway. The program is popular, however, and as a result of the first year’s interviews and angler use counts it was expanded to other streams.

I fish for stocked trout, but this program has not attracted me. Despite fishing the Tully at times, I rarely fish the DH Area and I have not fished the DH Area since it became part of the Keystone Select Program. It is not because the program turned me off; it just did not provide an added attraction for me.

Lkyboots, your observation fits fairly well with data on DHALO Areas before there was a Keystone Select program. Angler use and harvest studies of selected DH areas revealed pretty darn consistent results.....fly anglers were around 70 percent of the anglers in these stream sections.

I used to fish the Tully quite a bit since it's not a far drive for me. But I've noticed some cringe worthy displays mentioned in the posts above at the Tully since it has become a Keystone Trout section. I now prefer to go other places to fish.

There is a small pool at Harvey's creek where they will stock some really big fish. The pool is about 12 feet by 12 feet. The poor fish are stuck in this pool until the water levels rise enough for them to get out. But not when I'm there. I will catch them and release them into the creek. You should see the looks I get at times from the people who snag or from the spinning fishermen. But the fish definitely don't stand a chance in that little pool. No where for them to go. They are free when I go. Lol.

Afish,
Then as a twist, perhaps you should “join me” in fishing the stocked trout open to year around fishing special reg area, Section 08, below the Keystone Select DH Area, Sections 06 and 07. I say that because at least the anglers who harvest fish are “honest;” they catch the fish and treat it as if they have no intention of returning it to the stream. What is being complained about above is tantamount to catching fish, treating them at least in part as if there is no intention of returning them in good shape to the stream, and then releasing them anyway. Anglers forget, including those who insist on snapping pic after pic or otherwise handling them poorly that fish caught out of season or in C&R seasons or stretches are required to return the fish to the stream in the condition in which they were removed.

NO! WRONG! NEVER PA. OVERCROWDED. MAYBE A LITTLE MORE BUT PACKED, WHAT EYES YOU LOOKING THROUGH!

SELFISH TO THINK, STREAM IS ALL YOURS! I SEE IT BUT DISMISS IT AS GREED. IN THE END THE GREED FAILS AND THE STRONG SURVIVE!

MAXIMA 12 YOU SEE THE GREEDY, DEAR SIR, LOOK INTO MIRROR, DID YOU HOG UP A SPOT, FOR YOU AND ONLY YOU! DID YOU NOT STEP ASIDE FOR A NEWBIE. HOW MANY YOU NEED TO MAKE YOU COOL! IF YOU ARE STILL TRYING, TAPEWORM, YOUR COOL HAS ALREADY BEEN LOST. FEARED, IT WILL NEVER APPEAR AGAIN!

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Yogi Berra

TROUTBERT! SECRET? GET THERE AND GO A LITTLE FURTHER! YOU MUST BE GETTING OLD. I CAN HARDLY WALK, SO BE IT, TAKES ME LONGER TO GET THERE BUT I AM WELCOMED WHEN I ARRIVE!

I GIVE THANKS TO MY FRIENDS ACROSS PA. I AM COMING, JUST TAKES A LITTLE LONGER. WHEN I GET THERE, REJOICE, THE MEANING OF FLY FISHING HAS REBOUNDED TO NEW HEIGHTENED MEASURES!

SOME TALK. SOME PLEASE. I LIKE TO PLEASE! MANY TAKE A PERSON TO "BEND THE TRUTH", I LIKE TO TAKE PEOPLE TO "BEND THE ROD". MAXIMA WAY! ALWAYS!

I thought you were retired from paff maxi?

afishinado wrote:
I used to fish the Tully quite a bit since it's not a far drive for me. But I've noticed some cringe worthy displays mentioned in the posts above at the Tully since it has become a Keystone Trout section. I now prefer to go other places to fish.

Same here. Coupled with an insane amount of pressure it's not fun anymore. A few years ago I would mostly have the place to ourselves in the winter. Now every day looks like opening day. I go else where now it's not worth battling the crowds. The keystone select program has really turned me off of streams that have the designation.

I'm a fan of the Keystone Selects although yes they can attract way too many people. More special reg sections might be the answer only if people actually patrol them. I was in one Keystone Select area yesterday that I found 3 jars of salmon eggs. I'm seeing more and more spin fishermen just driving around spotting goldens to throw at. They don't stop until the hook magically finds the fish. If the state stops doing anything I wish it was the golden rainbows. Just propaganda fish to attract the uneducated anglers who like to see fish.

Would be nice if they just put some big fish in these places without creating the special regs that draw in a rotten crowd. I see the same mentality... anything for a photo op. Snagging them is very common in the ridiculously small creeks like white clay especially when the water is low and clear. Honestly, I think this focus on promotion of these places does way more harm than
good.

Back