Outfished by baiters

Today I went out to try the stockies...I fished nymphs and eggs for about 3 hours and caught two fish. I switched flies all over the place trying to find the ticket. Eventually I had a purple woolly bugger with dumbell eyes about size 8. I actually tied this fly from marabou I got off one of the kids boa/scarf thingy...it was falling apart and I salvaged pieces for tying. It's a crazy looking fly but "what the heck" I hauled in 5 fish one after another. Brooks, browns, and rainbows. I swung it, stripped it, drifted it, even had one fish try to hit it in the air on my back cast. The sixth fish was big and took it. I'm going to the basement to tie more right now!! Change flies often. Today streamers were it. Had I not tried that fly my day would have been ok, but nothing spectacular. Change flies often!

Every year on the first day of trout season I fish the same spot and it's the same guys every year around me. We all have fun and do a "fly guys" vs "spin guys" competition, last year spin guys won as water conditions were terrible, years past though fly guys have won by a pretty good margin. That being said, hang in there and get out with Polky or someone else who can show you the ropes, I fished for a couple years trying to learn on my own before someone showed me the ropes one day and something just clicked for me. That one day increased my catches by triple I'd guess.

yea I know what you mean, I often think about my about my 11' 6'' noodle rod,and pulling nice fish out when no one else was.i really want to remove my indicator this year and try to get back to feeling the bottom again.but anyway,i don't understand it my self but I have just as much fun fishing all day with my fly rod and not evan caching a fish,as I did with the noodle rod.

It took me three years to reliably catch trout on a fly rod. I was so frustrated I almost took up golf. :evil:

Here's a suggestion, and seeing how you're from Stowe, this is something that could really work out for you... The Valley Forge Chapter of TU holds a fly fishing school near Downingtown every year in May. This year it's on the 18th. That's the Sunday after Mothers Day. For $60 you get a complete immersive experience into fly fishing the flies, the bugs, casting, everything from really good instructors. You get a book that covers all the content from the day and you get three meals, too. It's a really great bargain.

Check out our website for more: www.valleyforgetu.org

Are you sure you were even casting over areas that likely held fish? You can be fishing over an area that is loaded with fish, but the specific spots you are casting to held no fish. Reading the water is important, more important than fly selection. Now can be the most difficult time of year to locate fish if you don't already know the contours and features of a section of stream. Strong spring flows and green water tint can hide features that attract fish. Not fishing where fish are actually holding is the number one mistake I see others doing. It is why one guy can be getting shut out and the next guy 50 feet away is hooking fish one after the other.

It could be that the bait fisherman knew that section of stream well and were hitting the exact spots were fish were holding.

My choice to fly fish has nothing to do with catch rate. I am a better fly angler than I ever was a bait angler, but that is because I try harder and use dry flies as often as I can.

Thanks I will keep trying until I catch a Trout. I just find it as fun to practice casting than catching right now. Or just stick with nymphing since that hasn't failed me yet.

Lonelyflyman.I have 2 suggestions
1)I fish the Matawany once a week until June 1,so pm me and I'll go out with you and give you some pointers.

2)The most knowledgeable person fishing this steam is Rick Nyles at Blue Sky Anglers.He's a very nice guy and also a good teacher.You might want to contact him about a combination a lesson with some stream knowledge thrown in

Back