Outdoor Show worthless for fly fisherman

jpavoncello

jpavoncello

Anyone else aggravated as much as I was that the Great American Outdoor Show pretty much sucked for fly fisherman, hikers, backpackers and campers?

What happened to the days where TU was there doing fly tying demonstrations? I found one booth with a smattering of pre-tied flies, junk fly tying gear and clearance fly boxes that weren't worth the plastic they were made of. Shur-fly was the only fly fishing booth that I saw.

Seriously, how many people actually are going to take a hunting trip to Africa, especially now that the .gov is talking of banning the importation of exotic hunting trophies.

Would have loved to see more real outdoor companies (Orvis, Kelty, Tenkara USA, etc) there and way less mounts and destinations.

Only saving grace was the shooting sports hall, finally lots of good vendors there.

Can't wait for the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show.

The flyfishing vendors go to the flyfishing shows.

It makes no business sense for them to spend the time and money to exhibit at the Harrisburg show, which draws mostly a hunting crowd.

But you could get a miracle frying pan or indestructible car wax.

What TU chapter are you a member of, and did you volunteer to staff a booth? Me neither.

Did they have a booth at Somerset, or will they at Lancaster? Getting spread too thin is problematic with all of these shows, and given the specialized and fairly small audience for fly fishing, I would not expect much interest in being at that one.

I believe that used to be called the Eastern Outdoor Show or something similar. A chapter or two used to go there back in the day--not sure in the last 15 years. I would imagine diminishing returns--in terms of interest from the public--not just covering your expenses by selling flies--is the culprit. I have no idea what the cost to have a booth was, but it is something and perhaps just not worth it.

Also, IMO it is bad publicity for a booth to have very low interest from the public, evoking a "They're pathetic" association by the crowds streaming past without stopping.

I went there once in the late '90s when I lived in Bethlehem. ONCE. I'm also a conventional tackle bass fisherman, a rifle deer hunter and a small game/upland and waterfowl hunter. Even then, I saw very little of interest for me. It mostly reminded me of a life-sized version of the hogwash one sees on the OUTDOOR channel, minus most useful fishing.

Syl

Once I got hot and heavy into flyfishing, I quit going to regular outdoor shows. Really had no interest in what's there.
They had one at the pittsburgh convention center the weekend before this past one. And I was given free tickets. I still didn't even bother with going, preferring to stay home and work on the honey do list instead.
Our TU chapter has the cabin fever show in a few more weeks. That's the only one I have any desire to attend

Cumberland Valley TU had a booth there for many years and we did quite well with fly sales.

The Sports Show was always tilted more toward guns, hunting, lodges, and outfitters. . . but there was a big enough and good enough fishing hallway to keep me interested in the past (I didn't attend this year).

As DGC points out, getting spread thin is a challenge for many and the proliferation of alternative shows has cut into the ability, with respect to both volunteer time or financial bottom line, to continue to participate in the Sports Show.

Hopefully, the angling component of the Sports Show isn't in a death spiral.

Yeah its not that great in the fishing hall. I went two days this past week and probably spent no more than 15 minutes in the fishing hall. I mainly attend for the hunting and gun part of the show but it would be nice to see more than 1 fly vendor.

That show is the last place I'd go for fly fishing. I'd enjoy if there was a show that catered to hiking, camping, and climbing.

Fly-fishing is a small niche sport when compared to general fishing, and when compared to all outdoor spots, it has a very small following.

The fly fishing show in Somerset, NJ is dedicated 100% to fly fishing. It is the largest fly-fishing show in the east.

The March fly fishing in Lancaster is run by the same company, and while not quite as big as the Somerset show, it is also 100% dedicated to everything fly-fishing.

I can't believe people are just figuring out the Sportsman's Show is worthless unless you want to book a hunt.

I shot 3-d there for a few years. I'd go straight to the course at my registered time, shoot the course, and leave. That show is nothing but a live play of the Saturday morning cartoons on the killing channel.

I can't believe that people pay money to go to advertisements, period :)

SteveG wrote:
That show is the last place I'd go for fly fishing. I'd enjoy if there was a show that catered to hiking, camping, and climbing.

That might be a business opportunity for someone.

Add in: kayaking, canoeing, rafting mountain biking, birding, outdoor photography, environmental groups, and....?

Organic free range coffee? Hemp shoelaces? :)

A different crowd than the Harrisburg Huntin N Guns Show.

HA!!! Support the NRA!!!!! Hey Cabelas is having a 2nd amendment SALE!!!! Check that out. They probably have some fly stuff!!!

The only good thing about the outdoor show was the gun section. Very nice setup to shop around and see a variety of different types and models.

DGC wrote:
What TU chapter are you a member of, and did you volunteer to staff a booth? Me neither.

Did they have a booth at Somerset, or will they at Lancaster? Getting spread too thin is problematic with all of these shows, and given the specialized and fairly small audience for fly fishing, I would not expect much interest in being at that one.

I believe that used to be called the Eastern Outdoor Show or something similar. A chapter or two used to go there back in the day--not sure in the last 15 years. I would imagine diminishing returns--in terms of interest from the public--not just covering your expenses by selling flies--is the culprit. I have no idea what the cost to have a booth was, but it is something and perhaps just not worth it.

Also, IMO it is bad publicity for a booth to have very low interest from the public, evoking a "They're pathetic" association by the crowds streaming past without stopping.
The Show is now run by the NRA, I need not say more.

The State Council doesn't go to the shows, I think they should at least go to the Lancaster Show. Nut 4 to 6 Chapters have booths at the Lancaster Show, at Somerset NJ there are Chapters there. So the word is getting to the public about T.U.
When our Chapter had a booth at the Philadelphia FF Show we raised a lot of money for our work. However going to the Lancaster Show doesn't make much sense for us, it's way out of our geographic area.

Was up on Wednesday and thought I'd track down my old friend Frank Angelo. Frank is a guide outfitter out of McClure, PA Redtail Ridge Lodge. He was always one of the guys that put on fly'n demonstrations and sold flies. Nobody there doing nothing as far as casting and really promoting fly fishing. But it really didn't surprise me any. They made barely anything from going to these shows and it really wasn't worth the bother. I did check out the few flyers that were there but in all honesty. I have so much fly gear as it is I rarely ever see something that I just must have. Oh, sure fine, tippet and leader material but I can get that online once a year or so. I thought the show was great. Bought accessories for the black gun and picked up a few other odds n ends. Even listened to "Gunny" for an hour or so and his view of the world today. I though the food and drink prices were outrageous. Two small sodas for $6.50!?! WTF? I guess its all in what yer look'n for. Like I said, I thought it was a great show. The amount of people wasn't bad. Parked right by the entrance. $10.00 to park, $13.00 at the gate and $250.00 plus out of pocket on stuff I bought. Hell, I've lost more than that on a night out drink'n and not had as good a time as I did at the show!

Not to get off topic, but did anyone see the real elephant head mount in the book-a-hunt hall? While I wouldn't go over to Africa and shoot one, it was amazing just the size.

I haven't been to one in a number of years, but I recall it being a decent gun show and then a bunch of fluff.

That said, while it isn't to THAT level yet, the FF show in Somerset has much of the same destination lodge type crap. I suppose it appeals to some. But if I'm actually ever to take a destination FF trip, I'm gonna do plenty of research, and having a booth at a show ain't gonna sell me on it. Most people aren't thinking about distant destinations, and even for those who are, I just can't fathom someone who is thinking about a trip going to a show to make the decision on which lodge.

Back