Our Governor.....Incredible!!!!!

all of them were shallow, right? Coudy never had a Marcellus until two years ago. If there was a Marcellus how many wells on the pad? Have they been completed? How many Marcellus were being drilled in Indiana when you were in college? How many Marcellus have been drilled in Tionesta?

Oh, did not see the process is the same remark, not entirely true. Especially considering you were talking about the number of loads brought in which prompted my comments about damage caused. Marcellus wells need many, many more loads hauled in, something you have admitted in the past. I am going to let this go, but see my PM.

Pcray you may decide to not to answer this question but I have to ask. Those 5 wells you can see from your dad's front porch. Are they on his property? Have you or your family had any offers or are you exploring a drilling opportunity? It would explain your constant defense of an industry that has the potential to cause tremendous damage (the way it is currently done) to something you seem to love (the outdoors).

Nope, not his property, he only owns a half acre, and I only own a quarter of an acre. I wish we were in on it, but alas, we are not. All we gained directly from them were good deer stands, lol.

all of them were shallow, right?

When I lived there, yes, all shallow. There's Marcellus in the area now, and I have seen em outside of work, and been on the pads for work.

Coudy never had a Marcellus until two years ago.

Correct, they didn't have ANY until two years ago, all of the shallow gas was well west of that.

If there was a Marcellus how many wells on the pad?

Already said they weren't Marcellus. They were shallow gas wells, a single well on a pad, placed on a grid about every 1/4 mile. Marcellus wells typically put 8 or 12 on a pad, if that company has the rights to enough surrounding land anyway. But the grid spacing is every 2-3 miles instead of every quarter mile, so the actual number of wells is similar.

Have they been completed?

Yep, well, the final landscaping crew hasn't smoothed out the one yet. Of the ones by my dad's, 2 were fracked in the last 3 years. I went out to observe the one weekend, and took some stream samples from the nearby stream too. Dang things go all night, light up the house at 2 a.m. like its noon, and shake everything to all heck. But only lasted 2 nights of the fracking. Those are shallow wells though, yes, there's a shallow gas boom on as well. On a shallow well, from the moment the company shows to when they leave is about a year. But in that year, the initial landscaping crew will be there a week, then it'll sit empty a month, then an crew will show up and set up the equipment and the plastic lined wastewater pool, and it'll sit empty, then the drilling crew is there for a week or two, then it sits empty again. Then the frack crew and water trucks show, and work nonstop for about 2 days, and then the site sits empty another month. Etc. ad nauseum.

Of the Marcellus wells, no, the ones I've been on are not complete, and I've never been physically present during the frack, the only times I've gone on site were with drill crews. They take a lot longer overall for a given pad. Same basic process, but once they finish a well, the drilling crew comes again and starts well #2, and the whole thing starts over. Again and again up to 12 wells per pad.

How many Marcellus were being drilled in Indiana when you were in college?

None, just literally thousands of shallow wells. But I've been back recently, and yes, there's Marcellus going on. Haliburton trucks everywhere, I think Homer City is their regional base.

How many Marcellus have been drilled in Tionesta?

2 that I know of in the general area, and roughly 40,000 shallow wells in that immediate area.

he proclaims the gas industry is the answer to all our needs, but he won't put a severance tax on them like EVERY other state does.
the gas companies are the answer to HIS needs.
these companies ARE going to drill here, they WILL pay any tax we put on them. HE is the one making out from this.
and if he really cared about the state, how about giving any PA based drilling companies a break, try to keep some of the big bucks here. give incentives to pa based companies that want to get in the game.
the guy is so far up their asses he'll need a GPS to find his way out.

HE is the one making out from this.

My company wins whether they drill here or elsewhere just the same. It wins whether its gas, coal, oil, nuclear, wind, geothermal, or solar. I don't work for a gas company, nor does anyone in my family work for them or have any gas on their lands. The industry in general is a customer of the company I work for, but so is every other energy industry.

And my salary is in no way dependent on the success of the gas industry. My knowledge of it somewhat has to do with my job. But my interest is solely as a citizen.

In fact, I've stated many times, if it were up to me, the world would run on nuclear, we'd run breeder reactors which would cut way down on the waste problem, and cars would run on hydrogen fuel cells which would be a nice side effect of the nuclear. There are far fewer problems with nuclear, per unit of energy produced, than any other type of energy out there.

pcray, I was talking about our beloved governor, sorry if you thought I meant you :oops:

and hydrogen is good gas!!

and hydrogen is good gas!!

Depends greatly on how it is produced. Right now, no, its much dirtier than oil or gas. But it could be made cleanly.

Pcray there are both legacy shallow wells around coudersport and recent ones. There was a great deal of shallow wells drilled around wharton prior to the Marcellus boom. All of the shallow drilling was not well west of there by any means.

Comparing shallow drilling to Marcellus and calling it the same process is like comparing having a catch to pitching to the yankees, same process, but very different game.

We should tax at a rate equivalent to all other states. Why? Because we can. To not do so is stupid.

Daddy,

New found respect for you. After reading all of the bluster in this thread (most by Pcray), you nailed it in one simple sentence. If I have time, I'll respond with more tomorrow. (Not that anyone cares, LOL). By the way, would love to know how some of these guys find time to spend all day posting here.

I know this is a conservation forum, but why is nobody discussing what he is talking about cutting here? If all of you were asked to take a one year freeze would you be willing to accept it? Not to mention, they are also cutting your health benefits, retirement, increasing you responsibilities, and holding you to unrealistic performance standards. No child left behind, but lets keep screwing over the people that are to help them along the way. Start comparing what other jobs pay to people with masters degrees. Why should education bear the brunt of these tax cuts, while gas companies are not held to the same taxes that so many of the other states require? Many teaching starting salaries are less than $40,000 a year, some are closer to $30,000, but don't tax people who are making millions. How is this country expected to compete with the testing scores of other countries when we do not take education seriously?

How come no one asks where HIS cut is? if EVERYONE has to pony up like HE says where's HIS?

trew13 wrote:
I know this is a conservation forum, but why is nobody discussing what he is talking about cutting here?

You answered your own question. A political discussion in the terms you suggest would belong in OT Jam Forum. This one is about Marcellus drilling and is appropriate here. If you'd like to discuss the entire budget priority mix, I am sure you'll get plenty of action in an OT thread.

I guess I kind of knew that. It just looks like he is targeting education in a large way while giving breaks to the gas companies and crying there is no money. It seems like education and educators get dumped on a lot. Just get a little fired up when it hits close to home. Sorry for the rant.

Osprey I agree. On a drilling note...A tax comparable to other states could provide the funding to employ enough people to properly monitor and regulate the drilling. Take a look at englishprof's other thred (This just in...). It appears to me that they are rushing to get in the drilling without having everything in line. What's the saying-haste makes waste.

jdaddy wrote:
We should tax at a rate equivalent to all other states. Why? Because we can. To not do so is stupid.

But they they'll go elsewhere to drill for gas and they'll just get it out of some oth...Oh. Wait.

We should tax MORE than other states, so when they run dry and the price of the precious commodity goes higher, PA wins by being last man standing.

trew13 wrote:
I know this is a conservation forum, but why is nobody discussing what he is talking about cutting here? If all of you were asked to take a one year freeze would you be willing to accept it? Not to mention, they are also cutting your health benefits, retirement, increasing you responsibilities, and holding you to unrealistic performance standards. No child left behind, but lets keep screwing over the people that are to help them along the way. Start comparing what other jobs pay to people with masters degrees. Why should education bear the brunt of these tax cuts, while gas companies are not held to the same taxes that so many of the other states require? Many teaching starting salaries are less than $40,000 a year, some are closer to $30,000, but don't tax people who are making millions. How is this country expected to compete with the testing scores of other countries when we do not take education seriously?

There are plenty of other threads where teachers whine and moan. Use the search function and find one of them.

Back