Our Chance At Improving The Yough - Public Meeting: Sept 29, 2014

FWIW - After fishing the river for 25 years now, my thoughts:

Though not a world class fishery yet, it's pretty damn good. Certainly the best trout stream in the southwest PA area IMO

Like Grobe - I've also noticed the hatches get better the further you get away from the dam. Yeah, they don't blanket the water like you see on the central PA limestoners. But certainly enough to get the fish rising.
And the trout water does not stop at Ohiopyle.

A few things that really puzzle me about the place though:

The lack of insect life in the first few miles below the dam.

And why the discharge runs out of cold water by late summer. After running in the low '50's for most of the summer, it's now up to 67 degrees. And some years, I've seen it up to 70 and higher.
Other tailraces that I fish - with similar size dams - stay cold all year.
Why not here?

I wish they'd stock more lightning trout. They are easier for me to see as I'm zipping by at 30 mph.

As many have said, that river has serious potential. Is there a large amount of baitfish / minnows in that system? I know there's tons of crayfish. Just trying to figure out what they eat that grows then so big in that river.

krayfish2 wrote:
Just trying to figure out what they eat that grows then so big in that river.

The few that get really big from within the river are probably eating a lot of meat.

Meat .... AKA, stocked fingerlings? That's great if 75%+ of the fingerlings simply supplement the diet of the existing big uns.

I've heard from many anglers that the fingerling diet contributes to the size of the fish in the Yough. I myself believed the same, how else could fish get so fat. Then I started seeing the rapid growth rate of the yearlings we stocked this year and second guessed myself. I'm not saying these smaller trout are not gorging on fingerling trout but it's highly unlikely all of them are. The San Juan river is a good example of a fishery where trout get big and fat off of a diet mostly of midges, they don't have a high density of bait fish to gorge on yet still pack on the pounds. I've done plenty of stomach pumping this summer to verify these fish are gorging on small mayfly nymphs and hellgrammites to know they don't just eat baitfish. The numbers of trout in the 17-22 inch range was impressive by any standards last year and early this year. I have scene enough people walking out with stringers full of these fish to know it put a hurting on the numbers. After a few years of yearling stockings we hope to get those numbers back to where they should be.

I believe the water gets warm because the "lake turns over" and believe it's a result of the earths axis......google it and you should get more information. If the volume of water from Cassleman and laurel hill was more prominent this time of year you would see better temps below the confluence. Unfortunately the majority of water is coming from the dam.

Meeting is this coming Monday. Let's have a good turnout!

My observations are that the numbers of big fish were outstanding the last two years, less so this year. These observations do support Grobe's thesis that the stocking of larger fish in 2010 resulted in larger numbers of fish reaching full maturity. I'll be at the meeting to listen to all sides and speak my mind if the opportunity presents itself.

Great meeting tonight. The President of Chestnut Ridge chapter of TU, Dale Kotowski acted as the master of ceremonies. Fish and Boat Commission Executive Director John Arway was present, as was Mike Depew, Area 8 Fisheries Biologist. The biologist gave the initial presentation and he was followed by a series of 5 professional fishing guides who reviewed various sections of the Yough from the dam on down to the Monongehela. The panel took questions from the standing room only crowd in attendance to close the meeting.

The future looks bright indeed for the Yough!

WP_20140929_19_35_08_Pro%201.jpg

A BIG thank you to Grobe, Alby, and all who attended!
So what actions are in place to maintain / improve the water?

Indeed. Thanks to all. I look forward to learning more about the meeting, and ever more so to seeing some improvements to the fishery.

My impression is that the PFBC is standing pat on their fingerling stocking program. Chestnut Ridge TU has traditionally supplemented this with adult trout from their nursery and this will continue. Other friends of the Yough led by the fishing guides at Nemacolin have recently (this May) stocked 6,000 intermediate size trout 6-9 inches long and they plan to continue fund raising to make this a regular addition. http://www.nemacolin.com/press/current-press/nemacolin-field-club-stocks-the-yough-for-2014

The TU chapter is investigating the feasibility of adding massive amounts of gravel to the middle Yough to create suitable habitat for natural reproduction. This has been successfully piloted on the Pit river in California.

I didn't stay for the entire Q&A session as the introductory presentations lasted until after 9 PM. Perhaps Grobe stayed longer and can add to my observations?

I think the dam release and containment regime are the key to improving this fishery and, they are also the most difficult to alter without compromising the flood/flow control mandate of this impoundment.

Several times in an average year, the cfs flow rate multiplies tenfold or more. Attempting to change the characteristics of the substrate can only always be a temporary assist. Improving the reproduction rates in the various tributaries probably has the best chance of adding some wild trout to the main stem. It is and can be a wonderful stocked trout fishery. The fingerling and intermediate-sized trout efforts are admirable mainly because the forage is sufficient to grow small trout into larger ones at zero cost.

The adult stocking efforts are worthwhile as they provide a substantial recreational stocked trout fishery, while utilizing the river's ability to nurture trout to catchable size with little to no cost.

My 2 cents.

If another meeting occurs, the Army Corp of Engineers should be invited for their input as to how the outflow is regulated.

My impression is that the PFBC is standing pat on their fingerling stocking program. Chestnut Ridge TU has traditionally supplemented this with adult trout from their nursery and this will continue. Other friends of the Yough led by the fishing guides at Nemacolin have recently (this May) stocked 6,000 intermediate size trout 6-9 inches long and they plan to continue fund raising to make this a regular addition. http://www.nemacolin.com/press/curren ... stocks-the-yough-for-2014

The TU chapter is investigating the feasibility of adding massive amounts of gravel to the middle Yough to create suitable habitat for natural reproduction. This has been successfully piloted on the Pit river in California.

I didn't stay for the entire Q&A session as the introductory presentations lasted until after 9 PM. Perhaps Grobe stayed longer and can add to my observations?

A HUGE THANK YOU to all that attended! Totally blew my mind how many people showed up, I believe we were over 100 in attendance. I talked to many of the Commissioners after the event including Arway, he was very impressed with the turnout and was blown away by the angling opportunities from Confluence down to West Newton. The best part of the Yough is that its all open to the public, NO PRIVATE WATER.

I agree with your observations. Basically a fluke stocking in 2010 resulted in higher fish numbers the following years from the Cassleman down to below Ohiopyle. It only makes sense, bigger fish have a better chance at survival. The guides believe this is a great blueprint on how to manage the fishery a little better, stocking yearling fish over fingerling fish. What we experienced from 2011-2013 was based off of MANY days on the river. It's hard to believe this stocking wasn't the main contributor to the higher catch rates. The problem is the BIOLOGISTS need data to make changes. The yough is extremely hard to survey properly which Lorson admitted in the meeting. But until we get him the FACTS that he wants, I don't think any changes will take place. A group of us are taking scale samples of fish we catch in hopes to convince him that the majority of fish being caught on that river are from yearling stockings not fingerling stockings. When he gets enough data he will be able to make a scientific decision moving forward with the management plan. Our worry is we won't be able to get him enough info before he submits his plan in September of 2015 which stinks because it will be another 10 years before they do another sample.

They talked about how much the Casselman has cleaned up even over the last 10 years. It's changing for the better so rapidly even the Biologists can't keep up with it. Those of us who fish it often can tell by the diverse and heavier hatches that keep occurring each year. This is having a positive effect throughout the entire river system.

I asked the question about if the local community experienced such an increase in catch rates after the 2010 stocking, what would the cost difference be if they stocked 10,000 yearling fish instead of 64,000 fingerling fish and why would that not be considered at least to try? He never gave me an answer on the $ but said their hatcheries were not capable of that at this point due to fecal matter and something with the DEP.

Someone asked about limestone deposits in the lake itself to better the water coming out of the dam. It sounded like it was a huge expense to take on.

There was questions about changing the regs to Catch and Release, he said he didn't think it was necessary to improve the fishery.

Dale brought up the success of the Pit River and asked if we could mimic that on the Yough. Once again $ was an issue. So if something like that were to happen it will have to come from local groups to try and generate money to make that type of thing happen.

The bottom line is we will continue to get fish from TU, and also the fundraising stocking at Nemacolin. These will be our chances to show the Biologists that the yearling program is more productive on that river then the current fingerling program. Samples will continue to be sent to his office and the facts that he receives will hopefully help change a few things in the future.

There were so many positives that came out of this meeting though. We took a step in the right direction and we can't stop trying to make things better. Chestnut Ridge TU and the local guide services will continue to work together to try to maximize the full-potential of the fishery. If you guys want to get involved I ask that you join our local TU chapter because if we all combine our efforts good things will happen. I went to the last Chestnut Ridge meeting and we are in need of support, we could use some more people in attendance.

I don't know about you guys in Southwest PA but I'm sick of traveling over an hour away to experience good fishing for trout. I know we have our wild trout streams and delayed harvest areas, but how cool would it be if we all came together and made something special happen on the Yough?? If you guys have any questions about anything Yough related please feel free to PM me or show up at the October 8th TU meeting, we will recap it all there. Thanks again for everyone for their support, we still have lot's of work to do!

I have just moved to PA from Ohio. Trout fishing is slim in that part of the country, so you have to travel to Kentucky, Tennessee, and then go west young man. One thing that I can say about tailwater trout fishing is that it is possible to create a thriving trout fishery. For example, you should take a look at the tailwater fishery on the Cumberland River in Kentucky. The Cumberland River tailwater was created from the construction of Wolf Creek Dam, which created Cumberland Lake. It is part of the Tennessee Valley Adminstration which uses a host of tailwaters for electricity generation from the dams. I can say without hesitation that the trout fishing in the Cumberland River is just as good as any fishing out west. The KY state record brown trout is over 10 pounds, the KY state record brook trout is over 18 inches, and it is not uncommon to catch rainbows over 20 inches. This is a tail water that sees very large swings in water depth on a daily basis due to the generation schedule for electricity. The best fishing is from the dam to 12 -13 miles down stream. Now there is the National fish hatchery on this water way that is a federal project, and works with the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and wild life resources to stock fish. So you have the federal government helping out there. But I would think that there is something that can be learned from them. It could be the size of the fish that they release, and when. of course what I do not know are the numbers, as in cost for releasing larger fish than smaller fish. I am looking forward to fishing the Yough here soon. Hearing opinions from both sides is always a good thing, but also looking at other fisheries can be just as good.

Did the PFBC say how many adult trout they stock in the current catch-and-keep stretch between the dam and the upper end of the trophy trout area?

Maybe there could be some potential for shifting some of those fish down to the trophy regs area.

And maybe changing the regs in the catch-and-keep stretch.

When the state stocks the adult size fish they never put them below section 002. All there stocking is focused on the dam area. Trout Unlimited is the only place that stocks adult fish in other places. Their hatchery has been down the past few years but they got it back this year. I'm not sure on numbers and locations, but I know they stocked other places of the river.

Considering the lack of catch and release waters in SW PA I don't understand why it would be so bad to make 1 9 mile section of stream catch and release for those that want to fish year round. That's just my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more as far as looking at other rivers management plans. In the meeting Lorson stated that his goal is to sustain a fishery where catching 1 trout every 2 hours is a success. Well he admitted that goal has already been accomplished. What kind of goal is that if there is more potential for the river??? I don't want to settle for mediocre if there is room for improvement.

I did want to mention for those of you that didn't get to attend the meeting and want your voice to be heard, sending an email or letter to John Arway is a good way to go about it.

I do not think the outflow "cfs" is that major of a problem. I have fished the Cumberland River in KY which see's a difference of 9 feet in water level within a day based on the generation schedule. Here is that number in cfs. Low flow, 20 cfs, 2 generators 7,880 cfs, I have seen it go as high as 15,000 cfs with a couple of generators on. The fishing has only gotten better since completing work on the dam which took about 7 years to complete. The fishing has been increasing by leaps and bounds. I will say that it seems that they stock yearlings instead of fingerlings. If data is what the biologist need, why not have an area at the take outs that provide information sheets to be filled out with type and size of fish caught. From what I have read, it seems that there are very few put in's and take out's from the dam to ohiopyle. That way you should be able to capture the data needed due to limited take out's. I am sure the guides woudl gladly help along with others who float and fish. Just a suggestion.

Yough article

Fished last Sunday and had a much more pleasant day than the Steelers. Was able to hook into a few on top , which is nice. Isos and some small yellowish mayfly. Still lots of effort.

Back