Our Chance At Improving The Yough - Public Meeting: Sept 29, 2014

G

grobe33

As some of you already know, some local western PA organizations have been working hard to get the Fish Commissions attention in regards to the Yough River here in Southwest PA. Through some grass roots efforts, we were able to raise enough money to stock 6,500 yearling trout into the Middle Yough River in early May. Anyone that has fished the river this summer probably has caught a few of these guys, and they are doing extremely well. We are hoping that the PFBC is open to discuss the current stocking program on the river and how to improve it.

Well the PFBC is having a meeting Monday, September 29th from 7pm-9pm at the Nemacolin Field Club. The Public is welcome and encouraged to come support the Yough River. This is a great opportunity to show them how much we care about the river. The more people we can get to attend the better. So please, if you fish the Yough and want to see the river get better, plan on attending and bring a friend or two, we want to have a strong showing.

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

Made a small edit to the title to reflect the public meeting and date (good stuff to have in the title line). This thread would also be a better fit with the Announcements forum and will be moved shortly.

Thanks for your efforts in supporting this great river and hopefully there will be a good turnout at the meeting.
DaveW

Might want to invite the Army Corp of Engineers and ask them who is responsible for determining the amount of water released on the weekends.

Thanks Grobe. I'll make an effort to attend.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Sept. 16) – The Youghiogheny River and Ohiopyle State Park in southwestern Pennsylvania’s Laurel Highlands region offer a treasure trove of recreational activities for outdoor enthusiasts, from whitewater rafting and kayaking, to biking along the Great Allegheny Passage trail, to fishing for world class trout.
With so many opportunities, visitors could use a little “inside advice” when it comes to planning trips to the popular area.
In conjunction with various Yough River guides and outfitters, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will deliver “Yough Talk” on Monday, Sept. 29, from 7-9 p.m. at the Nemacolin Woodlands Shooting Academy in Markleysburg.
“The list of outdoor activities in our area is just remarkable, which has made this region a destination vacation spot for so many people,” says Boswell resident Lenny Lichvar, who serves as the PFBC District 4 Commissioner representing Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Mifflin and Somerset counties.
“A lot of local residents know what a gem we have right here in our backyard, but they’d probably be surprised when they hear from the experts who spend the majority of their time enjoying these resources,” he added. “This is their chance to hear the ‘best of’ the Yough from the pros.”
In addition to guides and outfitters, the evening event will include a presentation from Rick Lorson, PFBC Area 8 Fisheries Manager, who will describe what fish inhabit the river and where they live and will discuss how the PFBC manages the fishery so it remains a popular fishing area.
The evening presentation is free and open to the public.
Details include:
Date: Monday, Sept. 29
Time: 7 – 9 p.m.
Location: Nemacolin Woodlands Shooting Academy, 321 Pike School Road, Markleysburg, PA 15459
Agenda:
Greeting – Dale Kotowski, Moderator
Welcome – John Arway, PFBC Executive Director
Yough Talk – Yough River Guides and Outfitters
Yough River Management Plan – Rick Lorson, PFBC Area 8 Fisheries Manager
Public Q & A – Yough River Guides and Outfitters and PFBC staff
The evening event coincides with the PFBC’s quarterly business meeting, which will be held Sept. 29-30 at the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in Farmington. More information about the quarterly business meeting is available at: http://fishandboat.com/minutes.htm.

Can the public stay for the actual meeting or do you need advance reservations? Though I have to take issue with this as one of the recreational uses:

"fishing for world class trout."

There are no such specimens in the Yough. It is a wonderful recreational fishery, but not really capable of offering "world class" trout. Maybe some "bigguns" but not world class.

Jack,

Yes the entire meeting is open to the public. No reservations are needed the doors will be open at 6:30.

I'm sure many people have different takes on World Class Trout. If you don't mind me asking what is your take on what a World Class Trout would be?

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

I'd love to attend this but can't make the trip. There is a Yough management plan put together by DCNR, but I don't think it will be the same plan mentioned by the PFBC AFM that is mentioned in the press release above.

In short: if you're able to attend this meeting and the PFBC has slides covering the river management plan, please suggest to them that they put the slides on the agency website (or perhaps they will put up a video such as was done recently with the public meeting on Pine Creek). Thanks.

What changes are proposed?

Grobe, I would say first the fishery should be wild, not stocked, and secondly, trout above 24" should be somewhat common.

Troutbert,

Basically the PFBC did a survey last year and came up with some results. There findings don't match what some of us are witnessing on the river. So instead of settling with a Biologist Report, we want to educate the PFBC on actual findings that we as fisherman are experiencing. The two sides will speak there minds and then the public can speak. As Jack mentioned below, there is little if any natural reproduction in that river. My biggest change that will be proposed is the stocking format on the river....and I'm talking about the fingerling program that currently exists. Yearling fish that are stocked in that river (6-9 inches) seem to thrive in that waterway. I want to know what the cost difference is for the state to put less fish in but slightly bigger. If managing the river this way increases the trout per mile at the same cost why wouldn't we try it? After the 2010 stocking of 17,000 yearling fish the productivity of that river spiked tremendously in the following years. In my opinion it is starting to decline again because we are losing age class in the river, people can keep 2 trout over 14 inches and the current stocking program of fingerlings can't keep up with harvest rate because survival of the fingerlings is sketchy. If the river received a yearly supply of yearlings I think the fishery will be in much better shape year in and year out.

This is just my opinion, others that fish the river regularly have the same as mine, that's the neat thing about this public forum, anyone can give their ideas on how to make the river a better fishery. Hopefully everyone keeps an open mind, gathers all the beneficial information out there and makes a sound decision on how to better the fishery with everyone's ideas in mind. There's absolutely no harm in trying to make a place better then it already is right?

Jack,

Thanks for answering the question. I'm sure many people have different opinions in regards to what World Class fishing means to them. Would you consider any stream in PA "WORLD CLASS" Based on your criteria.

grobe33 wrote:

There's absolutely no harm in trying to make a place better then it already is right?

Agreed. And thanks for the info.

grobe33 wrote:

Jack,

Thanks for answering the question. I'm sure many people have different opinions in regards to what World Class fishing means to them. Would you consider any stream in PA "WORLD CLASS" Based on your criteria.

No. There are a few that a world traveler would enjoy, even the Yough, but none that I consider "world class trout fisheries."

The Yough can be a better fishery, but at some other interests' expense-- such as flood control, warm-water anglers, kayakers and rafters, etc.

I think the Yok is an amazing stocked trout fishery in it's first several miles below the Confluence dam, but not nor ever to be "world class."

Really excellent tailwater trout fisheries exist below dams in other places, including the eastern US.

The same should be possible at the Yough.

I know a guy that has caught a 12 lb brown and a 14 lb with hardware (spin rodder- aka cheater) out of the Yough. So there are huge fish there.

However; I find it tough work to wade that place. Which is why I dont fish it too often.

Not sure why the hatches are not more robust. The water quality I would assume is better now than it was 30 years ago.

The Casselman flows into it which cant be very fertile and I know there is some AMD that flows into it.

That is a river of mysteries. Good luck with the meeting- I will not be able to attend but would like to hear what the thoughts of others are.

JackM wrote:

No. There are a few that a world traveler would enjoy, even the Yough, but none that I consider "world class trout fisheries."

The Yough can be a better fishery, but at some other interests' expense-- such as flood control, warm-water anglers, kayakers and rafters, etc.

I think the Yok is an amazing stocked trout fishery in it's first several miles below the Confluence dam, but not nor ever to be "world class."

Wow, no world class fisheries in PA? None that a world traveler would enjoy?

I know that "world class" is a general term and is relative to how each wants to define it. I agree with your assertion that the trout should be wild, but I can't imagine where you would find the fulfillment of your second requirement that 2 foot trout be fairly common. The rarity of the trout that large are what make them special to me.

I am not a world traveler, but I've been out west a couple times and I know a few guys who get around the country on a pretty regular basis, and none of them tell me about places where two footers are common, although maybe they are keeping secrets. :)

For me, world class means an excellent wild trout population in a special environment with at least a chance to catch really large trout. As that applies to the Yough, what's missing is the wild fish. My biggest question for the meeting would be how can wild trout be established in the Yough?

Troutbert,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I always hear people comment on the insect life on that river and how mediocre it is. Blanket hatches are not common there, but the bug life is as diverse of any stream in Western Pa and continues to get better each year. The further you get away from the dam the better the bugs are. I also want to know how the fish grow so rapidly if there isn't much food in the waterway. A prime example is the 6500 6-9 inch yearlings we put in during the month of May. Most of these fish are already in the 10-13 inch class, I can't wait to see what they look like next year. The problem is most will be over the 14 inch mark and will be ready for harvest. So if we don't get a plan in place to continue the stocking of yearling fish that have a better chance at survival, we will never see the true potential of this river. The Biologists have a report on the website from their 2012 study. http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2013bio/8x03_08yough.pdf

My concern is that the improvements they recorded from 1994 to the 2012 data was reflective of that 2010 yearling stocking.....not the typical fingerling stocking they've been doing forever.

JackM,

I am not a world traveler. I hope some day I can find a Public river or stream that gives up 24 inchers commonly, I really don't know anywhere in the lower 48 that can produce that consistency, but like Grey said maybe there are places where you can catch a 3-6 24 inchers in an outing.....that are not lake run fish.

I do get around PA quite a bit. I was lucky enough to live in State College for 5 years and travel to the eastern part of the state to fish the Lackawanna and Delaware River system along with the many productive streams around State College. The POTENTIAL for numerous fish to get into the 18-25 inch class with an average weight of 3-5 pounds is VERY REALISTIC on the Yough. I saw it happen after the 2010 yearling stocking. For me, in my own experiences, that is some damn good fishing, world class fishing, because I haven't experienced anything better then that for big fish on a consistent basis. I'm sure there were some people on here that experienced the same thing at times on the Yough during that timeframe.

In reality, it was hard for me personally to except the fact that by doing what we are doing more people will flock to the river and see what is going on. But it's the only way to maximize the true potential of this wonderful trout river.

It's always going to be hard to wade. Access is easy to those willing to ride a bike. Including the upper portion of the river in MD there are over 30+ miles of potential trout water, and all of that water is accessible too the public. The yough is currently scene as an average fishery for trout, but with the help of mankind I think we can take it too the next level.

Here is a look at the average size yearling at this point in time, remember we put them in as little 6-9 inch yearlings in May. They are growing nicely.
IMG_0235.JPG

Agree about the bug life... it wasn't long ago that insect life was rather sparse... Now there is tremendous diversity and very fishable hatches year 'round.

The fish seem to be spotty IMHO. Some very good looking water never seems to produce, others places generally do. I've seen enough bug life that I am encouraged. As the Casselman goes, so will the Yough. Efforts on the former are paying dividends on the latter.

From a management perspective, I'd like to see a little more cold water in the late summer from the dam. I little less harvest of all fish, and continue with a slightly larger class of yearling fish, as that really improved the catchable fish population.

Also if somebody could educate the rubber raft/ kayak brigade to give the fishermen 10 or fifteen feet of space, that would be ok too.

Back