Otters in Penns crk?

K

kbobb

Hi all - sorry if this has been discussed or common knowledge - saw an animal swimming in Penns last weekend - clearly not a muskrat (if so it was the largest ever) and not a beaver - no flat tail.
Swam up and down on the far shore for about 20 min. Never saw it out of the water - no flat tail as best as we could tell. Big head and long body.
Thanks for any info

No reason otters wouldn't be in Penns.

There here in PA definitely could have been. Could’ve been a fisher.

DB235B26 4C69 4627 AE05 675283B4C783

My guess you saw a otter. There are plenty here in Pa. I had one swim within 15' of me while fishing Little Pine creek, also I watched a mother otter with her 3 little one's just below Blackwell on big Pine creek.

Yes they are in Penns. I had one swimming around me above Weikert about a year ago. They are very curious and if you remain still will come quite close.

Yes they are in Penns. I had one swimming around me above Weikert about a year ago. They are very curious and if you remain still will come quite close.
Thanks - that's where we were.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_182331.jpg
    IMG_20200530_182331.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 29
FWIW I pretty regularly see mink in Penns. Otters are definitely around too. There are even some that live next to a shopping center in my town.

Hi all - sorry if this has been discussed or common knowledge - saw an animal swimming in Penns last weekend - clearly not a muskrat (if so it was the largest ever) and not a beaver - no flat tail.
Swam up and down on the far shore for about 20 min. Never saw it out of the water - no flat tail as best as we could tell. Big head and long body.
Thanks for any info
I have seen mink, clearly mink, in Penns years ago feasting on crayfish. Otters have been in the Allegheny water shed (Oil Creek specifically) since the late 80s at least. That's when I saw them.

Yeah, then they hiss at you! (or at me, at least)

I've definitely seen otters in the Little J.

Albatross saw one on the Yough but it turned out to be a brown trout ;)

I have a cabin in Weikert and regularly see otters and mink. The otters love sliding on top of the ice when the creek freezes

I had a mink swim two feet in front of me down a fast run on Logan branch. Thought it was a giant brown for a quick second.

I saw an otter on Pine Creek below Cedar Run last week.

Back