Other waterproof sling pack?

phillyfly

phillyfly

Can anyone recommend a waterproof sling pack besides the LL Bean one and the WestWater by fishpond The fishpond is a little on the pricer side at 150$ and the LL Bean one looks like a satchel from Indiana Jones. I have been recently parking two cars with a buddy and walking warm water rivers to really pick apart water instead of floating. Problem is I get over my head frequently and need something I can store keys, wallet, flies and ect that I can trust will stay dry.

i don't actually have one yet but I'm told that the waterproof packs made by a small company in Alaska called Sagebrush Dry Goods are hard to beat from a quality and waterproof perspective. check out http://www.sagebrushdrygoods.com

Most of fly fishing specific sling packs i have seen from the popular fly fishing industry vendors don't have waterproof zippers and can't be submerged without leaking. The exception might be Patagonia Stormfront Pack and Stormfront Hip Pack which are way over priced IMO.

Chromefinder is correct.

The WestWater bag, which serves as an example of many similar bags in its class (i.e. Simms Dry Creek) is not waterproof. It is water resistant. The westwater is very water resistant and would probably emerge from a brief dunking without leaking. I'd imagine light rain or a reasonable amount of time in even heavy rain wouldn't pose a bring problem for the water-resistant bags either, but you're talking about submersion.

If everything MUST stay dry you're going to need to look at a waterproof solution like a roll-top bag or the aforementioned Patagonia Stormfront pack (which I own and can attest to being bombproof, but certainly isn't cheap).

Again, the westwater sling and hip pack are both awesome bags, but I wouldn't trust anything electronic to them unless I was very certain a swim was out of the question.

I've used this waterproof sling pack for over two years now. Big enough to hold all my fishing gear along with lightweight raincoat, lunch and water bottle. I use it as a boat bag when kayaking, wear it over my raincoat in wet weather and it keeps all my gear dry when deep wading.

I really appreciate the input guys. I almost pulled the trigger on the fishpond bag until I read this. I think im going to go with the orvis bag as its cheaper than the WestWater and im just going to continue using ziplocks inside the bag for my key/cell phone.

Back