Other types of lake run fish.

ryanh

ryanh

i imagine other large PA lakes have a similar trout run like Erie. Anyone ever go after these in the head waters in Raystown or other large lakes this time of year?

Walleyes, late winter/early spring in Raystown. They definitely run up tribs. They gather in large numbers in Trough Creek but they are also protected there.

Not at this time of the year, but walleye run slightly run into some of the larger, better flow tribs mid-March to early April and white suckers run tribs of various sizes around the same time. For walleye Nockamixon, Bucks Co was one example in the past. Raystown is another. Pymatuning is a third, but fishing that trib is prohibited.

Not all lakes have white sucker populations, but some do, such as Kahle Lake, Clarion/Venango Co, Antietam Lake, Berks Co, and many of the larger reservoirs. Some of these sucker runs have attractive fisheries for larger fish at a time of year when people are itching to break the cabin fever.

Although I haven't done much of it since I was a kid, the Spring sucker runs out of Lake Erie were always a pretty big deal around here. I'm not positive, but I think these are primarily white suckers. Lots of fish, though, often measuring in the high teens and going up to 3 lb. or so.

If you don't mind doing a lot of hiking between fish opportunities, there can be some worthwhile fishing for larger browns coming out of Kinzua into the tribs this time of year. But it's a pretty low density thing and a bit of a needle in a haystack endeavor. Every year, guys stake out the trib mouths and fish there. I always preferred to hike and hunt for fish. More elbow room , which is what I'm primarily about when it comes to fishing..

Any major river will ,may , have runs of fish as well. Allegheny in Tionesta had a walleye run in Feb. Those feeder streams to the Clarion and Allegheny should have runs as well. GG

Depending on the temps. Now trout and walleye. Spring small mouth bass, carp, suckers. Musky and pike will go up creeks not in runs though. That goes for rivers and some lakes.

Mike wrote:
Not at this time of the year, but walleye run slightly run into some of the larger, better flow tribs mid-March to early April and white suckers run tribs of various sizes around the same time.

That's why I said late winter/early spring. The trough Creek run is pretty well known and they keep an eye on it for rule breakers!

Dear Ryan,

I haven't fished it for almost 30 years but brown trout used to run out of Beltzville into the upper reaches of Pohopoco Creek to spawn.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Happens all over the place. Gotta put in the time. As someone said, not a numbers thing but some amazing quality, large trout....and yea happens with walleye, suckers and carp at other times of year.

My local freestone has a dam about half mile before it dumps into north branch Susquehanna. In early March my first river run fish are usually fall fish followed shortly after by walleye then about the end of March or beginning of April the large female smallmouths show up. By the end of April or early May the females leave and small males show up.

Smallmouth run into larger lake erie tribs in the spring towards the end of steelhead season.

One of our local spring creeks has a run of Gizzard Shad that come up out of the lake to spawn in early spring. They are on the small side but pretty cool to see because there are hundreds of them in a very small stream.

Many Erie streams have large runs of really big red horse suckers in March and April. Really big fish that can easily weight 7# - 9#. Also less quantities of quill back carpsuckers with a silver body and a odd dorsal fin. Then in later April nice sized smallmouth.

Growing up along the Monongahela River we would get runs of white bass into feeder creeks starting in mid to late March. Half the fun was finding them. Once you found them, however, you were bored after a half hour because they hit on every cast.

Tiogadog wrote:
Growing up along the Monongahela River we would get runs of white bass into feeder creeks starting in mid to late March. Half the fun was finding them. Once you found them, however, you were bored after a half hour because they hit on every cast.

Used to do a lot of live shots behind the old prison on the Ohio river when I worked for Channel 11. there is a small dock back there. Couple of old guys always there. Used to kill waiting time by letting them go on about the fishing. They said that spot behind the old prison was great for those white bass.

Most water supply lakes hold big trout, I know I've caught silvery trout in the fall that surely came out of a nearby lake.

Back