Orvis Vs TFO

NewSal

NewSal

Looking at buying a 10' 4 or 5 wt rod on a budget. $200.00 or less.

Kind of have it narrowed down to the orvis Clearwater, or the TFO professional series, both are equal in price at $200.00.

Would like to know opinions / experience's with both rods, and possibly suggestion on another brand of a 10' rod that would be 200 or under.

I personally am a huge fan of TFO rods. I have a 9' 4 wt professional series. They have just enough backbone that you can easily throw small streamers if that's something you do often, which was a big plus for me. Turns out it also works great for soft dry fly presentations. I'm not much of a nympher. No experience with the clearwater rods in trout sizes. I *think* TFO has better warranties.

Save up a little more and get the BVK 10' 4tw you wont be disappointed

Fredrick wrote:
Save up a little more and get the BVK 10' 4tw you wont be disappointed
+1. Love that rod.

Have you tried the professional series side by side with the BVK?
Im not 100% on this but my guess is they are pretty much the same rod, with the BVK having a better reel seat and grip?
If that's the case then I'd rather save the extra $80 for a good line.

I'm not a great caster, so to me the extra money for a more "high performance" rod is wasted, if I was a better caster then maybe I would be able to tell the difference. But for my experience level I'm sure the professional series should be fine, unless you think there really is a dramatic difference?

My main reason for the 10' rod is just for extra length, I wont be casting any longer than 40ft anyways, and most casts will be within 25ft. I just feel that the longer rod will help me tremendously by keeping my line off the water when casting across seams / nymping.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
Have you tried the professional series side by side with the BVK?
Im not 100% on this but my guess is they are pretty much the same rod, with the BVK having a better reel seat and grip?
If that's the case then I'd rather save the extra $80 for a good line.

I'm not a great caster, so to me the extra money for a more "high performance" rod is wasted, if I was a better caster then maybe I would be able to tell the difference. But for my experience level I'm sure the professional series should be fine, unless you think there really is a dramatic difference?

My main reason for the 10' rod is just for extra length, I wont be casting any longer than 40ft anyways, and most casts will be within 25ft. I just feel that the longer rod will help me tremendously by keeping my line off the water when casting across seams / nymping.

The BVK is probably 2 ounces less in weight and all around better rod and only $80 more
OZ
BVK TF 04 10 4 B 4 Wt 10' 4 2.9 $274.95

Pro TFO 05 10 4 P2 5 Wt. 10' 4 4.2 $199.95

Sal- sent you a PM.

I have a 9ft 4wt & 10ft 5wt TFO Professional. They are good rods for the price. The 4wt was my go to for trout before I upgraded. I have used the 5wt for nymph int and streamer fishing on some larger waters. I have their TFO rods including BVK, Clouser, TiCrX. I've been impressed with the value & performance of TFO rods. Their customer service is great. I broke a rod a few years ago - had brand new rod in my hand within about a week.

I test casted a Clearwater in the past, but never fished one. They seem like good rods as well.

I've got a number of TFO rods and a couple Clearwaters. The TFO rods are a bit faster. I'd say cast both of them and see which ones you prefer.

Back