Orvis Superfine Rod

D

Dale49

For the last several years, I've been looking to buy a used Orvis 7'9", 2wt Superfine rod. A friend let me use this rod several years ago and I loved it. Cast like a dream and had no problems with casting the smallest fly or chucking large weighted nymphs and streamers. When I was ready to purchase this rod, Orvis discontinued the production.

Lately, I've read in a magazine that Orvis has added an 8', 2wt rod to the Superfine series. Not sure when it was introduced.

Has anyone on this site purchased this rod and if so, your impressions please.

Thanks,

Dale

Orvis has replaced the last year's Superfine series with the new Superfine Touch series. The blanks are unsanded, and the actions are supposed to be different. From the reports I've read, the new Superfine Touch doesn't feel like the previous Superfines. Whether that is good or bad would require a test drive. ;-)

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

I love the Ultralight sight (yuku kinda sucks though) and a lot of my Orvis confusion has been cleared up over there.

Those superfines and ultrafines pop up from time to time on auction sites. There have been quite a few variations of them over the years.

I have a 804-4 superfine touch, it is a very sweet small-mid size stream dry fly rod. Never cast the trout bum or earlier superfine, but touch is very nice. I personally prefer a light slow action rod, so it is just for me. I also have a Helios 704 ion, a bit lighter than superfine but not cast as well for me.

The new touch series is a true full flex. If your into slow action action rods you'll like it. They are bit different then the older superfines but not much. The ion series helios rods are much much faster rods.

I just sold a Superfine Trout Bum 1wt to a friend of mine on that site.
The Trout Bum Superfine is no longer made. The rod was 7.5' 4pc and only weighed 1.5oz. A beautiful olive green and a "full flex" action. I paired it with a Sage 3100 (only weighs 2.7oz) and it had a good balance.
A med action rod and was great for dries and small fish.
The Touch rods are also great, but a little heavier because of the regular handle.
A couple things I've noticed:
1- The Superfine Trout Bum is a little "noodley"
2- The guides are a little too big for the thin rod (the really old ones have a bit too much gold on the guide wrap)
3- When the sections join together, there is too much male end sticking out (I think that's why they discontinued them)
4- The cigar shaped handle is a bit too small for a perfect balance.

Now I have a Helios. My Helios 3wt 4pc 8'4" rod is actually lighter than the Touch 1wt at 7.5'. The Touch still used the big heavy guides while the Helios uses titanium flex guides. A much better taper with the Helios and not noodley at all.
The Helios is the lightest rod in the world, made in US, but way too expensive ...... but I made the upgrade!!

Back