Orvis store in Haverford closed

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

Yesterday, a car ran off of Lancaster Ave and into the Orvis Store in Haverford. They will have to stay closed until repairs to the building can be made.

Na. Orvis and Simms have taken beatings around here in the recent hipster/flat brimmer/millennial threads. Can’t give that stuff away right now. 52 week low on their street value, not worth the hassle.

They will probably be closed longer than expected.....The insurance co. will probably want to give them 1/2 the cost that Orvis places on it's equipment......

SmoothOperator wrote:
They will probably be closed longer than expected.....The insurance co. will probably want to give them 1/2 the cost that Orvis places on it's equipment......

Which is probably still more than Orvis paid for it the first place.

Sucks for Orvis a little, but didn't TCO start partnering with them this year too? That is a bigger investment of money for a smaller local chain of shops and a more significant loss. Sucks for them more perhaps. Remember, Bryn Mawr is still open, yeah?

Where they not the company that was selling different size dog beds for some outrageous price years ago? I'm an animal lover ( family had like 6 dogs once) .......But I draw the line at beds that cost as much as mine.....

Article in Orvis news from earlier this year:

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/orvis-tco-fly-shop-launch-innovative-partnership-pa

What a weird set-up, competitors gear inside of a branded Orvis store.

I just don't see how that can be beneficial to Orvis unless TCO will push Orvis at that location and their other brands at their other stores.

Sad that the old Eyler's location is vacant although I never shopped there when it was TCO.

Well the TCO and fishing gear side of the store doesn't seem to have been damaged from looking at that photo/video, that is by the cash registers on the Orvis clothing side of the store. Hopefully no one was hurt.

Where they not the company that was selling different size dog beds for some outrageous price years ago? I'm an animal lover ( family had like 6 dogs once) .......But I draw the line at beds that cost as much as mine.....

Orvis "lifestyle" type products obviously cater to a certain class of people, and have for the past 100+ years. I'll save up the bucks for a rod, reel or waders, but won't buy much else there. What did you expect walking into an Orvis store to go buy a dog bed? They were going to be the same price as a bottom shelf dog bed from PetSmart?

I just don't see how that can be beneficial to Orvis unless TCO will push Orvis at that location and their other brands at their other stores.

They really don't seem to push Orvis products. There is Fishpond, Simms, Costa sunglasses, Yeti, etc. gear all over the place. There is sort of a definitive "line" (aka the store architecture) that splits the store in half from the Orvis clothing versus the fishing gear/TCO side of the store. Yeah, they have Orvis bags, tippet, line, reels and rods, but they carry all sorts of other major brands. Extremely helpful staff have helped with a couple major purchases I recently made, and if they didn't have what I was looking for, it was there in a day or two, brought in from one of their other locations. I believe all the fly tying stuff is now all strictly managed by TCO as well.

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
They really don't seem to push Orvis products. There is Fishpond, Simms, Costa sunglasses, Yeti, etc. gear all over the place. There is sort of a definitive "line" (aka the store architecture) that splits the store in half from the Orvis clothing versus the fishing gear/TCO side of the store. Yeah, they have Orvis bags, tippet, line, reels and rods, but they carry all sorts of other major brands. Extremely helpful staff have helped with a couple major purchases I recently made, and if they didn't have what I was looking for, it was there in a day or two, brought in from one of their other locations. I believe all the fly tying stuff is now all strictly managed by TCO as well.

Agree 100%. Friendly and knowledgeable young staff, all the gear you need and more, and they always have good music playing (McMurtry, Drive By Truckers, etc). I work in Ardmore and it's great to have a store like this right up the street. A big step up from the old TCO in Haverford. Also, I don't think I've ever even set foot in the non-fishing side of the store (maybe in 20 years when I'm in my 70's I'll want to wear Orvis clothes, lol). Hope they reopen soon.

Just kinda wondering this. If I have an Orvis gift card, could I use it on other brand name stuff at this location?

Have you considered calling the store?

Back