Orvis Silver Sonic waders vs the competition?

steveo27

steveo27

Back story, I purchased a pair of Cabelas brand convertible stocking foot waders at the beginning of the year because the deal was too good to pass up. They were awesome, at first. No issues with them. Comfortable, leak free, ect. I followed the instructions with cleaning them and they worked great. Fast forward about 8 months or so. They started leaking live a sieve. All the seams started splitting and leaking. I Aquaseal'd them. Washed and treated them with Nikwax Techwash and spray on waterproofing. It helped, but they still arent perfect. Kinda pissed off I wasted all that time and money with such an inferior product. If I would have known they would have failed in less than a year, I would have never bought them.

Anywho.

Orvis is currently doing their "Fall Orvis Days" and I recently received a 20% off coupon in the mail. Ive been eyeballing their Silver Sonic convertible waders - http://www.orvis.com/p/silver-sonic-convertible-top-waders/5h5e - for a while now and Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair since I have a coupon.

Ive been nothing but happy with everything Ive purchased from Orvis so far.

Does anyone have any input on these? Comment? Criticisms?

Or is there another pair I should look at in the same price range?

Thanks

Just do yourself a favor and go to the Simms site.

There's nothing Orvis makes that's worth $279 to me.

Also, don't buy into the "convertible" gimmick. Any breathable chest wader can be folded down and secured with the shoulder straps.

No personal experience with either but will look at both siver sonic and Simms when my Greys start to fail but why are you washing your waders? I use mine a lot and never have washed them, other than a quick hose job if muddy.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Just do yourself a favor and go to the Simms site.

There's nothing Orvis makes that's worth $279 to me.

Also, don't buy into the "convertible" gimmick. Any breathable chest wader can be folded down and secured with the shoulder straps.

100% AGREE!

Simms is the way to go my friend.

If you do some looking around, might find a shop or two clearing inventory for the winter. I've seen Simms Headwaters for under $300.

I want to love Cabelas but can't as I've had horrible luck with most of my purchases from them. Rods (multiple) broke at ferrule or tip, floating line sinks quicker than my sink tip line, etc. Did get one good reel and a rain jacket from them that I was happy with.

Simms would be my first choice, Dan Bailey's and the Redington sonic welds.

I think the Redington Sonic Welds license that technology from Orvis. Anyway, of the dozens of waders I've used, and used up, from decades of splashing around after trouts, I am most pleased with the Orvis Silver Sonics I got several seasons ago. I like the concept, since most of the eventual failures I've had were at the seams, which may be sealed, taped, glued etc. but ultimately had threads creating little holes to create the seams.

Granted I haven't used any Simms, but I thought their top line stuff was on the heavy side, which would be uncomfortable in the summer humidity.

I have to agree with Les, the Simms are by far much heavier than most other brands.

I know now have the Patagonia Rio Gallegos and the Orvis Silver Sonics.

I much prefer the Patagonias. However, the Orvis are much much lighter.

I have the silver sonics, had them for about 5 years and never had an issue with them. The redingtons are the same as orvis.

Cabela's should give you some kind of refund on those waders.

I think the simms are overpriced and not any better than other high end companies.

I was just about to post something on my orvis silver sonic guide waders. I got a pair less than a year ago and the seams busted open on two different pairs so far. The orvis customer service has been great they replaced them on the spot both times, but it sucks being on a weekend trip that no amount of aqua seal can fix. The waders I returned today were leaking on 5 different seams, it is very easy to spot unlike some waders that are stitched. I have stuck with orvis waders for many years because brand loyalty and customer service but if I were to go out and buy a pair today it either be simms or bean.

I just passed the 10 year mark on a pair of Simms original guides precursor to the G-3's. I have one large patch about 300 pin holes and a pair of neoprene booties that have been repaired on them over the years. Washed about every 1-2 years depending on pin holes and treated with revive X. At the time '05 they were $300 waders=#$30 a year. I am wondering if they will last the year. I have always received excellent customer service from them over the years on multiple different items.

I have the old L2 models from Simms. A good 10+.yrs old. They have a few small leaks so I only wear them on warm water trips. 1/2 the weight of the g3 models so they are nice when it's hotter out. Used them on the Susky last Saturday and remained 99% dry. Retailed for $299, got them shipped for $150. Good investment

Every wader has something in common... they all leak. Some less than others. I have used Simms waders in the past... then I used Dan Bailey's and now I use the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. To be honest I wish I switched to Orvis waders sooner. They are the most comfortable waders I have ever worn, hands down.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

I have been super happy with my Patagonia Rio G's and haven't had any problems other than a neoprene bootie seam leak in which Patagonia sent me an updated version at no cost.

I like the silver sonics but they just didn't hold up for me. I only got a little over a year out of them and the seam in the crotch just came apart. I actually just sent them back to orvis to be repaired for $40 a few weeks ago. They were very comfortable and very light compared to the simms g3's I bought a few months ago to replace the orvis waders. They were the most comfortable waders I've ever had. I've had cabelas, redington, and orvis now and got about 1 good year out of each of them before they started leaking. I don't know about the Simms yet but for the $500 I paid for them they better last at least a few years.

I purchase a pair of Silver Sonics in March of 2014. They work well. They just started to seep around the seem in behind my left knee. So they lasted 2 fishing seasons before leaking. I go out fishing at least 3 times a week. I am going to Aqua Seal the seam and see if it will stop the seepage.

If anyone has a better recommendation to seal up the seams, let me know.

Thanks.

Take them back to Orvis, you pay the shipping and most likely they will replace them, in my experience

Ive owned simms waders, they are ridiculously expensive (I had the G3s) and they leaked as much as any other wader i owned. They dont breath nearly as much as about every other wader out there. I have the Silver sonic convertible waders. ive blown the crotch seam out 2 times in 2 years. im on the water more than 100 days a year. So all i did was buy a second pair, and if one goes, i return them and get a new pair and just use my backup pair.

Simms = at least $400 (without sale) but the "best" waders they sell are $700. if someone on here wants to try to tell me a pair of waders are worth $700, your better off talking to a wall.

Orvis = under $300. with the best customer service in the FF industry along with the most comfortable waders.

FWIW, I've been generally disappointed with the longevity of breathable waders. All brands. As a general rule of thumb, yes, more expensive waders last longer, but you don't get more leak free time per dollar that way. You don't get less, either.

My experience has been 1 leak free year per $100. Spend $100, you get a year, spend $200, you get 2, spend $300, you get 3, etc.

Brands included in this: Hodgeman x2, Cabelas, Orvis x2, LL Bean.

FWIW, I do currently have Simms G3's that have been good so far. That said, they were $400 (and that's on special at the FF show) and are on year #2, so their life expectancy hasn't been used up yet, and the jury is still out.

But I think you do have to take a dollars per leak free time frame approach to this. The reality is that breathable waders are an expensive item that is fully expected to wear out and be replaced periodically.

Back