Orvis rod - broken tip

Atlas

Atlas

I recently broke the tip off of my Orvis Clearwater II 7' 9" 5wt rod. Not a super premium rod but definitely a go to rod for me! The thing is I bought the rod second hand so I am not sure what the deal is with Orvis rods and repairs. I am guessing that because I am not the original owner that the warranty is voided but does anyone have any experience with getting rods fixed by Orvis outside of a warranty? Will it be more expensive to fix than makes sense? Should I just take it to a retail store and see what they can do? Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Do you have an Orvis retail store location near you? I broke my Orivs rod a few weeks ago and called the store and asked what they needed from me. They said just bring it in.

I took the rod in the original tube. Did not need to show any paperwork or proof of purchase. I am the original owner but they didn't need proof. The store shipped entire rod to the factory and it is being repaired and shipped back to my door. The whole process does take 3-5 weeks from what they quote so you'll be out of a rod for a while but it is easy.

If you don't have an Orvis retail location nearby, here's what my warranty information says from the booklet that came with my rod:

"All Orvis rods carry a lifetime guarantee against breakage due to defects and material. Orvis 25-year Guarantee rods take this guarantee a step further. We will repair your broken rod for 25 full yard, no matter how you broke it. First, call the number below and get a repair number. Then package your broken rod in its tube, place is securely in a heavy outer cardboard shipping container, and send the entire rod to us, no matter which piece is broken. Enclose your name, shipping address, and repair number inside the package. We will return your rod to you, as good as new, usually in three to five weeks. Send to Orvis, Attn: Rod Repair, Historic Route 7A, Manchester, VT 05254. If you have questions about our rod repair policy, call our technical fishing line toll-free at 1-800-548-9548, Monday-Friday 9:00am-6:00pm."

Good luck.

I don't know about Orivis but at Sage they will still repair it for a flat charge that covers for repair, shipping, handling, etc. I think it was like $30, or maybe $50. (not 100% sure).

Same thing happened to me last year. Broke the tip off my Sage VPS 490 while fishing the Lil J. The rod is 20 years old. Sent the rod to Sage. They repaired it and sent it back within 3 weeks. Got it back but somehow during shipping, the tiptop eye ring got crushed. I was crushed because I was planning on going fishing the following week with it.

So I called them back, told the customer service lady my story. She told me to Fed Ex it to them and they would Fed Ex it back at no extra charge. Within a week I had it back, this time looking like new. Great service.

However, again, since I bought the rod used without paperwork transfer, they did charge that flat rate. Contact Orvis to find out the details of their policy. I image it would be similiar.

A friend of mine told them that his was a gift and he didn't have the warranty card. They repaired it anyway for $35. I also had to pay $35 when mine broke. All rods built after 2004 have that fee.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!. I will take it in and see what they say. $35 would be a lot better than a new rod!

Atlas, no need to lie to Orvis. Just tell them the truth about the rod. They will still take care of it for the flat fee. Orivs' customer service is top shelf. The same can be said for Loomis. Loomis replaced a broken rod for $35 after I told them I bought the rod used. They didn't even want the original tube. They sent me a new rod, tube and all..........Good luck Keith

I have dealt with the Orvis shop near you. They are easy to deal with. Take it over to them in the tube. As others have mentioned they will send it to the factory for you at their expense. It's been a few years since I had them replace a tip - but I think it was shipped back to me directly at no charge.

I have nothing but praise for the customer service response from Orvis.

Back