Orvis Recon

KeithS

KeithS

First off, I want to thank the guys at Orvis Plymouth meeting. Tom and the rest of the staff have been great to deal with since the first time I walked into the store. They are always patient and helpful. These guys go above and beyond.
After a couple of rod and reel issues that they took care of VERY quickly I decided it was time to upgrade. I replaced my 904-4 Clearwater, am now using a Recon, also a 904-4.
The rod is a very nice grayish olive color with a half wells grip. The cork is beautiful and smooth. This rod is easy to fish with.
When I casted this rod for the first time, I couldn't believe how light it was. The swing weight is also much lower than the Clearwater. It was immediately apparent how much tighter my loops were, and I'm not a great caster but am improving.
At 10 feet, 20 feet or 30 feet I'm more accurate than I've ever been. I've also found that I can shoot line better than I thought. I can carry 10 feet in the air and shoot another 35 feet. This rod just seems to match my casting motions.
This Recon is also sensitive. I can't remember feeling every rock in the stream before, which may explain my hate for nymphing. I knew exactly what was going on with my SH wets this morning and the catch rate proved it. I had a better morning today than ever.

Nice job Keith. What flex is it? From some of the reviews I've read, it's a pretty impressive rod.

I was hoping you'd chime in, Kray. You and Becker had me casting a couple of mid priced rods at the Newbie Jam in 2014 to show me the difference. I remember the immediate change from my rod to yours then, also. You had me casting your Legend Elite Ultra and Becker had his Sage One, I believe. At the time, I couldn't justify the extra cost in the rod.
The Recon is a stiffer rod than I thought I'd like. I had a good fish on yesterday and the bend in the rod looked progressive with a stiffer tip.

Back