Orvis Kit

FishInPhilly

FishInPhilly

Was browsing fly tying kits to get me started, and came about a really cool orvis fly tying kit circa 1978. Just won and paid for the auction. It also included a Thompson Type "A" vise in what looks like a very old box, but all in perfect condition.

The orvis kit is complete with a very nice leather bound "index of orvis fly patterns" and a "Fly tying how to get started" book. the latter is by Eric Leiser if that means anything.

Excited to get started. Should also have the free hooks soon that were provided by risen fly in their "post a comment to enter to win free hooks" thread he did recently.

My first vice was a thompson. And I used it for almost 20 years, before moving up to a regal.
That vice should serve you well.

Catching fish on flies that you tie, is very satisfying - and really makes you a complete fly fisherman IMO.
Have fun

I suspect that the majority of flies tied in 20th century were tied on a Thompson "A". It may not have some of the bells and whistles of more recent vises, but it's still a great basic model.

And yes, Eric Leiser is a well known name in fly tying.

How much? You could easily overpay for such a thing.

came to around 70 including shipping

it really depends what else you got in the kit and the condition of the tools. $70 can go a long way towards a good entry level vise.

sounds like a great buy just for those 3 items, leiser has written a few books on the subject. the index of patterns is a collectors item now also. still have and use my Thompson from the sixties along with other vices.

I have a Thompson that I purchased in the 70's or there about. It's still going strong and although I recently acquired a Griffith vice my Thompson is still set up on my desk and is still used for my saltwater and spinning needs. It's a very versatile vice that can tie from size 20 to 4/0.

Enjoy it. It was a very solid purchase.

PennKev wrote:
it really depends what else you got in the kit and the condition of the tools. $70 can go a long way towards a good entry level vise.

Everything was brand new and unused. It came with a bunch of materials(feathers, hares ear fur, some yellow feathers, white, a few other bags of unlabeled stuff and im a rookie so i dont know the technical names for the materials) , tinsel, wire, 2 different threads, bobbin, bodkin, tweezers, a ceramic/steel hair stacker, wax, and im probably leaving a few things out. I think if I choose to upgrade my vise anytime soon It will be the danvise. It looks to be a good value for what it does.

Even if I overpaid a little bit I think its a pretty cool set from the past. What more for a humble beginner trying to learn a very old art than a very old setup to get started on.

your gonna spend a lot more on materials then anything else. you should probably hit a shop to grab some cause it sounds like you can only tie a few basic patterns. a vise us a vise if it holds the hook you are in business. it is nice having a vice where there is no adjustment needed to hold most size hooks but im sure once you get into it further down the line you will invest in a nicer one like a regal.

a few good starter patterns are hears ear, pheasant tail, zebra midge. there are a ton but these are classic fish catching patterns.

Ive actually already bought a bunch of materials, thread, etc. ( about $50 worth including a whip finisher) and some 22 and 24 size hooks that im waiting for the trusty mailman to deliver (hopefully tomorrow so i can tie some this weekend) . making sure i have what i need to make some green weenies and trico spinners for Fish n Chips.

marcq wrote:
your gonna spend a lot more on materials then anything else. you should probably hit a shop to grab some cause it sounds like you can only tie a few basic patterns. a vise us a vise if it holds the hook you are in business. it is nice having a vice where there is no adjustment needed to hold most size hooks but im sure once you get into it further down the line you will invest in a nicer one like a regal.

a few good starter patterns are hears ear, pheasant tail, zebra midge. there are a ton but these are classic fish catching patterns.

sandfly wrote:
sounds like a great buy just for those 3 items, leiser has written a few books on the subject. the index of patterns is a collectors item now also. still have and use my Thompson from the sixties along with other vices.

Oh yes! It is a great buy, and that is a good entry level vise. I find myself using old Thompsons more and more.
Good luck tying!
Mike.

Well other than the couple i tied just experimentally to get a feel for things, here are the first two that I actually plan to use. a trico spinner on a size 24 and a green weenie on a size 16 from risenfly.com

tricospinner.jpg

greenweenie.jpg

Nice job! You started on the tiny, which is hard to do. But they look good. You can add a bead on the green weenie for a little more attraction and weight to help it get down.

its actually wrapped with .020 lead. Thanks for the tip though. yeah i was afraid to start on a size 24 but its not so bad, just a pain to handle the fly afterwards haha

DyberryBrookies wrote:
Nice job! You started on the tiny, which is hard to do. But they look good. You can add a bead on the green weenie for a little more attraction and weight to help it get down.

The tricos dont need tails. I would also add some al's tricos to the box if you are hitting the LL.

Why no tails? everything i read says specifically to put on the tails. I don't have the right kind of hackle on hand to do an AL's. Ill have to pick some up.I did do a CDC wing but it didn't turn out so pretty. I just did an elk hair caddis and a foam beetle also. pics attached

Attachments

• ELK HAIR 1.jpg
    ELK HAIR 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2
  • ELK HAIR 2.jpg
    ELK HAIR 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2
  • BEETLE.jpg
    BEETLE.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2
Some say tail some dont. The tail creates drag in the fly. I usually have ones with tails and ones with out them. Most of the time im useing the ones with no tail.

Back