Orvis HLS rods

tomgamber

tomgamber

I know they don;t make them anymore but does anyone have or know anything about them? I might buy a very slightly used one...wa wondering how it compared to other choices I have...the one i'm looking at is a 4pc 5wt 9ft...

Tom,

I have a 8'6" 4 weight HLS that i bought 12-15 years ago. At that time, it was one of Orvis's premium rods and cost me about $350
I fish strictly dries, and it has a great action for that, and is my most used rod.
It has had one annoying problem though, almost from the start.
The ferrule loosens up after a little casting.
2 years ago, a few of the guides started to fall off, and I sent it back to Orvis. To my surprise, they sent me a brand new HLS rod - I guess they still have some available, or can make them.
Anyway, the new rod has the same problem with the ferrule also.
And, just last year, I was talking to another angler I met on the stream who told me that he had the same problem with his HLS rod.
I would see if you can fish with it a little if possible before buying it

Its not near me so I don't know if thats possible but thanks for the info.

The Hls is now the clearwater classic.. Orvis still has a few in warehouse, depending on what model but most are gone..All they did was change the color and upgraded the fixtures.. Was always a good rod. Broke mine a few years back and they sent me a Tl, then last yaer broke that and received a T3..

Back