Orvis H3 5wt F vs D

P

Perdifly

I know this has been asked alot but I have a few specifics I wanted an opinion on.

Long story short, I am able to pick up one of the H3 rods at a nice discount. It will be replacing an 5wt H2 covert.

This is going to be my main dry fly rod.

I fish mostly small streams in southeast PA, and Central PA. Penns, Spring, Tully, breeches, etc. I am leaning towards the F since this is mostly for dry flys or dry/dropper rigs since the finesse might be more helpful when targeting the smart fish in smaller water.

My question is that I also double my H2 as a streamer rod (for trout) I usually will throw on a steamer tip line (extra spool) when I wanna chuck some big articulated streamers. Will I regret the F when is comes to switching over and chucking the big stuff, or will the use of the different fly line help bridge the gap between the F and D when it comes to the power to throw those lines.

Personally, I think throwing big articulated streamers with any 5 weight is an exercise in self punishment, if not futility. Consider getting a dedicated streamer rod instead.

The h2 is a good rod. The h3 is a good rod. The gain from an h2 to an h3 is minimal.

If you want to throw big articulated streamers and want an h3 then get an h3 8 weight. Any 5 weight will suck with big streamers. F, D, LMNOP, the letter won't matter if it's a 5 weight it ain't a streamer rod.

The h2 is a good rod. The h3 is a good rod. The gain from an h2 to an h3 is minimal.

If you want to throw big articulated streamers and want an h3 then get an h3 8 weight. Any 5 weight will suck with big streamers. F, D, LMNOP, the letter won't matter if it's a 5 weight it ain't a streamer rod.
True^. A 5wt can handle a smaller conehead bugger or similar streamer, but not "big articulated streamers" as you mentioned in your OP. I agree with the above posts, a 7 or 8 weight rod is the right tool for that big stuff.

As far a choosing an H3 F (Finesse) or an H3 D (Distance) for the rest of your fishing, I suggest you cast each one and choose the one that casts best for you. Good luck.

Ok here is another perspective. Since I have a med action 4wt nymphing rod that I could use for drys.

What are your opinions on which is a better use of a top tier rod.
6wt streamer rod. Or a 4/5 wt dry fly rod.

which would benefit more from the higher price point.

Ok here is another perspective. Since I have a med action 4wt nymphing rod that I could use for drys.

What are your opinions on which is a better use of a top tier rod.
6wt streamer rod. Or a 4/5 wt dry fly rod.

which would benefit more from the higher price point.
Which one would use more? For me, the answer would be easy; I would pick a high end dry fly rod, and then have a reasonable quality but economical 7 weight for the streamers, because I only fish streamers about 5% of the time. YMMV.

have the H3 D 9' 5 wt. I think that is great for what I do, which is average size wooly buggers. I have no experience with an H3 F fly rod. I also have the same size rod in the Orvis Recon version.

I like both of them. Since I don't have to hike into where I fish, the H3 is for wooly buggers while the Recon is used primarily for swinging soft hackles. This is what the Rod Vault is for. I do have a Recon 9' 7 wt. which I haven't fished with yet, but that will be for battling the wind and trying to bet more distance, but using the same flies.

That leaves me with another rod in my Rod Vault, which is for euro nymphing. I have 4 wt. rods that I can use for dry fly fishing, but the dry fly fishing isn't good enough to make me want to switch from what is already set up for sub-surface fishing.

Sometimes I will set up one of my fly rods for indicator/suspender nymph fishing with something that floats and is easy to see like a humpy and a small nymph dropper.

I have all of my late father's and grandfather's fly rods, which is why I have the Rod Vault. I try to use several on a fly fishing adventures.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a 6 weight that is a top tier streamer rod. If you want a streamer rod you need at least a 7.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you have a top tier dry fly/nymphing rod with the h2. Before you have multiple top tier rods in the same line weight, get top tier rods in other line weights. I dont like 5 weights because I can do everything and more with a 6. But if I were in your shoes and had a nice 5 I'd get a 7.

Thats not to say I have anything against redundancy. I have probably 7 9' 6wts that I'd consider high end. But I have 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s and 9s and multiple lengths in each. I have way too many rods.

There is no such thing as a 6 weight that is a top tier streamer rod. If you want a streamer rod you need at least a 7.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you have a top tier dry fly/nymphing rod with the h2. Before you have multiple top tier rods in the same line weight, get top tier rods in other line weights. I dont like 5 weights because I can do everything and more with a 6. But if I were in your shoes and had a nice 5 I'd get a 7.

Thats not to say I have anything against redundancy. I have probably 7 9' 6wts that I'd consider high end. But I have 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s and 9s and multiple lengths in each. I have way too many rods.
I should clarify. I don't have the H2 anymore. It was unrepairable, I'm getting a chance to replace it with an H3 as part of the warranty.

So I would agree that I don't need several top tier in the same weight. I fish mostly nymphing, then dry, then streamer (60%, 30%, 10% of the time respectively).

I also have 2 8wt in the quiver that I suppose would be better for big streamers.(I just never thought of taking them out for trout)

I think this has me leaning towards making this my dry fly rod.

Makes sense. Hard to go wrong with either they are both very nice rods. I'd try and cast both and see what you like better.

As another poster mentioned throwing any streamer with a hook larger than a #6 is going to be an unpleasant experience. Can you do it? Sure, but it is not an ideal rod any big articulated and air resistant streamers. I would recommend nothing less than a #7 weight rod if you intend to throw big bugs.

Personally if I were in your shoes I would use my Orvis credit to buy a 9’5wt recon. Use the money you saved to buy a mid-level streamer rod in 7wt, like the Echo Streamer X. Or if you are dead set on an h3 then use your 8wt for streamers. Either way, if you are going to streamer fish I would recommend at least having a full intermediate and a long head full sink line.

I think I'm stuck on the idea of the H3. That said, the Fly Fishing convention will be in Lancaster in a few weeks and I might just have to take a look at some 7wt rods.

It wouldn't be right if I didn't impulsively add another rod to my collection.

I'm a dry fly or wet fly/spider guy. Having said that I wouldn't spend big money to chuck streamers. One of those flying by at 100mph and nicking your rod will cause huge damage. If you need a streamer rod I have a nice 6wt I'll give you. Never been used. It's a white river 270, 6wt 3 piece. All yours.

Ha, thats a good point. For a little as I streamer fish, I dont think it would make sense to spend a mint on a streamer rod. And thanks for the offer but, I can manage with what I've got.

I'm a dry fly or wet fly/spider guy. Having said that I wouldn't spend big money to chuck streamers. One of those flying by at 100mph and nicking your rod will cause huge damage. If you need a streamer rod I have a nice 6wt I'll give you. Never been used. It's a white river 270, 6wt 3 piece. All yours.
A very nice & thoughtful gesture.

I'm late to the party but I'm always willing to offer my two cents.

If Orvis was giving you a replacement rod, the h3f is probably their best offering. Unless you're fishing in windy conditions, with big hoppers or on huge rivers, that is what the d model is designed for. I cringe when someone is bragging about their ultra Uber fast 2-3 weight.... which they use on 18' wide creeks. Pointless IMHO, a lot more work and many more lost fish die to the stiffness.

I'd take a top tier dry fly rod or all around rod for free and buy a <$100 streamer stick. Streamer rod sees much less action and to be honest, even a turd of a 7wt will toss big stuff (if lined correctly) and land a 25" brown.

I fished a H2 for two days and I thought it was an excellent ride. The guy who bought it got talked into buying a tip flex and struggled to cast it. He told me I could keep it but I handed it back to him and insisted he go to the Orvis shop that sold it to him. They ended up trading him a mid flex which he loved. Kind of wish I would have kept the rod since I don't talk to that guy anymore 🤣🤣

I got to cast both one afternoon on Penns with dry flies.
To me, the D version was good for distance casting. That's about it.
The F version was better suited for Penns but not past 50ft.
Like krayfish, I liked the H2 and even the H1 versions much better.

Back